• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Dogs that are going duck hunting

Ely Lake Expert

Well everyone, lets talk about our duck dogs. Whether they are yours or your hunting partners tell us about them. We are taking our two 1 year old German Shorthairs (Sara and Nina) out for their second season of duck hunting, they were definately rookies last year and were kind of confused by the concept waiting on shore for the birds. Though by the end of pheasant season, they seemed like they had been doing it for years. I hope they do better tommorow. Then my dad's friend bill has a older black lab named Cinder who is a good swimmer and has retreived many ducks in the past and I am sure will continue.

Everyone else, what kind of dogs and how old are they? Also post up some pictures if you are better with a computer than me crazy.gif

I have a big strong 1.5 year old Black Lab Augie. Last year he got one teal and chased around a few grouse and game farm pheasants. I am hoping for big things this weekend. His older mentor was lost this winter to bone cancer. I wish the old dog could show the new dog some old tricks, but he will have to rely on me.

I know I will get wet hauling that beast in and out of the boat, but it will be well worth it.

The Count down is on!!!!!!!!!!

We will be using 2 black labs. One is 3 years old and last year she learned how to use the dog ladder on the boat very quickly. The other one is a 1 year old and this will be her first duck hunt, so I am excited to see what she will do. I know that she is a great swimmer and she is definetly not afraid of the guns.

Great topic!

My boy Jake from last year. This will be his 9th duck season. He's my #1 hunting partner, a tough old boy.

Duckhunts06029.jpg

Duckhunts06_0271.jpg

Chuck, that last pic is awesome. I bet you had that lake all to yourself that day!! I love the late season hunts. Good looking lab you got there as well.

Quote:

Great topic!

My boy Jake from last year. This will be his 9th duck season. He's my #1 hunting partner, a tough old boy.

Duckhunts06029.jpg

Duckhunts06_0271.jpg

I have a 10 year old Black lab "BUD" who I have yet see his equal as a duck dog. The last 2 weeks he has been getting a little anxious, going sitting next to the truck ready to go I think he knows what time of year it is.

Hoping my 5 month old black lab pup "Murphy" will pick up a trick or two from the old dog. It will be his first hunt.

I have pics but not on this computer.

Well shes the last one left of my crew.Stopped guiding so I did'nt bring one up under her. At 12 she made me very proud on a late season hunt in roch not a problem with the big honkers we shot didnt miss a beat with several other dogs getting commands.Shot some killer video of it..

She caught 3 grouse last year.I watched her as she does the creeping point and as soon as the grouse turn its attention to me its over.

Now shes 14 and the best gun dog/ friend I have ever had.We are going to hit it this fall starting off on a few easy beaver pond hunts then south to LQP and Bigstone for a week or so of mixed prairie hunts.....

IMG_0118.jpg

This is DeeDee as she does her favorite past time swinging on the deck. Im not sure when she goes if Ill have the heart to continue hunting without her. I have been so blessed....

Mutha... I know how you feel. Lost mine last year after only 12 seasons. They sure are great friends in the blind aren't they? She loved hunting to the day we had to put her down. I wanted to keep her longer but I realized that with all the pain she was starting to go through it would not be fair to her. I am going again this year even though she is gone now. I found her "successful retreive treats" in my hunting bucket today and they are still there. Memories will keep her with me in the blind every time that I go out. Take care and N Joy every day that you get to hunt with her././Jimbo

Here is my co-worker and myselfs limits. Thats my lab Zoey, this is her fourth year of hunting at 3.5 years old.

Geese_008.jpg

Well my 1.5 year old had his first real outing. I would grade him out at about a "B". He was marking great and brought back 6 out of 8 birds. He struggled with some live birds and barked at them. He also did not want to hand the birds to me or cross some beaver runs with the bird in his mouth. He also would bark at the live birds and "play" with them. All said and done...he brought them back and marked them...so..I am pleased. His nose was really working too getting them out of some thick rice. I did end up using the leash to keep him from destroying the blind and flaring the ducks if we were shooting or if anybody on the lake was shooting, but his drive is great.

