• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

choke chains

R. Miller

Just trying to decide when the best time to use the choke chain for training heel with my new 10 week old setter. Right now he's just trying to get used to a leash on walks. I know it's not a rush right now, just wondering what some people think is a appropriate age for choke chain training.

Usually you want to get the dog exposed to a lead first. Put the dog on a tie out out so they learn that when they are chained up, pulling will be useless. LC supply online has a great stake-out that has a swivel and a short chain so the dog won't get tangled. Once the dog accepts the chain/rope and doesn't yelp or fight it, your good to go with the choke chain.

I'd skip the choke collar and go to a pinch collar - IMHO it does a way better job of making the point (no pun intended) and my dog responds way better to the pinch collar than a choke collar - with the choke collar he'd continue to pull, with a pinch collar heeling went pretty quick as he got the message quicker.

marine_man

Rather than a choke chain, you might try a pinch collar.

And don't be too quick to use either.

There are do's and don'ts to consider with either.

Depending on the age of your dog, you might check around for a puppy class.

Some pet stores offer them and can be a wealth of knowledge on things like this.

did you guys know that there is a right and a wrong way to put on a choke chain? If it's put on upside-down it won't release tension when given slack (positive reinforcement when the dog doesn't pull). When they are put on incorectly the dog doesn't learn as quickly because the chain won't loosen up.

Ten weeks is a bit young. Dont rush it with your dog. Plenty of time to train. take it easy. far to young for a prong collar. get her used to a lead first then its time for step up

Thanks for the info guys. I know there's a right and wrong way to put on a collar...I've heard Dokken talk about it the last three years at game fair. Actually, my pup has walked perfectly right beside me in the last week...don't evne think I need to worry about a chock chain yet...think I'll wait a little. It's a lot o fun training a new pup(I have two 13 year old britts and forgot what it's like). Anyway, it's a lot of work, but I can't wait til I drop the first grouse, woddcock or pheasant over him. Should be interesting. Seems like a great pup so far!

Start using the choke chain when you think the pup is ready. I found that with my pup the choke chain worked great as a collar correcting tool. I think it helped him relate to the indirect pressure corrections I have used with the shock collar. All dogs are different tho.

LovenLifeGuy

I would not use the pincher. I have only used that on dogs that don't quite "get it."

Also -- I think 10 weeks is a great time to SLOWLY introduce. The pup will get the idea that is the time to work and play. It will not be a negative and will enjoy putting on the collar.

Just some thoughts.

hit.

i usually train my dog(s) with the lead only. I just simply give the command to heel and then use the lead to work them into the correct position as we walk i then repeat "heel". While the dog is learning and getting a grasp on the idea i introduce the "stick" or wooden dowel. I put the dog in heel and began walking, as soon as the dog moves out of the correct postion a use the stick to tap him/her back into position. if the dog starts to walk ahead i give a light tap on the shins, if the dog slows up i tap on the rump, if drifting away from me from the the side i tap on the dogs side back towards the direction it needs to be in, and if the dog is constantly bumping into me i just bump it back over with the side of my ankle or knee.

works well for me. It took 2 or 3 lessons with the stick after having a decent gasp down using the lead.

My problem with the pinch collar and choke chain is that it didnt even stun my shorthair. He would get so wired up he would literally choke himself to death.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.