• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lawsuit against scent locked clothing?

Dahitman44

I was half sleeping during the news last night but Ithink I heard them say that a group of hunters is suing some of the manufacturers of that type of clothing. They say it does not work and is just a way to make us spend more for clothing?

Anyone else hear about this?

I saw an article in regards to this and if memory serves me well, it's 4 people from Minnesota that have started this. They believe that the carbon suits dont do what the makers states.

I heard it as well this morning as I was driving into work. It sounds to me like these guys are looking to try and put a few extra bucks into their pockets by filing a lawsuit. I have a feeling the only thing they will be doing is spending their own money on lawyer fees that will not amount to anything. This is one of the lamest lawsuits that I have ever heard. They are probably the ones you see sitting in the bar with their camo on smoking stogies each night after hunting and then enter the woods the next morning smelling of beer and stale smoke. I don't think they stand a chance on getting anything out of this one.

CA

I didn't hear about it but I would agree. I have it and if a deer is down wind I will get busted most of the time. I think that it might help somewhat but total scent control, I think not.

Hunt the wind and hunt high but remember always use a safety harness.

Yes. I think its ridiculous. Posted about it yesterday but for some reason was moved to the offseason section? Does this have nothing to do with deer hunting?

I dont own the suits. If they dont work I hope the people do sue them. Is it ok to charge money for products that dont do what they are supposed to, I dont think so.

If one doesnt like the suit after they purchase it then they do have the option of returning the product also.

this will be interesting to know the outcome, like mentioned above, these are probably guys who dont take care of their clothes, wearing them everywhere they go. I have never bought scentlok before because of the $$, but if they charge hundreds for a suit, i'd expect that it works; the company wouldn't be as successful today if it did not work.

Your right! If the suits dont work, the least that these guys have is an Implied Warrantee of Merchantability on the company. This means that the product is bought for a specific purpose and that the merchant is in full understanding (Which they always are) of that purpose. If the product does not do what it was meant/created to do, then they have full entitlement to return the product even if the stores policy says against so. Policy can never be deterrent of the law.

Ya, the old class action lawsuit. Some attorney's make a pile of money and the people that are getting ripped off get nothing. Probably a coupon for $5.00 off your next purchase of Scent Lock Clothing.

someone posted a great piece on scent lok clothing, and how carbon actually works. Has something to do with heating the carbon to a certain temperature. If anyone can find the thread, you should copy it to this one. Sorry Im at work and dont have time.

I did an experiment with my scent lock clothing. I lit a cigarette and blow the smoke through the material. A strange test but it did reduce the smoke smell. Blew it through a sweatshirt and it still smelled quite a bit.

Not a scientific test to say the least, but I would say the carbon, or just the material greatly reduced the smell.

How much will that help when hunting? I always say every little bit helps.

The ads a more than a little misleading, but so are all ads. I am sure many people will be watching this very closely.

BTW -- after I had the cig going my hand smelled like smoke so I sprayed carbon spray on it and I could not swell it anymore. Maybe just a good spray works as well as a $300 suit?

I know deer noses are much more keen than ours but ...?

From what i have read and learned while using scent lock, when you put the suit in the dryer it releases what it has absorbed. But everytime you do this the amount of scent it can absorb the next time is less and less each time until, the capacity is so small the suit is worthless other than camo.

THere must be something to the carbon filter system since my fry daddy usese a carbon filter to help with the smell, and it works.

One last thought, When i started bow hunting i didnt really pay attention to my scent and what i was wearing, I was snorted at many times.

Since i got my scent lock coverall, and pay attention to scent control with clothes wash and soap i have had many deer down wind not know i was even there.

The suit is a part of the system that i have come to believe works, if these guys are smoking a cigarette or just leaving the thing sit out int their vehicle and throwing it on thinking it will cover all the scent they have made it is kind of asking alot.

just my 2 cents

Not saying this is the most scientific way of doing things but I bought a pants and jacket combe last year. I took it home and put a piece of jerky in on of the pants legs. I taped both legs together and the waist. Then I let out the dog. It took him a whole five minutes once he got the scent to start pawing and pulling at the pants trying to get the jerky. Took the suit back the next day. I know this doesn't really prove anything but common sense tell me if the dog could smell the jerky the deer can smell me. I hope the company gets what's coming to them.

this sounds like a lame test, did you wash your hands befor you touched the outside of the pant legs? or did you just transfer the scent onto the outside material. I just returned from a trip in far NW ND. We had an incredible trip in getting extremley close to muleys and white tails, even had a pronghorn within 8 yrds of one guy, all thanks to scent sheild and a good shower befor each hunt to help eliminate any scents on the body. This sounds like that channel 9 segment with the lady trying to outwit a dog with the scent lock clothing, only problem was she was still wearing makeup at the time, go figure that they always found her. just my 2 cents, I belive!!!

I've read many articles on carbon clothing over the years (to justify the cost of buying a suit) and my conclusion is this... (right or wrong, it's what I've concluded).

The activated carbon in the clothing works great! One time! From every scientific data I could find, it shows to reactivate the carbon, it takes a minimum of 800 degrees farenheit for 20 minutes. Most dryers reach 150 degrees. Most tests show that the carbon suits have reached it's full holding capacity in 4-5 hours of wearing them. They also point out that they are adsorbing all the scent in the stores for the umpteen months they sit on the shelf... They should be vacuum packed to at least give you their full potential the 1st time you wear them.