Muthagoose,

I recognize that old pup. This is GSP from on the fuge, I am back in MN now. I will swing in and say hello sometime this week.

On a different note, one of my GSP's made her first 3 retrieves this weekend only because she swims faster than the lab that was with us though the lab still got most of the ducks. My other GSP still doesn't quite understand duck hunting, hopefully she will, she is going to keep coming with.

ELE

I've got quite a selection at my house. My current herd includes two chessies, two black labs, one yellow lab and a wiener dog who thinks he's a lab.

Here's my chessie. She's 8 years old and a real go-getter.

10273.jpg

Here's the face she gives me when I miss.

1022062.jpg

Here's my yellow lab

maggieduck1.jpg

Here's my wiener dog fetching a bw teal.

budtealwater.jpg

Bringing it all the way in.

budfetch.jpg

Life is good.

Randy

The pic of her face when you miss made me lol grin.gif . Also sweet retrieving wiener dog.

Yup, I only take the wiener dog in early season when the water is warm and only let him fetch when it's a small duck very close to shore. The funny thing about him is that with such short legs, he has no ballast when he swims. If he turns too sharp, he rolls under the water. He always comes up the right way but sometimes I wonder. grin.gif

RB,

The thing you said about the wiener dog thinking she is a lab. My cousin has a wiener dog and a German shepard, they are best friends and sometimes I could swear the wiener dog thinks she is as big as a german shepard.

If i could get a picture of my budy on here i would. I wish I had time for a dog.

Here is one other pic of my dog with a tundra swan.

IMG_0646.jpg

And one of my dog and my partners dog

IMG_0651.jpg

• 1 year later...

Well It happened this summer had to put DeeDee down.I could no longer watch her suffer no matter how much I wanted her around.. I watched birds fly over my new boat and hand carved decoys this fall, just couldnt shoot.

For weeks a email remained unopened that had been forwarded to me about a free 3.5 year old female lab needing a "good" home..

I figured lets go see I wanted to take a ride and gas prices were down...

When we got to Menomonie, Jason Ablers met us with a warm welcome and was honest saying she is small and he was cutting down the size of his run and couldn't get anyone to take her because of her size and less than perfect retrieves. he showed me his other dogs in his kennel. I was in awe with his favorite"Angel" a pointing lab trial champ that came from the same stud bitsy was..

When we approached the kennel a little tiny black lab was almost clearing the top of the kennel.When she was let out she came and sat at heel next to me like we had been together forever.. When I opened the kennel in the back of the wifes car Bitsy jumped right in and sat down.. Something weird was going on. She Came from Willow Rivers Grizzly and from what Jason said he is a top notch point lab thats won several titles.. To me I didnt care, but he assured me she will hunt, all he wanted was for her to have a good home.

When I took her out the first day she locked up on a grouse and inside of a couple weeks she retrieves as good as any.

Small isnt the word, 40lbs of rocket with a heat seeker nose. I have never seen a lab lock in mid air and set point like her.

Heres a picture of Bitsy...

IMG_1377.jpg

Some one was looking out for me.Will always remember and miss DeeDee as well as those before her.

I am surely blessed ..Cant thank Jason enough, for his kindness has brought a unbelievable gunner into my life and Bitsy has a very comfortable life ahead of her.She is with me 24 - 7 like those before her.

This is Gunner a 2 year 8 month old yellow lab. This is is second goose hunting season. The first year took several hunts for him to get use to bringing back geese. But one day he just got it. His first retrieve was a banded goose. He also hunts along side of a chocolate lab Moose (buddies dog). Moose is a month younger then Gunner. This year Moose also caught on, and his first retrieve was also a banded goose. Gunner has had a good year so far. He has been apart of 85 geese harvested, 25 roosters, 10 grouse. Only bad thing about a good dog, is you never have to leave the blind, which means you don't have a chance to burn off all of those snicker bars and doughnuts a guy eats before the birds fly. smile

Gunner_5148-1.jpg

GunnerIMGA0078.jpg

25geesedogsIMGA0090.jpg

Setup_5083.jpg