• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Dogs jumping off docks.

Ely Lake Expert

My GSP's are funny. They both love swimming and love their tennis ball. Funny thing is I can be standing halfway down the dock, throw the tennis ball way out there and one of my dogs runs and jumps off the end of the dock (espn2 long jump style) and the other one runs to shore jumps through the water until she has to swim. We never taught her how to do this, one day she just started jumping off the end of the dock. It was wierd and unexpected.

Does anyone else have a dock jumper? If so did you teach them how or did the dog do it themselves?

ELE

I have had 5 black labs and only the last one would jump off of docks.

She learned this on her own and loved to do it. She would spend a lot of the day just running full tilt down the dock and jumping off the end of the dock. She seemed to be trying to beat her last distance each time! smile.gif

Cliff

This summer, ESPN is holding a jump here in winton/ely.. Not sure what they are called, the one where the dog jumps and grabs the bumper and then falls into a big pool like..

Mine will jump off no problem...

She learned it from a neighbor dog that just kind of plopped off the end. Then, Mine just started to take off and really fly. At 6 years old, she is clearing 18 feet. I've entered her into a couple of dock-dog events (one at the pet expo in February and one at Cabelas) She ended up taking a 1st in senior class at the expo in 2006.

Lots of fun to work with her on it..and she gets a bunch of watchers...They just get a kick out of seeing her do it.

Steve

In todays paper there was an article about a yellow Lab, (Isaac) from Bovey that will be competing this upcoming weekend on the "Outdoor channel". The 3-year old Lab earned his way there by winning the Midwest qualifying event at Terre Haute, Ind., Sept. 14-16. It said Isaac is ranked eighth nationally, tied with two other dogs. His longest jump is 25' 11', we'll have to cheer him on this weekend.

My lab jumps off the docks after dummies and whichever family member jumps in. No matter where she is or what she is doing, if one of us goes in, she will run off the dock and jump in right after. Maybe she thinks she is saving us...

Quote:

This summer, ESPN is holding a jump here in winton/ely.. Not sure what they are called, the one where the dog jumps and grabs the bumper and then falls into a big pool like..

Sweet, maybe I should start practicing with her. She has some hops grin.gif

Ely Lake

Yes you should.. it will be held at the gun and rod club. I will let you know on updates as it moves closer to the date..

Kallista,

Ya thanks. Let me know and if she is doing well I will give it a try.

The dark lab in my avatar, Oscar, loves to jump off the dock, there will be nothing in the water but he'll still jump. Swim around for a couple seconds and then come in and do it all over again. I might even try to train him to do the dock jump competition stuff but we'll see. cool.gif

I have a couple that like to do it. It just seems that they are so consumed with the bumper they fly to get it.

One thing to remember all is this...If you are dock jumping make sure that you have something over the end of the dock to fill up the gaps in the boards...Your dogs toes WILL get caught in there and all you will hear is a "Yipe!" and then you have a broken toenail or worse toe.

They are fun to watch and to get to make a stylish water entry but another thing is that you will have to be careful in hunting situations that you know the area and the dog does not jump on a submerged stick or dock pole and impale themselves. Fun is fun but dog safety first.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.