Scent-Lok is obviously advertising a 180 degree difference to these findings and that is what the lawsuit is based on. Not if they work or not, but are they using fraudulent advertising practices to get consumers to purchase the suits. If the carbon cannot be re-activated, then they have a whole can of legal worms to deal with. Also some of these issues came up in a patent application recently and if I remember correctly they were denied the latest patent.

I have chosen the "silver" route in my clothing. Rocky clothing produces it. Silver is, and has been proven to destroy bacteria. What you and the deer are actually smelling is not your sweat, but the odor the bacteria living on your skin and perspiration is producing. The silver thread woven in the fabric will kill the bacteria, thus the associated odors that accompany them. Is it 100%? Nope, but that and a good odorless soap and anti-perspirant and toothpaste and spray everything down with scent shield and play the wind will be as close as we can get.

Remember confidence is a big thing too... if you are happy with scent-lok, continue wearing it. I bet most guys (me included) wouldn't need any special suit as most of us are aware of what's needed to beat the nose of a deer nowadays and we'd do just as well with our cleaning regimen and using the wind with old time camo. I remember back in the late 70's and early 80's getting away with nothing more than the wind and keeping clean and keeping my clothes in a bag with oak leaves and juniper clippings. The 1st (2) bucks I shot with my bow were under 10 yards and had no idea I was there.

A good idea for those wanting to wear a carbon suit that you can throw away after a couple wearings, is to go to a surplus store and buy a chemical suit. There is more carbon in those suits and you can get them for 10-15 dollars and throw them away after a couple wearings.

Again, I'm not claiming what I've written or read is carved in stone, but it is a counterpoint to the company's claims.

Good Luck!

Ken

I bought a scentlok jacket, gloves, and headcover only because it was on clearance and as cheap or cheaper than the regular camo I would have bought anyways. There are some scentblocker items I would really like to have just because of the design or features. I just haven't found it cheap enough. If it happens to really work, good but I dont count on it. I work in a chemical lab as a tech and have discussed this issue with the scientist I work under. His opinion is that the temp rquired to regenerate would burn up the clothing. I am a not a scientist so I dont know. Last year I bought one of the military chem suits. it is a NATO pattern. I dont know what the technology is, if it is carbon or charcoal or ???? At least the militray suit came in a airtight vacuume packed bag and had never been opened. I used the military pants for the first time on bow opener this year. I found out one thing that I had never considered before.....I put the pants on in the dark. When I got out of the blind and back to the truck to remove them, the tan hiking pants I wore underneath were black. The pockets are also lined so I am now careful with what I put in the pockets. When I reach into the pockets, there is black residue on my hands when I pull them out.

Well I figure it won't totally kill my scent but if a big buck thinks I'm 80 yards away instead of 10 I'll keep using it.

Well here's my 2 cents...

I beleive it works if you do the extra work of the following...Put all your clothes on in the field that are concealed in a scent lok bag, then I put the scent lok on after that which means getting down to your skinnies in the field....Then I spray all of my scent lok clothes with scent killer including bow, arrows, rubber boots, gloves, pants, jacket, hat, face mask...

I can say that in the 3 years of bow hunting with Scent lok that I have been much more succesful in having more deer come in down wind and go undetected...I will say that most of the time they get within 30 yards or under down wind they know something is differnt and take some time to figure it out but they don't figure it out and go back to eating our what ever it is that there doing...

I have been busted 1 for sure time when I didnt follow my routine of going the extra mile of trying to reduce/or minimize my scent by going the extra mile getting dressed in the field ect...

I was in SD bow hunting 3 days last weekend had 2 differnt bucks within 25 yards down wind I was succesful in being undetected...I had a bunch of does & fawns under and around my stand the very next night they new somethin was differnt but continued to do there thing after they setteled down a little bit, however if I hadn't taken all the steps that I do I would have seen white flages running away.

Last night in the stand a mature doe and her 2 fawns were within 7 yard am on the ground walking out to my stand and they were moving early down wind and again went undetected..

However I had a good encounter with a nice 8 pointer last night but not a shooter...He came in got to 15 yards down wind and never moved for 25 minutes he new something was not quite right but he proceeded on and never flagged me.

Now I have had alot of encounters similar to this where they come in and get cautious but typically after a couple minutes they settle down...

Am very confident in the product that it helps dramatically in comparison to the way I use to do it...

Funny thing is, I do most of the same protocol without Scent-Lok and have had deer downwind of me too. I agree they know something is amiss, but after unsuccessfully determing what it is, go back to whatever it is they were doing.

It's the whole concept of keeping everything as scent free as possible, (your body, your clothing and your gear) that works.

It'll be interesting to see what becomes of this.

Good Luck!

Ken

some people forget about things like their releases. I'm sure we have all broke a sweat this summer shooting the bows. well, did we all remember to spray the release, or even the bow, as they too take on scent. things like spider, or other yarn-like string dampeners. oh yeah, they absorb the ciggy smoke while practicing

I watched a thing on 20/20 or some other show like that about people suing scent-lok because they had a police dog that would find a guy wearing it in a box placed in a field with like 10 other boxes with nothing in them.--but you think about it, it's impossible to elminate all human odor. Scent lok helps by absorbing some of that odor. Yes, there's still a chance you'll get "busted", but if it tips the odds in your favor at all, why not use it? - on that same show they addressed the issue of "reactivation" of the carbon. They said while you would need to heat the carbon to +1200 degrees to completly reactive it, the heat from a household dryer "re-energizes" the carbon in the suits. They explained it as pretty much the same thing as doing laundry. It gets a majority of the crud out of the carbon, but over time, like everything you need to replace the suit. They claimed for the average hunter the effectiveness of the carbon is used up in about five seasons time..

if i can find a link to the show/article i'll post it here.