• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fun fishing

Turk

Trolling is effective, but of all the ways to catch fish, it can be boring. I like others choose the presentation as best to fit what the fish want, but it is a trap to think they always want a trolled lure in the fall better than livebait rigging or jigging. So in other words, this is just a quick tip that lindy rigging with bait is still effective and currently very productive, and yes it will out fish trolling methods on certain days. Also spring time leader lengths (four to five feet) work just fine.

Keep Catchin'

Turk

Turk,

We missed you at the Rat last weekend. I agree with you that livebait rigging is a great way to bag fish in the fall. I am not sure that it is as effective during the transition periods such as we have had over the last few weeks. When the bite is tough, targeted trolling is at the top of the list. I think we were one of about three teams to weigh 5 fish during the rat. I am not sure how the other teams caught their fish but we caught ours on the troll. Yes, all from the secret rock pile! Sunday was much better with 2 limits in 2 hours.

I guess the point is that both are effective and knowing when to use a certain presentation on the river is key. Working the wrong pattern can make for a long day!!

See you on the water!

Ya, I missed the tourney for the first time in eight years, wish I wouldn't have as those are the conditions I prefer in a tournament. Actually that's the first local/open tourny on the Croix that I haven't been in since 1999. But I had to coach my football team.

Yep each day is different, my main point is that some guys think trolling is always the way to go in the fall when other presentations can be far better.

Some day I'll find the secret rock pile!ha. Croixeyes says he doesn't know it either. Good job hookin' those fish.

Take care,

Turk