• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lowrance H2O GPS

PiKeGuY101

So what is everyones opinion about the Lowrance H2O GPS unit? I am looking at buying one and could use some feed back ie: where to buy, what the best chips are, and all around operation of the unit-good or bad... I will be using it on Lake Waconia and Mille Lacs a lot, as well as other small lakes in the SW metro area - Thanks!

I love mine. I have the H20c. Lakemaster 2007 chip. Works great on the pond, minnetonka, BSL, for High def. Works good for the other non high def lakes.

The only thing I do not like is the speed sensor, you have to be going like 2mph for it to work.

I got mine at Gander, also got the RAM mount for the boat.

m2c

I own the H2Oc with the new minnesota lakemaster chip. I like the unit quite a bit. The only complaint I have with it is how easy the screen can get scratched. I usually put it in a ziploc bag everytime it's not sitting on my ram mount in my boat. My friend has the same unit and the screen got quite a few dings on it before realizing how easy the screen can scratch. If you do buy it I would strongly recommend getting a chip to go in it.

Versus

Quote:

The only complaint I have with it is how easy the screen can get scratched. I usually put it in a ziploc bag everytime it's not sitting on my ram mount in my boat. My friend has the same unit and the screen got quite a few dings on it before realizing how easy the screen can scratch.

I think this problem is pretty much universal among GPS receivers (iPods, etc also have a screen scratch problem). There are companies that make screen protectors that stick to the GPS screen to prevent scratching. Just search google for "GPS screen protectors". I got one at www.boxwave.com and it seems to work quite well.

Got one last year and love it. I just have the H2O, easier on batteries. I use the current lakemaster chip and it works great. I use mine for Ice Fishing and this year for hunting. I found mine on Craig's List for around $100.

I am thinking of getting a LakeMaster chip for my Garmin GPS and have a few questions about the non high defintion lakes. How many foot contours? Any info like reefs and rockpiles?

The non high def lakes are typically the DNR supplied maps with 5ft contours. Also remember the depths on the chips can be off. For example on Mille Lacs subtract three feet as lake is lower than when they surveyed it. I have an H2Oc with the Lakemaster chip and it is a great tool. Wouldn't be without it.

you can fix this for even cheaper. go to blockbuster video and ask them for one of the lamination sheets they use to make the cards, they fit the H20 screen perfectly. cut the non sticky side off, peel the paper and stick it on the screen, it seemed to make the contrast on my screen a little better also.

I have an H2Oc and like it pretty well, other than the same issues others have had. I have the 2007 navionics premier chip and really like it. The only advice I would have for you is to buy one from one of the bigger stores with good cust. service just because Lowrance's ain't what it used to be. This is my secound one because my first one just quit working, wouldn't turn on. So I e-mailed lowrance and after about my 4th or 5th e-mail finally got the responce, send it in but its like a $150.00 dollar min. charge to fix it. And don't even try to call them unless you want to sit on hold for 20 min. then get hung up on by a computer. WOW I guess I needed to vent sorry. So I guess my point is I took it back to Gander Mt. and exchanged it no problem. Have had no problems with the new one.

Hey has anyone else had problems with the little black plastic molding around the edges coming off a little bit? I returned one unit because i thought it might be a problem only to have the new one do the exact same thing. Is this going to affect the waterproofness of the unit?

If that is a problem I would love to know, I just bought the expeditionC last week and I am loving it but the rubber ring is a little bit off if any one knows the answer please fill us in. THnak you

Before I got my H2Oc, I owned a Garmin 12XL. The Garmins screen was somewhat recessed and if it was set face down, the screen wouldn't even touch the surface. Had my Garmin for about 10 years, never put it in a case, and the screen doesn't have one scratch on it. My new H2Oc got a scratch the first time out. I purchased the accessory carring case but it makes the screen hard to read. Hopefully Lowrance will modify it's design in the future.

Although the H2Oc does eat up the batteries, I think that the color screen is the way to go. I've got a buddy with the H2O and his screen is a lot harder to read in the sun than the H2Oc.

The only thing I wish would be changed on the H2O is when night fishing you need to keep turning the light on. Is there a feature that you can keep the light on?

Scott

Quote:

The only thing I wish would be changed on the H2O is when night fishing you need to keep turning the light on. Is there a feature that you can keep the light on?

Scott

It will toast your batteries in no time! If you run it with the cig lighter adapter, the light should stay on.

You can set the backlight on with regular batteries (I think it's in Menu--->Display), but you will not get much battery life.

Alright so after one trip to Mille Lacs I love it, also thanks for all the input - it helps to hear good suff about a product before you buy it! As for the battery life I put in Enegizer Litium E2 - there like $18 for a 8 pack but work great for dig cameras, and other new tech stuff, i've run mine for about 2 hours or so and the battery meter is still full... Anyway I cant wait to use it for Ice Fishing! Also good tip on the PDA screen covers

The H2O's screens scratch really easily "CRAP" my Garmin is over 10 years old and has way less scratches fortunately the scratches do not effect it when in use.

Great tool for locating structure and depth quickly....

i bouoght the expedition around a year ago and bought the standard black case and cut out just around the screen. Now I can see great and never beat up the unit. I have yet to scratch the unit, I don't know what some people do to there gps.

No dought gund! After you spend 400 bucks on a toy you might want to keep it nice! Either way "to each there own!"

I've had the H20 for about a year and a half now, and love it. It makes it a heck of a lot easier to find what you are looking for, especially when you are on a new body of water!! No problems to date.

I usually turn mine off when I get to the spot to save battery life and it makes a big difference. Its easy to turn it on and off when you need it. If you are going to troll with it, get the lighter adapter. I normally just use Energizer Max, but am going to try the Lithium next.

Question, is there a way to print off the lake master maps with your coordinates / wave points on it?

KSW

The H2O is the best unit for the price.. As for chips most people I know including me use and love the lakemaster 07 chip... cool.gif

Anyone had this problem?

After running the H2Oc on the power adapter, the unit overheats and shuts itself off. It won't repower until it cools down.

I sold my H2O and bought the Explorer with the electronic compass. The only reason for doing this was when I was vertical jigging for walleyes or lake Trout my H2O would lose it's position orientation and I had to walk to the front or back of the boat to reorient so I could stay on the school. The Explorer has an added option for orientation and lets you pick "heading" which uses the electronic compass for orientation. Just had to keep the unit in a horizontal position pointing forward and I always knew where I was from my waypoints. The only complaint I have is that the cig cord plug is not robust enough. I have went through a couple now. The connector at the unit doesn't snap good enough and looses connection and if you don't notice when it disconnects it switches over to the batteries and will drain them fast if you are using the backlight.

Jigeye

Quote:

Anyone had this problem?

After running the H2Oc on the power adapter, the unit overheats and shuts itself off. It won't repower until it cools down.

I've had it plugged to the power adapter for a couple of 4 hour stretches without issue. I've only had it for about a month, so I don't know if your issue has happened all along or only after having it awhile.