• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Advice for a new resident in Anoka County.

ascotinmpls

Hey guys,

Moved to Anoka County from the UK and looking for advice on good spots to do some shore fishing.

I've done a little research, and the same places seem to keep popping up. I'm going to get myself a list together, and try and get to a few places before the season is over - i guess do some prep before next Spring.

So far, i've been told of Cenaiko Lake, the Mississippi (CR Dam area), Round Lake and Centerville.

I actually took a drive out to Centerville yesterday but with all the construction, couldn't figure out how to get to the actual lake. (is their a fishing pier?)

I took a stop at the CR Dam, walked down to the bridge (HWY 610??) and had a couple of bites. I pulled out a 2.5lb Smallmouth within about 15 mins of being there, but that was the only action i had and i was there for a good 3 hours.

If anybody has any exact locations they would care to share that would be awesome....any setup advice would be cool too. I'd really like to keep it local to Anoka County for the time being.

As i'm from Scotland, i'm used to good fishing, especially for Trout, Pike, Bass and Salmon (i'll miss those)....looking forward to giving these Walleye a shot!

Thx,

Gavin

Well Gavin,

Welcome to the site. This is the best fishing related site on the web in my opinion. I live in Anoka county as well and haven't done a lot of shore fishing in the last few years as I go out in the boat all the time.

All the places you mentioned in your post are good for shore fishing, and if you have waders, that makes it even more fun. I used to fish the CR Dam all the time as it was close to where I grew up. The whole area along there is great for fishing, a lot of people fish carp down there along with smallies, cats, northern pike, and even some pannies. I have caught many big pike (for metro area) in the stretch from the Dam down to the 610 bridge. There is also a park where the rum river runs into the miss over in Anoka. That is another place that is pretty good for shore fishing.

About half way through my childhood, we moved over to the Lino Lakes area and I lived withing Biking distance to the Centerville/Peltier area and rode down there frequently as a kid. A lot of bullheads in the area and have pulled some dandy pike and largemouth out of the area. A good number of people also fish pannies and carp in this area as well.

As far as lures that catch just about anything that swims in the river, I have had good luck on mepps inline spinners, from small to big.

I am sure I am just tipping the iceberg here but there are many other guys on the forum that spend most of their time on the shorelines and will have some great info. It sounds like you know a pretty good deal about fishing and will pick up everything here and put it to good use.

Have fun and keep the line tight.

Tom

By the way, I envy the man who claims he is used to the good fishing in Scotland as I have read some stories of some amazing water over there.

Quote:

I'm going to get myself a list together, and try and get to a few places before the season is over - i guess do some prep before next Spring.

Come on, you aren't going to try ice fishing this winter? wink.giftongue.gifsmile.gif

There are a few places with fishing piers nearby, if that's what you're looking for. Peltier is right next to Centerville and has a fishing pier. I'm not sure that Centerville has one though actually. Moore Lake, Ham Lake and Long Lake all have fishing piers. I like the CR Dam personally, because there is a bit more space to spread out. tongue.gif

You might try the Rum River too. There are at least 4 parks on the river in Anoka county and there are other areas you can fish from too.

I'm not too sure where in Anoka county you are, but I was always partial to the Linwood/Island/Martin lake chain.

Thanks guys. I may try the CR Dam area again this weekend and see how it goes. If anybody else is going out and wants to show me some of their known spots, let me know!!

I'm on the Anoka/CR border, by Mercy Hospital....

Tom - there are some incredible spots in Scotland, particularly in the Highlands, and the Speyside area. Most folk fish for Salmon, but Trout, and Pike is popular too.

I actually grew up fishing from piers on small coastal towns into the Atlantic. The most common catch for me, was Cod, but Atlantic Salmon and Bass and Haddock were common too.

ascotinmpls, I live across the creek from you, my e m a i l is in my bio, send me your phone I'll give you a call when I get out, the dam will be drawn down around the 3rd week in Oct and I'm gonna pull the boat off the water end of next week.

I sometimes hate to admit it, but other than a college stint in Stearns county, I'm an Anoka county lifer of 40 some years, avid angler for about half of those. If you're going to do any fall shore fishing, I'd suggest at least a pair of hip waders which will only run you about $30 but will give you access to a lot more surface area, primarily inside weedlines. Lake George, further out Round Lake Blvd towards St. Francis, has nearly it's entire northern shoreline encompassed by county park. Take a walk between the reed edges away from shore and cast to the inside weedline and work between the beach and the landing. You'll find bass, panfish, and pike all mixed in. At least once every summer I see a nice size pike mixed with the hammer handles. 2-3 inch chartruese grubs on gold tube jigs work well, as do yellow colored lures. If you must try the Mighty Miss river, venture up between Anoka and Elk River on Hwy 10 and stop in at the wayside rest park by the weigh station and drive down into the park's loop. If you're toting the aforementioned waders, you can wade a long ways out and downstream from the park, just tread slowly because there are a lot of boulders! We've pulled smallies, walleyes, pike, muskies and channel cats from that stretch, along with carp if you prefer hook and corn fishing; and wading to the visible downstream island isn't out of the realm of possibility when the water is low. One go-to lure is a Dan Gapen Ugly Bug in brown, orange or black. You'll find them just up the highway at Elk River town's edge bait shop called Ebners. --Good Luck!-- -E-

