• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mechanical heads on shoot through screens

HuntFishDude

I'm looking to pick up my first ground blind and I was wondering if there is any problem with shooting mechanical heads through the screens on these houses? I shoot 100gr. rockets. Any recommendations on the blind itself?

I own Double Bull blinds and don't believe that there is another one mfg. thats makes one as good. There are some knock offs but they just dont work as good or last as long as I have tried numerous kinds. If you were interested in a double Bull, I would call the company as they might have a few seconds around that would work out fine. When it comes to putting the blind up or taking it down, it always is a pretty quick and easy job. I know that they don't come cheap but, they are well worth the extra money in my mind. Double Bull blinds are pretty much what all the guides I work with use.

As far as shooting through the netting on the windows goes, I have guided handicapped hunters in wheelchairs for 10 years and they have all used mechinacal broadheads and they seem to work just fine as they have had very good luck.

I would echo exactly what HL said about double bull blinds. Plus the two DVD's I got with my blind really gets your blood pumping in the offseason!!!

The guys at Double Bull told me flat out, Do not shoot expandable/mechanical broadheads through the screen.

I picked up my blind there, and thats words right from their mouth.

This was 3 years ago, so maybe their ideas have changed with the advancement of mechanicals, but honestly, I wont shoot through the mesh.

Too much risk if you ask me, for something to go wrong.

Especially if the mechanical head doesnt have razor edges exposed to cut cleanly on impact with the mesh.

Quote:

The guys at Double Bull told me flat out, Do not shoot expandable/mechanical broadheads through the screen.

I picked up my blind there, and thats words right from their mouth.

This was 3 years ago, so maybe their ideas have changed with the advancement of mechanicals, but honestly, I wont shoot through the mesh.

Too much risk if you ask me, for something to go wrong.

Especially if the mechanical head doesnt have razor edges exposed to cut cleanly on impact with the mesh.

More recently I asked the same question of the guys at Double Bull, they told me to use two rubber bands on the blades and you wont have a problem.

I think a better option is the newer heads that open from the back.

BLB:

At that time, there weren't as many compatible mechanicals on the market, so I think their stance has changed a little.

I spoke with Keith and Tom Carrol of Double Bull Archery about this on the phone a few weeks ago, and their stance was that the obvious litmus test is to practice shooting a few through the screen, out of the blind. Beyond that, the heads with "L-shaped" blade-ends (used to provide better expansion) will catch on the fabric and deploy prematurely. Typically, the heads that have pointed blade-ends will perform quite well. While I didn't ask specifically about the new Rage or Piston Point heads, probably the best advice is to find a buddy with a Double Bull and shoot some practice shots through his screen. smile.gif All jokes aside, don't feel bad about taking a few practice shots through that screen, there's something like 240 inches of it surrounding the blind, and you'd have to take hundreds and hundreds of shots through it to affect it.

For all of those interested in rangefinding through the screen, Nikon is about the only way to go. Bushnell and Leica rangefinders didn't work well at all through the screen, and Leopold performed inconsistently. I specifically asked him about the 440 Prostaff unit (as it' the lowest grade/quality one they make) and even it performed quite well.

Joel

I guess I never used one so I owuldnt know but There must be a zipper or flaps to lower the screen and shoot out a window?? The ground blinds I have used where of this style and We used to place them on anticipated deer travel and have 2 screens open and the back 2 shut...

My blinds dont have the option to open them up to shoot. I personlly would be concerned to leave them open while hunting in the blind with my netting open due to the fact that it is easier for the deer to see into the blind if they look and catch any movements I make.

I have a couple blinds that I have cut 4"-6" verticle strips from the netting. Just a couple well placed ones are all you need.

I use NAP Spitfire XP Pros which are mechanical broadheads with a cut-on-contact tip and no rubber band. I have shot two deer throgh the mesh screen without any problems. I did practice at home to make sure the broadheads did't expand when hitting the mesh.

Wow, Thnaks for all the tips guys... I did decide on a Double Bull...I was kinda hoping you guys would say it wasn't worth it grin.gif I will try shooting some mechanicals here at home to see if it works but I think I will be leery and probably keep the shooting ports open with no netting...would hate to miss becuase of the netting!

You will NOT be sorry.

Service is great there too. I busted a pole in mine last year, and they just handed me one. No questions asked.

Agreed with the service. I needed a new piece for the end of one pole after quite a bit of use and it was sent out no charge. They stand behind the product they sell.

HuntFishDude:

Keep the nets down for whitetails! They simply will not tolerate the "black hole" openings, especially for archery. Turkeys don't mind them, but you need that net down for whitetails. I would shoot a different broadhead before leaving the nets up.

Also, when placing your blind, use the 50/100 rule. If a deer's first glance at the blind will be w/in 50 yards, make sure it is very well brushed-in. Completely cover it, as best you can, taking special care to break up the horizontal line formed by the roof. If a deer's first look at the blind will be 100 yards or beyond, don't worry about brushing it in. In the 50-100 yard range, say in an open bottoms or wooded floodplain, back the blind up against the largest tree you can find and that should suffice.

A small ratchet cutter is a necessity I've found when brushing in the blind for deer. Put various types of brush between the tie-cords and rest a whole pile of stuff on the top of the blind (not enough to collapse it).

Give the guys at Double Bull a call if you have any questions, tell 'em the guys at FishingMinnesota put you up to it. Unlike many of us who also hunt from a tree, these guys put in all of their hours in a ground blind, and have been perfecting the deal for the past 10+ years. They're good to talk to, and will offer some great advice!

Joel

I agree 100% Joel. I will always brush my blind in and the window netting is always in place. The only time I dont brush the blind in is when I have placed it in the woods a month before I hunt out of it as the deer have lots of time to adjust to it.

I have tried to hunt out of the blind the same day I set it up without brushing it in and it without a doubt works better with it being brushed in for the same day hunting.

Have to disagree with Jnelson on the black hole,I honestly have had 4 shot opportunities the last two tmes I have been out with the net up. Granted, my blind was well brushed in, but they did not seem to mind the black triangle. Not just does and fawns either, I ended up taking a 125" nine point out of it. BTW...the net was up because I was shooting Jak Hammers and was concerned about this problem.

I have sewn in camo netting in my holes so its not totally open ever. One might get away with the hole being open sometimes but I do believe that more times than not one will get burned with it open. Brushing it in heavy will really help but it doesnt hurt to have it closed to some degree.

I'm glad you got the buck but the next few times it could turn on you. I would hate to see this happen for you.

The one wildcard with the black hole situation, and even this isn't a guarantee, is when leaving your blind setup for an extended period of time. Even then, you must keep the windows that you'll be shooting out of open when it's setup.

Also, it sounds like you're using a different blind with a smaller triangle opening vs. the Matrix's blind-wide opening. Perhaps they're less sensitive to it when the opening is smaller?

This comes from extensive testing over multiple seasons, deer hunting and observing deer while turkey hunting. Sooner or later, it's going to get you.

Joel