• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Which Trail Cam?

Copper25

I tried searching just not having any luck. I'm looking to buy my first trail cam and wondering if you have any advice. I live 3+ hours from where I hunt. However, I do have someone that could swap memory cards out of the camera if that works best.

I'd like to stay in the $100-200 price range if possible.

What options do you look for in a camera?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

Good post!

I am in the market for one! They seem to be alot of fun. I own a good section of woods behind my house and know a ton of deer cut threw it at night and in early A.M...

The guy down the road said a good sized buck has been around and I would like to see what we have.

I know Menards had some last year. I kick my self in the butt, because they clearenced them out cheap.

Just went to Cabela's in Rogers!

Whoow! they had one for $100. But anything good started at $200 and went up to $500.00!

I am going to look at Sportsmans in CR in the next hour!

no probs with a stealth cam. cudde backs a bit better, if money isn't an issue. someone makes one that you can have a reciever at your home computer, and connect wirelessly to up to 30 cameras i believe, so you don't have to leave the house to check whats on them. BIG BUCKS though, nearly 2 big ones. You'll definetly want a digital camera though.

I have a moultrie I spy 4.0MP with the IR flash. It is a great camera, with a 1GB card it can take over 1000 pics. Also extremely good with batteries. It has been out over 3 months on the same 6 D cell batteries and taken over 4000 pics with no problem.

I also have two Cabelas 4.0MP cameras(made by Moultrie) with a regular white flash on them. They are both really good as well and take excellent pics. They use a 6V battery and are very low draw as well.

I like the IR better because I think the IR flash is less likely to spook deer. But both Cameras are great and I would buy them again in a heartbeat.

The Moutrie was about 220 for the cam plus batteries and SD card. I got a 3 pack of 1GB cards at best buy for around $45 I think.

I almost bought this one at Walfart today for $100.00 bucks!

The only thing is it has a bulb flash! IR does sounds like the way to go, not to scare off deer for future shots!

0005369512380_150X150.jpg

You must have this model?

0005369512370_150X150.jpg

this one is $199.00 at walfart! grin.gif

They are both 4 Pixals!

Thanks for the info! I might own a new trail cam in the morning!

I have a cudde-back and a couple leaf rivers. The cudde is junk and I don't use it. The 2 leaf rivers are work horses but have a slow trigger, one white flash and one no-flash. no trouble with eaither for a couple years now.

The new Moultrie is getting great reviews from users on this board and a couple other hunting boards also. I guess they have a white out issue that an upgrade will fix and its available on there website. I will be getting one soon and I will only buy IR"s from now on.

shackbash yep that's the one I got. I might have to make a trip there sometime soon and pick up another one or two or three....

a guy at work was telling me how he got a cudde back at cabelas bargain cave. he said it took great pictures at night with the no flash IR. however, it was of the deer as they ran away. Didn't know if the camera clicked, or made a sound like it, but the deer were photographed as they turned and ran away, with a burst mode setting.

i have the moultrie ir and I love it, it takes good video too. I have a cuddeback too and last year it worked great but this year its not holding up very well, its not taking very many pics and I know the deer are there.

Thanks everyone. I had never heard of the moultrie but it sounds like people are satisfied with it. I might give this one a try!

Jason

I was watching a Dream Season hunting video with the Drury team and they used what was called the Wildlife Eye. It took video and really good video at that!!! I might give them a look. And the ones you can just check from home......That's crazy!!!

I would highly the Moultries, very reliable and they take good pictures. For $100-200 you can't go wrong. Watch for a sale on the 1GB SD cards and you're good to go. I would NOT recommend the Leaf River's!!! Good when they work but I keep having to send them back to the shop. Not what you want when the rut is kicking in!!

I would not worry about the flash, I have multiple flash pictures of the same deer.

The more you spend, the faster the response time will be. On the slower cameras you will need to face them down the trail or over a salt block.

For a starter you can't go wrong with that $100 Moultrie, its digital, its reliable, its a good camera for the price.

The $100.00 Moultrie shoots video also! Not a long shot, but I read on box it does have video. Also it had 16mb of built in memory. Thata enough for 10-20 pics I am sure.

Walmart in ER had a Wildlife Eye on sale for $139.00 (Reg. $169.00). It was almost the same thing as the $100 Moutrie, but it had 68 built in Mega bites of memory and a larger flash bulb range.

I would still go for Moultrie!

I really have been looking at the Moulrie I-60. $299.00 at walfart. Here are come specs.

Moultrie Game Spy I-60 Digital Game Camera:

Infrared camera with no visible white flash

6.0 Megapixel resolution

Built-in 1.5" picture and video viewer

Wireless remote activator and finder

1-second response time

150-day battery life

50 ft. flash

Password security feature

Easy-read photo strip

Barometric pressure reading

Stamp on every photo and video

Color day and night pictures

Day and night video clips

4 different picture resolutions, 2 different video resolutions

Laser and IR aim

Time lapse mode

Multi-shot pictures (up to 3 shots)

Upgradeable software

32MB internal memory

Expandable memory: up to 4GB with SD card (card not included)

Weather-resistant, airtight camera housing and seal

Requires 6 "D" batteries (not included)

Includes:

USB cable

TV Out cable

Mounting strap

All right I bought one today! Do not laugh, but I figure since I am useing in my back yard woods and not trying to target a fall mounter, I went cheap! I may regret it, but I can return if needed.

I bought a Wildview STC-TGL1 at Menards for $39.00. Digi 3 pix camera, strob flash, 8mg of built in memory, SD upgrade memory slot (up to 512mb), USB down load port (with cable), Mounting strap, LCD photo counter display and some more settings. I figure I am just trying it out and I hate blowing $200-$300 on something that ends up siting on a shelf in my garage!

I took the first pic a minute ago. This was in total darkness of my garage. Does not look to bad!

Zy1PUu0jXtgoVPH-7QmLCwiJv4ktEaq-0280.jpg

Anyone have any failures with this camera? I figure for $39.00 (includes $10 mail in rebate), how could you go wrong or did I. We will see after this first rain how its does.

I've heard mixed reviews on the Wildview's. Mostly bad but some good. Looks like it works great in the garage!

I have the wildview and one of the cheaper moultrie digital cams. The wildview seems to have better battery life than the moultrie and I think it is a lot easier to set up too. The trigger time isn't the fastest and sometimes i get pictures of just a deers butt but overall I really like it.

norm,

That is what I was thinking also! The action I had to put forth to get it to take picture was kind of alot (as you can see).

Its out in the woods right now, we will see how it works in next couple of days. I will pick up "bait" tonight and this rain is giving it a good run through (we will see if it is still working)!

Quote:

At least it takes pictures of dance moves.

I knew I would catch he11 for that pic... I could have taken another, but I figured what the hay! grin.gif

Does every trail cam out there give a time and date stamp? I would assume so since the pictures wouldn't be as useful without them, but I thought I'd ask.

A newbie here who's probably at least a year away from a trail camera...

This one does not!

I figured since I will check it before work and in the evening, I will get an idea! But! I can see were this would be an issue if ones land is a weekend only get to area!