• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Jeff Foils

Guest Kyle

I recently purchased Jeff Foils movie for the first time. Why does he and everyone else that is associated with him, insist on blowing birds to pieces before they hit the ground? I know no one likes to chase after cripples, and its more humane to kill them quickly, but in my mind the meat is ruined, and there is no other logical reason to do it. I know that is his livelihood, but honestly....It makes me kinda sick watching that. There is no beauty or soul in what they are doing in my mind. Does anyone else agree, or am I off my rocker?

foiles has been a beat to death topic on every waterfowl forum on the web. some people love seeing grindfests like his movies. i know they keep shooting the mallards on his hunt club to prevent dogs chasing cripples into flooded standing corn. hes also been accused of doing some not legal things (50 minute mark falling skys 4) im sure many people have heard by now what he does on film. love him or hate him he makes great sounding calls, does lots of stuff for charity, etc. but the beauty of america is everybody can have their own opinion. theres plenty of great equipment and movies without the foiles name, but theres great stuff with his name on it too. hopefully this thread doesnt turn into another biatch fest like on the avery and refuge forums. as long as nobody is drinking the kool-aid i dont see that happening here though.

Don't we have better things to do with our time then complain about something so rediculous? if you don't like it don't view it simple as that.

I understand if a someone doesnt like something, then they dont have to watch it. This was my first dvd purchase of his, and I had no idea it was going to be like that. Im simply wondering if others found it to be a little extreme. To tell you the truth, I think it would be unfortunate for an anti hunter to watch something like that, and then make phony comments like "hunters just brutally kill things. There is not any meat left on the bird". I think Foils makes good products, and Im not saying that every single hunt on his video is extremely brutal like that, I was just wondering what others thought. This is a forum for thoughts about hunting, fishing, and things that have to do with the sports. I guess if you have better things to do, or dont like this thread, then dont read it. simple as that.

Quote:

Latest rumor I heard is that he was busted dumping a large number of birds in a road ditch in Canada. He is a great guy.

Have an agenda here BigTen? Can you back up this claim or is it just rumor you heard? To me it is absolutely garbage to post something like that with out some kind of material to back it up.

And don't think I am drinking the Foiles kool aid either. Yes I use his calls but I agree the original poster about all of the unnecessary shooting and close ups in his and a lot of the other videos out there. Personally I wish those hunting videos would spend more time describing where they are hunting, what the weather conditions are and have been, and their choice of decoy set up and show them calling more than just 4+ hours of glory shots and shooting. To me, that would be a much better video.

What does my post say?

I think its garbage to make a video that thousands of kids are watching and 3 shells just isn't enough for him, he's gotta shoot 4 times. And then try to justify it by saying he can pop a fourth shell in while he shoots. That fourth shot really made the video, but at the same time he lost a lot of credibility with a lot of people.

If he didn't have the rep for being the way he is, things like that wouldn't be floating around. I have no idea if its true or not. Usually there is a relationship between smoke and fire. All I know is that I was told that scheels was going to stop carrying his products as a result of said rumor.

I was going to go scout tonight, but now I don't think I will because you think what I wrote is garbage. I'm just going to stay home and lock myself in my room. frown.gif

Good day now.

I talked to Jeff about it at the GameFair a few years ago and he said that the reason his videos are like that is that people keep asking for it. He says all of this feedback comes from people who love his videos for all of the "grinding". The guy knows how to market and sell himself and his company. Hunting videos and tv shows seem to get more flack than anything, and he is the target of a lot of it. If he didn't sell so many videos so many people wouldn't be talking about it. I haven't bought his latest two Fallin' Skies, because I like the more behind the scenes teaching and background stuff, but more power to him. The guy knows a lot about hunting and makes some great calls, and when it comes down to it, there are not a whole lot of guys that wouldn't change jobs with him in a second!

I don't find them extreme enough. He should have some chew spit in slow motion. Maybe a shot of Grandmas cough medicine on those cold mornings after the deeks are set up. grin.gif

You guys obviously haven't watched the Duckmen videos lately.

Now there is a bunch of slow mo, crack shot, feathers flying, neck wringing, head rolling video.

4 shells aint as bad as he does to a downed bird in one of his older videos.Should have been a wanton waste charge..

Grounds did it also in"get down and cover up" watch the morning horizon shoot in the video. The blind to the rights muzzle flash,123 and 4.. His "B brand" auto< dont remember off hand which but its listed in the credits will allow one under the bolt.

I always try to get the birds to "finish" Paddles down, necks stretching right over the decoys..I laugh when you hear how great the decoying was in some shows 35 and out is decoy'd. Too funny when seeing a flock pass "over" and they call it good through out show.

The confusion of birds rise'n and birds still setting used to be the challenge. The old lead days you had the right shot and choke or ya waited till.

Cant these guys let em get out a ways ""IF"" they get paddles down. In my opinion there are a lot of " weak videos ".....................

