• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
MJCatfish

Fishing Acapulco

MJCatfish

I'm lucky enough to have a wife who is going to a conference in Acapulco the first week of December. Oh, I'm also lucky enough to be able to go with her. grin.gif I do plan on fishing while down there and was wondering if anyone had any good guide or charter service recommendations.

I've done some saltwater fishing in the Florida Keys, Tampa area, and Hawaii, but never in Mexico. I like to fish more hands on rather than take turns cranking in a marlin, etc. Anyone know of any good resources? Any tip at all is much appreciated.

I'll most likely be bringing some fishing gear with, but probably nothing heavier than heavy bass, light pike-type set ups, unless I hear from here otherwise. I do enjoy shore or pier fishing saltwater as well.

Thanks!

MJ

DonBo

Have not fished Acapulco, but have fished in Zihuatanejo (sp?) Sailfish is king in this part of the world. If you will be there more than a couple days I would recommend going to the docks when the boats come in-5:00 usually, and see who has fish. Do this a few days and a pattern emerges. Usually a few boats do better than others. Then talk to the fisherman who come off these boats to see who had the best experience with their captain / crew. Book with this guy. Usually they are only booked a day or two ahead.

Obviously you need to be in town for a while for this to work, but it works great. The day I caught my sailfish there were only 3 caught by the whole fishing fleet.

Check out as many boats as possible. Try to get a deal if you want the boat to yourself, they're Mexican, they will deal.

Another tip, learn a few basic phrases in Spanish. The locals you deal with, although most speak English, realy appreciate it.

Good luck and have a great time!

Duck Matt

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

traveler

MJ; I fish cabo and Mazatlan frequently (leaving for cabo Oct 10th!) and read a lot about the area, but Acupulco just doesn't come up much. I don't doubt sails would be the main target, and imagine dec might still be good, but they like warm water and thats getting pretty late. See if you can find a couple "fish timing charts". I don't put a lot of stock in them, but it's a start. Hanging out at the docks is great if you have tons of time, I've never had that luxury, plus, where I've fished, if the bite is good the better boats are booked in advance. good luck, let us know how it goes.