• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

22nd lets go!

Walli1

I really believe its going to be a great tourney, with plenty of fish caught and by the looks of things the weather is going to be nice. Still got alot of prep work to do,wasn't more than a hour ago I got the new floor section with new carpet layed in the boat, yeah I took the floor back out and put a gel apoxy over the brazing I did just to be safe, Now its ready to take a beating again, should be down at beanies around 6am looking forward to meeting everyone!

Walli1....Good meeting you this morning.We endd up getting spanked pretty good today and didnt make it back to beanies for the weighin.2 15 and16 inch saugers isnt gonna cut it frown.gifAll my spots that I pulled fish off last Sunday werent worth a hoot.How did you guys end up?We actually spent from 2 to 2:30 helping a guy with a monster flathead.He was in a small 12ft boat and no net,it took him about 45mins to get her in but it was worth it.We guessed the fish at very close to 50lbs.Sorry I didnt get to meet more of the FM clan but I hope you guys had fun.Im bookin up to brainerd to see if I can blank again tomorrow mad.gif.Type at ya,s later....Fishin is still alot better than working grin.gif

Well, I'd like to report that we spanked them butt..well, we got our butts handed to us as well. I thought last year was a fluke with one fish in the well. We got nada! Unless you count the multiple smallies, sheepshead and the gar I caught trolling. Had a few missed on jigs but those areas produced a sheepshead. We bagged it about 2:15 and headed in heads hung low but with a great day under our belts. There is always next year! grin.gif

Tunrevir~

Well if it was a tourney for sheephead we would of looked smart but in the eye dept we came up alittle short Ok a lot short, did come up with one eye, so at least I know what they like yet, did manage a 25" cat, nice fight, nice meeting some of the guys, looking forward to getting out in the morning, should be on the water by 5am smile.gif

It was nice meeting you again Walli1. Did you enjoy your sub yet? I am siiting here sipping on some Merlot cool.gif, I don't know how people drink this stuff. Anyway I to was perplexed today. I had my cousin along and hoped to show him a good time. To bad I had to rely on my personality instead of my fishing prowess. Anyway a good time was had by all. Beautiful weather and good eats. Man I feel for you guys that fish up above the Kinni, the wake up that way is in a completely different league. My backside will be sore for a week. Wish I could have met more of you guys, I gotta quite being so shy blush.gif. Good luck tomorrow Walli

Sadly, sounds like quite a few of us had a slow day. Me and B1g1F1sh got skunked in the intended fish department too. We wound up going upstream quite a ways, being sheepish we decided not to head back downstream either, we didn't make it off the river until 5. Was outfished at least 3:1, but did get a pretty nice smallie off lookout point.

So, do you think it was all the organic debris floating in the river? Glad to see we are all too honest to be real fishermen...

LB

yeah i had fun of course. all that crap in the river had to be it. for one how's a fish gonna see our bait in a pod of a billion baitfish ..AND.. all those different colors around the bait. uuugly. not to mention it really limits your options. look how long we were able to troll to find fish , what, 30 secs then reel in. leading worked a little longer but it still got fouled up quick. nice bass too. i say three pounds easy. that was in about 2-3 feet of water... no debris, or at least less. i still got the bigger sheeper. grin.gifcool.gif. just about everything was in side the current or shallow. those last 5 smallies(key being small'ie) were at the end of that little eddy just outside the heavy debri field. that spot if fished a little deeper is a nice spot. i beg you to keep it under your hat. super super hard to fish when it's busy,(as you may have seen). o.k. there is one other thing too. mabe 'cause we murdered all our redtails b4 they even seen a hook? crazy.giffrown.gifmad.gif. anyway your good company and i had fun. gl next time.could'nt find that motor on the internet.

What were you guys all using-minnows? We didn't fish the tournament but was out trying to get some action: Silvers and sheeps. "find the baitfish; find the fish" Well, as mentioned above, the baitfish was splashing everywhere and there were no takers. Only got 1 sheep on worm and a Sunny.. Did find out that the Hudson bay is full of Largemouths!

I was thinking about fishing the tourney, but had plans with my brother to go up to the Flambeau river this weekend. Well those plans fell through and i was still kinda thinkin of giving it a try. But I have never fished in any open water tournys, and I was doubting my skills to produce. Now after reading a few of the reports I think I would have done pretty good. I found 4 'eyes right away in the morning trolling cranks and sticks. All where in a pretty concentrated area and one was just under legal size (14.875"). I found them just outside of Prescott too, which woulda been quite a haul from Beanies. But none the less, next year I am gonna give this tourney a try.

