• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How much trans fluid?

Cooter

Question

Hey all, I dropped the pan and did new filter on the tranny of my 93 Sierra. I'm probably gonna get the numbers/letters in the wrong order but the tranny is the L604E. Anyways I put 4.5 quarts of fluid in - this was after the tranny had drained for 3 days and I'm reading high on the dipstick. Manual doesn't say how much fluid she takes but I've checked around and am pretty sure that with four and a half quarts I should be in the ball park...at least not reading as high as I am. Comments? Yes I've driven it and got it plenty warm and checked. They pretty touchy or what?

13 answers to this question

4L60E

I usually start with 4 and adjust from there. Mitchell seems to think you can squeeze five quarts in there? When it reads correct on the dipstick for the temp its at then thats what I would go with.

Good to get another vote for the 4 quarts or so amount. I'm mechanically challenged so I'll check again next time I fire her up. Thanks.

Just a thought Cooter, next time, if you want to give your tranny some lovin, get a flush. By just dropping the pan you are missing about 12 more quarts of dirty fluid still in the trans. Just a thought that's all.

I hear ya, have 140K on her and thought the filter out to be replaced...the flush is coming yet!

Quote:

Just a thought Cooter, next time, if you want to give your tranny some lovin, get a flush. By just dropping the pan you are missing about 12 more quarts of dirty fluid still in the trans. Just a thought that's all.

Its a good thought, but of course an expensive one. What I've done in Cooter's spot in the past is drain the fluid into a container you can measure the amount in. Then you can just add that amount of fresh fluid and not have to worry about overfilling. Overfilling will kill a tranny quick!

I dunno about the flushes...

I've heard horror stories of trannys going out not long after flushes. Can't confirm any of it so maybe it's just another of those urban legends.

Here's my take on the flushes. I aint real crazy about the additive/cleaners they sell. I just like the idea of all the fluid being changed. Not just what's in the pan. Just my opinion.

Note: I am providing answers as links because they can provide far more info and accurate info than I can key in here.

Link to AMSOIL's Application Guide which includes a listing of transmission fill quantities with both the pan service quantity and the total fill (overhaul) quantity. Enter your year, then select your make, then your model, then your engine. You will have to scan down the listing 2/3 the way to find the transmission quantities. Note: it includes a procedure about running before measuring.

http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo=52257&page=appguide

Secondly, I sincerely recommend changing all the fluid, but do not use a flushing chemical. Also, many of the transmission "transfusion" jobs that shops sell is a poor solution. This link page has a link to the TSB (in pdf format, easily printable) from AMSOIL about how to change all the fluid:

http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo=52257&page=storefront/atf

I had a flush and within days I lost 3 gear in my tranny. The shop I took it said never, ever get a flush, all it does in his opinion was pull all the gunk into the filter and that is where you ruin the tranny. He said way better off to just drop the pan, change the filter and refill. Truth is it makes sense to me about plugging the filter.

Too many of the shops which use a machine don't remove the pan and change the filter. This is a big reason not to use that method. They claim their solvent cleans everything, but the truth is there is no way to clean the filter short of removing it and replacing it.

Why not flush, minus the chemicals, then drop the pan, change the filter and replace the fluid.

But, the flip side of the coin is what does the manufacture recommend? Sometimes the vehicles are equipped with 100k fliuds. (under ideal driving conditions which Mn. aint) No way do I think that a flush is the ONLY answer to trans maintence just suggestions that's all. Definatley not every 30k that's for sure. Unless your pullin heavy loads all the time.

Quote:

I had a flush and within days I lost 3 gear in my tranny. The shop I took it said never, ever get a flush, all it does in his opinion was pull all the gunk into the filter and that is where you ruin the tranny. He said way better off to just drop the pan, change the filter and refill. Truth is it makes sense to me about plugging the filter.

This is why you flush the tranny first, then you replace the filter when you are done flushing! The problem I have seen with flushing the trans is, when people bring it in because its starting to slip, then they have it flushed, it cleans the slipping clutches, and it slips worse. Then they complain that we made it worse. If it is slipping a flush wont repair it, it just cleans it and puts new oil that disperses heat better!

They really should tell you that!! Especially after you just dropped a good chunk of $$$ on the flush, that would go over really well.

I did mine mainly cuz it was due according to the maintenance scheduling.