Quote:

And don't think I am drinking the Foiles kool aid either. Yes I use his calls but I agree the original poster about all of the unnecessary shooting and close ups in his and a lot of the other videos out there. Personally I wish those hunting videos would spend more time describing where they are hunting, what the weather conditions are and have been, and their choice of decoy set up and show them calling more than just 4+ hours of glory shots and shooting. To me, that would be a much better video.

wallmounter,

I agree, I wish these videos tried to teach alittle bit more. Watching him kill ducks is not gonna help me kill them.

Bushwacker,

I also agree with you, he does sell himself well ect, and he does seem to know alot about hunting. I talked to him two a few years ago, he seemed pretty nice. I hadnt watched his video till now.

Hanson,

I have watched the Duckman videos lately. Alot of them. He does have something serious against those cotton mouths. I probably would to if I lived down there and hunted all the time, and if my sister had gotten bit as a little girl and almost died like his did. Not sure what you mean by crack shots? Not sure how much you bird hunt, but feathers fly when you shoot them...and sometimes if the bird isnt dead, you actually have to wring there necks. There are some pretty graphic video shots, but for me, he is on the desent side of the line still. Hes just a southern back woods man that loves to hunt. I havent seen him shoot three more times at a duck that already died on the first shot before it hit the ground though...

Ok- to everyone else-

My intention was not to start arguements on this post, I was just kind of shocked at some of Foiles methods on shooting ducks. Todays chokes, and super fast flying, non toxic-non steel shot are pretty deadly. I expect to see some real hard slams on birds in every movie out there. For me though, and my whole reason for commenting in the first place, was that I noticed him/his people shoot several times at already dead ducks...Thats it. I guess I like to eat the game that I am able to take.

I know Jeff as well. He only films what he hears people tell him they want to see. People like heads flying off and birds getting fluffed on the way down. Chew spitt and deer with rifles. Realtree wouldn't back bad film. I don't think there is enough Grinding in his video's but thats just my opinion. After talking to him again we should see some Grinding added. Yes my two girls love seeing it. They are 2 and 4 and the 2 year old even says its awsome.

hunter4life

The next time you are going to buy a video it would be an option to ask us to rate the video for you. You may want to buy some Buck Gardner, or RNT video's.

rnt stands for "rich -n- tone" a duck and goose call making company

As posted earlier about dumping birds in the ditch in Canada, was that the result of the bird flu that shut down all of Sask. as far as the import of "any" birds to the US? Reports are that they wanted birds disposed of. If this was a current report, this may be why it happened.

This is from a buddy of mine who used to guide for Jeff but as a result of Jeff actions does not anymore. They were hunting one morning when a CO came up to check them. Jeff made them comment that he was going to f*** with him. He ends up yell at the guy, treating him like crap the whole time he is checking everyone. When he checks my buddy he apologizes for the incident and said in MN if he acted like that he would be arrested pretty quick. He was completely embarassed and also apologized to the clients that day as they looked pretty freaked out. I have heard some good and bad about Jeff but the big thing is things awlays come back around so watch out. The fourth shot is pretty easy if he had the older Benelli that would hold the cheater shell, I watched the video and couldn't say that he palmed it but that is just me.

Unfortunately there are lots of stories just like yours about him floating around, NE angler. Foiles is losing cred at a record pace among the people who are plugged in.

Just my input on Jeff Foiles, never liked him and never will. I believe he is detriment to the sport of goose hunting and he is the type that will ruin it for the rest of us when the animal rights activists, etc get wind of the things he does and has done. His name to me is Jeff Spoiles.

as long as he is in the business to make money he will keep doing controversial stuff to rake in the dough...and as long as there are guys out there who want to see the "grindage" he puts out in his videos there will continue to be this debate over Jeff Foiles.

Personally, anyone who intentionally shoots a bird after it is already dead is a detriment to our sport and a liability in terms of the publicity we as hunters receive from the media.

I'd like to see a hunting show focused on the WHOLE hunt...from picking the spot, to setting out the dekes, to watching the sunrise, to working / shooting birds, to watching the dog work, to the conversation and comradarie in the blind, to picking up, etc. To me that would be far more exciting than seeing a bunch of birds exploding in mid air. If I wanted to see that I'd start raising pigeons, stuff their butts with firecrackers and go to town...

I got 3 of his videos. I also have few of the Zinks videos. everyone has their own way of filming and what people like to see. I do a Buck Gardner video that I watched once and now it collects dust ( i think i wasted 10 bucks ) cuz I didnt think it was near as good as Foiles and Zinks videos. I dont have any of Foiles calls but i know guys that do and they sound pretty good. I think they are good shooters plus I dont mind seeing a bird getting dusted pretty good once in awhile. Bring it on! Fallin Skies 5 will be added to my collection when it comes out.

i have all the foils videos and im shur im not the only one. they guy, like him or not knows how to make and sell dvds.