• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rules

BobT

When I first began deer hunting it was understood that until I was 14 years old I had to be accompanied by a guardian while in possession of a firearm. This is still true today as I found this in the handbook.

It was also understood that until I was 16 years old I could not hunt alone. I could sit in a deer stand alone as long as I was hunting with a hunting party and was within contact distance (shouting distance) of a guardian. I cannot find this in the handbook. Is this rule still in force?

How do these rules apply to small game? It appears that the rule about firearm possession applies across the board so it is still unlawful for a minor under age 14 to be in possession of a firearm unless accompanied by a guardian regardless of whether hunting deer or small game.

Bob

Under the age of 14, you must have in possesion a FAS certificate and be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. As I read the regs, after you pass FAS and reach the age of 14, you may hunt big game (except moose and elk) and small game on your own. Although, you may not hunt big game with a handgun.