hey! I was down at CR dam this evening....fishing from the pier. there were a lot of people out but i didnt manage anyhthing. Stayed for about 2 hours before the rains came. good luck out there!

Quote:

hey! I was down at CR dam this evening....fishing from the pier. there were a lot of people out but i didnt manage anyhthing. Stayed for about 2 hours before the rains came. good luck out there!

There is a pier at the Dam? On the river, or do you mean the one on Cenaiko?

Now I haven't fished there in like 5 years or so but yes there is a fishing pier am asuming you are on the other side of it just walk across the dam and you will see it on your left side it's more like a plat form, I used to take crippie minnows or fat heads with a bare hook and a weight about 2 feet up from the hook with a minnow cast in the current let the line go in the curent keep your line tight let it flow down a little ways and just kind of jig it off the bottom if you get nothing cast right back in to the current we use to catch all kinds of walleyes there but that was befroe all that constuction they did over there I hope this helps you let me know if you try it and it works PS Make sure you got good feeling in you rod :o) they bite lite you will feel just a TAP TAP and make sure to keep your line tight

Ascot: If you are looking for big Pike (and who is not???) try Lake Peltier in Centerville. It is right next to Centerville Lake. Take Highway 242 East across Highway 65, Across Highway 8 and finally across 35W. Keep heading East about 2 km. and you will cross Rice Creek. Rice Creek flows into a chain of lakes all the way to Fridley where it flows into the Mississippi River.

Anyway, the entrance to Peltier is the first exit on your left as you go over the Creek. Otherwise you can keep going a bit further and you will enter an Anoka County Park that is the entrance to Centerville Lake.

There is a fishing Pier on Peltier and also on Centerville.

I have never fished the one on Centerville and have not had any luck on the Pier at Peltier. However, As you turn into the entrance just east of the bridge over the creek you will come to a Dam on Peltier. There is a large pool next to the Creek. (Actually I think Rice Creek may start at where the water flows over the Dam but I am not sure on that so don't quote me, OK??) Anyway set up a lawn chair and put a sand spike (Rod holder to you) and toss out a sucker minnow. Make sure the minnow is on the BIG SIZE because there are a lot of little bullheads in the pool (besides Big Pike) and the Bullies will drive you bonkers if your bait is not too big for them. I have good luck here all summer long as well as Fall.

Some other good spots I have found are the Rum River above Anoka or at the Dam at Anoka. There is a fishing pier there. A young guy I met last month claimed he nailed a 22 and a 24 inch smallie off the pier next to the Dam in Anoka. Anyway, most of the lakes and sites the other guys have mentioned are good to excellent at times. Especially ice fishing. Good Luck! I live in Fridley, by the way, and fish a lot of the Lakes around here. I do have a boat but sometimes I like to shore fish too. You did not mention what you are after? If might be easier to help you next time if you told us what species you like to fish!

Dont forget about the bass in Crooked.Havent been out there for a while since they were working on the boat ramp. Sure am getting the itch for ice!!

Quote:

A young guy I met last month claimed he nailed a 22 and a 24 inch smallie off the pier next to the Dam in Anoka.

I didn't know basskid left Elk River. blush.gif

Where is basskid? confused.gif

RiverDog! I don't know Basskid. Never met him. I was up to the Dam on my home from my daughters place and decided to drown a Shad Rap for a few minutes and got to talking with the guy. He said he fishes the Rum below the Dam to the Mississippi and the Mississippi from the Coon Rapids Dam North. As I live in Fridley I have neer fished the River from Anoka to Elk River. I have fished the Elk a time or two in the Fall but I really don't go up that way much anymore.

I talked to a kid 8 years ago that fished off the pier, he told me every year he caught a 25# cat, the next time I saw him he had one on his stringer, at the pier. 22 to 24 inch Smallie, 23 yes, 24 no, while I do think it can be done in the Anoka stretch I gotta see a pic on a legitimate board. The best I have seen any of my friends do in the creek has been around 21, with pics, some of these guys are pretty good sticks to.