Water temp was only down a few degrees from last week at 65-66. I found most fish on sand with large rocks in the area and they seemed to be hangin a few feet off the bottom in 16-20 fow. I tried crawlers with a harness also later in the day, and did get a few hits but nothing would take it.

I thought with most of yous guys up north and with the Bluffs launch closed (ya, I found out the hard way about that too.) it was gonna be quiet down there. WRONG!!! It was as bad as mid-july down there yesterday. Man, does that crap get annoying.

Hey goose, what time where you out there? I fished that same area from about 6:30 till 10 or so. Pretty slow with a few saugers, sure was a nice morning though, but you are right, I am ready for those ocean-going vessels to be winterized!

Sounds like the tourney was tough, but seems everyone had fun. Thanks for the reports.

Got down to the river alittle late this morning after 6 before got the lines in the water, caught a mix batch stripers, smallies, rock bass, sunfish, sheephead, 2 nice crappies and a walleye, I wish the eyes would be as willing to bite as other species are, all fish today were caught on minnows and jigs

Bassman21 and I blanked on the eye's but had a great day of fishing. I'm ready for next year.

Bassman21, you left to early because they handed out prizes to everybody that was there. Your name was drawn for a shirt and coffee mug (I think). I got real lucky at the drawing a recieved a $100 gift certificate. Too bad I didn't have as good of luck with the Walleyes.

My partner and myself also had a great day on the river. Pre-fished North of Hudson on Fiday and ended up with 4 walleyes weighing 12 pounds so at the end of the day I was feeling pretty smart and confident. I knew we were in trouble after about 2 hours on Saturday as all the baitfish I had marked on Friday were gone, and along with the baitfish so were the walleyes. Oh well, like I said we had a great day on the river. I felt real bad for my partner. This was his first taste of "tournament" fishing and even though he's not an experienced angler he was on top of his game the entire day. We trolled cranks about 90% of the time and he was constantly adjusting the amount of line out to keep his lure in the fish zone and he did it ALL DAY. I felt terrible that he wasn't rewarded for his efforts but he did have 2 fish come unbuttoned before we got a look at them.

Nice to meet all of the others from this board at Beanies. We didn't boat a legal walleye either during the tournament. However if it would have been a smallmouth or sheephead tourney, we would have placed. We threw everything we had from catfish bar to the Stillwater lift bridge with no luck. I was glad to see we were not the only ones without anything in the livewell though. We even fished until after sunset following the tourney and could not find the old marble eyes........

Did any one get a picture of the Sturgeon that won the Biggest Ugliest Fish contest? Please post if you did.

Sorry to not make it guys, I had a football game to coach, and it seemed way to hectic to fish, then leave, coach, drive back, and fish...

See you on the water!

Turk

We left early because we had no fish to weigh, does anyone know what the results were? I looked on the Beanies site this a.m. and nothing was posted. If you have the results I'd really be interested to see how the feild did. We tried everything and fished alot of spots that usually hold fish and came away with nada. Curious as to what the winning weight was. 10lbs?

Tunrevir~

Big fish was just over 3 pounds. I think that was part of the biggest stringer weight which was just over 7 pounds. I believe only 6 or 7 boats even weighed fish in for the tourney. I sat with Walli1 and his brother at the awards/raffle and it was amazing how many of us who spend a number of days on the river were blanked. Still it was a great day until the "cruise ships" got out about noon.

I believe the guy that won biggest walleye (just over 3 pounds) also had the heaviest stringer (just over 10 lbs) but he couldn't win both so he took the largest fish which paid more and the next biggest stringer took the heaviest stringer with just over 7 lbs. Don't quote me on this as my memory ain't what it once was but I think this is right.

Thanks guys for the report! I kinda figured that a couple big fish might take the cake. I was thinking with the bite the way it was that a 10lb stringer would be darn hard to beat! Didn't get to meet up with any of you but I do believe I saw Walli on his way to the dock just before the horn sounded. Didn't have time to chit chat though as I was...., after all of those monster walleyes that I tossed and turned about all night. grin.gif

Tunrevir~