• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

smallmouth rules and vista

Made it into Vista all last week. Had a great trip between the rains and the fishing was great. Used jigs tipped with crawlers and hammered the eyes..

One thing I didn't know and don't understand is why is there a catch and release for smallmouth after Sept. 10th? It seems like such an unnecessary rule when in the backcountry on a remote lake with so many smallmouths. We could catch smallies about any time we wanted and if we hadn't been catching eyes they would have have provided a great fish dinner. Does anyone have any insight on why this law is necessary?

It's a rule mainly to protect trophy smallies...they are quite easy to catch this time of year. I think smallies taste great, especially from the north country lakes, but I'm in favor 100% of this rule.