• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Water logged puppy..help please

Kallista

I got Hunter on the 15th, he weighed almost 6 1/2 pounds, 8 days into this he weighs 16 1/2 pounds.. hes growing fast.

He was on Noble and over 7 days i slowly took him off that and put him on Eagle Pack, and i always had water down for him 24/7 till a few days ago, now if the water bowl is full he will sit there and drink it, no matter how he feels till its gone.. Then he throws up the water and he gets the runs.

I hate to do it but now i have to give him water every hour or so like a 1/2 cup.. Has this happened to anyone else, am i doing something wrong?

If you have not already....I would contact you vet to see what they have to say. May be an underlying condition causing his this.

Don't let him eat a lot of food and then let him drink large amounts of water. Excessive amounts of water are not good. Unless he has been working up a major thirst by exercise or by heat, he should never need to have that much water. It doesn't happen that often but he could get gastric contorsion.

Feed him and get him used to drinking smaller amounts of water. My labs do this to and have corrected it by a command, basicly when I know they are drinking excessivly I tell him "enough" and he will quit.

He is young there will be many lessons to be learned for your pup.... laugh.gif

I would check the scale too because doubling his weight in a week is hard to believe.

Yes i have like i said in my post, i been giving him 1/2 cup of water every hour.. Will he get over this as he grows?.. All my huskies all 63 of them i had for dog sledding, always had water down and never drank like this.. I understand each breed is different, but might this be cause his mom pass away after the c-section and the 11 pups were raised by Dustin from this forum and his wife?..But i am concern cause he trys to drink from puddles or lick off the shower curtain anything for water.. the vet said the same just take away the water..and he checked out fine with her. It is hard to see him thirsty like this.. Also now hes been scratching alot and whining alot while doing so, the vet said he has no skin problems or fleas.. and we both don't understand why hes scratching so badly

I have a pup from the same litter and do not have any problems like this. I have water available for him at all times and he only drinks what he needs. Each pup is different though...

This is a new one on me. If he checked out OK with the vet, my guess is that it is a mental issue. I agree with the compulsive behavior suggestion. I think you are on the track in limiting his water until he matures beyond this behavior. Maybe this is no different than teaching him not to bark, go potty in the house, or chew the furniture?

Hes going back to the vet today at 2... so we will see whats up once again.. But today the scratching has slowed down 80 %, so i think it was the puppy shampoo i used that got him itching

The water thing has passed now.. i just limit his water, and everything is ok.. I been doing alot of looking online and this seems to be normal things for labs, to want to just keep drinking like others have said in this tread.. He just needs to learn like any other pup...

Quote:

I have a pup from the same litter and do not have any problems like this. I have water available for him at all times and he only drinks what he needs. Each pup is different though...

This isn't a liter problem, each and every dog is different. and many labs will drink till they drink it all down as many have said here in this thread... The scratching with no fleas, is something we are working on, they do have water fleas up here in the north that bite your dog in many lakes here.. But i think it was the puppy shampoo i used that did this to him.. Could even be the cedar in his bed as well.. Taking one step at a time.

Glad you got one of Dustins pups.. great puppies for sure.. Kept him on noble?

Quote:

i think it was the puppy shampoo i used that got him itching

FYI....I wouldn't over do it on how often you shampoo him. Once in a while when require is fine IMO, but I (personally) would not be shampooing him 3-4 times a month. It can dry out and remove the old from their skin/coat.

My dogs 2.5 years old and has been shampooed once...and he's an indoor dog! It was because of itch relief I did it.

Quote:

Quote:

i think it was the puppy shampoo i used that got him itching

FYI....I wouldn't over do it on how often you shampoo him. Once in a while when require is fine IMO, but I (personally) would not be shampooing him 3-4 times a month. It can dry out and remove the old from their skin/coat.

My dogs 2.5 years old and has been shampooed once...and he's an indoor dog! It was because of itch relief I did it.

I have only shampooed him once sine i got him..The onlt reason i did was because he got pretty dirty from our outting, i let him be a pup and he was digging and having a good time under my eyes. I bought Hertz.. I know enough not to bath a pup to many times it takes away their natural oils..

Vet said everything looks great.. so it must have been the shampoo, the scratching is finally slowing and hes a happy pup again.. Some dogs skin is more sensitive then others thats all.. good to know these things now as well..But yes only when your dog needs it i agree. thanks for the info

Kind if figured that as sounds like you have been around dogs for a while...

Good to hear about the pup...glad he is doing better!

What are you going to do when you take him out to a duck slough or lake and he starts drinking water?

Water is important for any animal, I don't know of any that don't do their best when they have free choice, clean water available at all times. Water is especially important to dogs when you're working them in the hot early season pheasant hunting. 'Assuming' that hes going to outgrow the problem is crazy.

I'd solve the problem by setting out two five gallon buckets of water and let him have at it, hes not going to drink himself to death. Of course don't feed him first!!! He'll get over that water fettish.

Well.. in my view and thats why we live in a free world, cause we all can say our point of view and no one is wrong.. What makes sense to one person doesn't to another, whats right for one dog might not be right for another.. Just like the thread about force fetching, everyone has a point or lived out an experience that worked for them.. and not for others, I am happy i live in American where i can say what i feel and not get shot..There is always something to learn with/from our dogs.

As to Hunter, after only giving him water every hour, he is slowly learning now , i put down a full bowl and he drinks, i say .. ok thats enough and he stops and walks away.. He doesn't drink it all down like he did days ago, so in my own view he acts just like any other lab in this puppy stage and just needs to be taught.. like any other pup.. and hes doing great, and hes learning not to drink the whole bowl. I think i have done the right thing. As does my vet, and i am sure many others out here as well..I may not be perfect but i have common sense..

thanks for the info