• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

just got asked to go on a BWCA trip a few weeks back. We are going Oct 2. I dont' know exact location but it will be in the area that you are allowed to use outboards. The guys i am going with are primarly walleye guys so we will spend most of our time chasing them. What i could really use help on is what type of lure will be affective as well as where i can expect the fish to be and in what seasonal movement if any they will be in. Just started packing and i a realized i am clueless. thanks for any help. ike

I am going in also next week for some walleye fishing.

I can't really offer you advise as to what is working right now, but I can tell you what my plans are that have worked well in the past during this time of year in the BW...

For live bait I plan on using minnows, I have found in the fall the larger minnows usually out perform smaller ones.

Last fall I found active fish from 10 feet to 30 feet. I usually keep it simple, a minnow hooked through the lips on a color hook and a bead right above that. A split shot about 2 feet up the line. The whole thing dragged on the bottom when the structure allows.

If I go deeper or want to move a little faster I use a three way rig with a spinner and minnow for flash and movement.

If conditions allow and I find active fish, I usually switch to a slip bobber set up, (easier for my girlfriend to use), or jig and minnow.

Pulling crank baits will work well in the right conditions too.

I guess if I had to choose, my go to presentation would be a lively minnow on a hook slowly pulled across the bottom... love to feel that first tap, tap!!!

Hopefully this will give you a few ideas of what has worked for me.

Good luck!!

If your are going out of Ely you are likely headed to Basswood Lake. Walleyes will be on the reefs and main channel major points. There are maps that have the reefs marked. A 1/4 oz jig and minnow should be about all you need.

Jigs in the 1/8th- 3/8th oz. range and some minnows and power shiners in smelt and shiner colors should do the trick. I have messed with the Gulp Alive Minnows and they have impressed me enough that I think I will carry these along on most trips. Especially when its cold and I dont want to dig in the minnow bucket. wink.gif

hey thanks bunches for all your help keep it coming

The guys i am goning with say they do a lot of trolling. What rodand reel (baitcast/spinning rod length and action/power) and line (mono,braid,flouro) combo would you say would be ideal for this. you have been a great help thanks. ike

If your ytrolling sticks/cranks I would go with a baitcaster/linecounter if ya have one. If your just trolling spinner and lindy rigs use a spinning set up.

Baitcaster rig I would go with a 7' med power with a mod/fast action.

Spinning set up go at least 6'6" with a med-med/lt with a fast action. Good all around rod.

For fishing out of a canoe, I would say go with a 6' Med-Fast action rod and a spinning reel. I like shorter rods in a canoe, personally, I think it is easier to get retied in cramped quarters with a shorter rod. Also, the longer the rod, the more chances it will get caught on a branch or something portaging through the bush and snap. It never hurts to have a spare rod up there either, so bring something else to experiment with. Maybe an ultra light or light action if you want to look for panfish or a levelwind setup if you are after pike or trolling cranks for walleyes.

Depending on what you are fishing with, match your line with what size lures you will be using. If you are using small jigs with minnows, use lighter line-like 6 l.b. test. Mono would be just fine to use. Maybe bring an extra spool if you have one for your reel and outfit it with heavier or lighter line depending on what you like.

Hope this helps,

Justin

Sounded to me like you were going to be in motorized boats and trolling a bit? If not do like Justin says or pack your rods in PVC tubing and put your reel in a sleeping bag or some sort of hard sided reel case or whatever ya have that will fit the reel(s). Justins right shorter rods are easier in a canoe.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.