• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

SE Minnesota Public Land Questions

Cobb73

Has anybody ever hunted the public State Forest land by Rochester or East of there? I was wondering if it is worth the time to head over there a little later in the season to do some bow hunting. Are there the same regulations on stands as there is in WMA's?

I hunt south and east of rochester. I've hunted SE MN for many years. It depends on which area you want to hunt. The Whitewater WMA has lots of potential for big deer as I've seen many good deer taken out of there. Same rule applys statewide for any WMA. There's over 200,000 acres of land to hunt in the Whitewater WMA. Also, there's many hunters that uses this area, which is why we moved down farther southeast. Lots of deer and it's in an intensive harvest zone, so we can tag up to 5 deer per person. Been hunting there for the past 10 yrs or so. It's all bluff country but it's where the big boys play. The area we hunt is not a WMA but it's state forest land. Our area don't have much pressure to deer hunting but too much pressure for small game hunting. We don't usually bow hunt until October when things calm down a bit just in time for pre-rut.

Pretty good bowhunting, but once the lead starts to fly, you might as well leave the bow, deer get real skittish in whitewater.

I am assuming that state forests have a similar stand rule. I can't wait to try this out. I have bow hunted since I could pull one back in West - Central MN, but this is a new style of hunting for me. If I were to head to bluff country should I concentrate on travel routes, field edges (if there are any) or food sources? Again thanks for the help.

Where we hunt, we normally hunt travel routes. There's not a lot of open fields and if there is, the deer leave the field early and show up late. We would hang our stand in between the food source and the bedding area. You gotta remember that the does uses the trail every single day. Same routine, life or death, they'll use it, and they'll still use it after you take one. Like I said, we've been hunting down there for years, so we know which route the deer will take. When the rut gets near, just sit tight and you'll see big boy following.

Like someone previously said. There are big deer down there, but once slug season starts it sounds like a war zone and deer either hunker down or find a sanctuary. I would suggest knocking on some doors and getting permission on private land. Most farmers down there see deer as a nuisance and would be happy if someone took the time to remove some. We hunt a 200 acre plot and removed close to 50 deer in two years. The farmer was so happy he invited us back free of charge for the next 10 years. By the way we shoot a 150 class buck every year off that farm, but otherwise we shoot only does. Just ask nicely and offer to help out one day out of the year and you will have a place to hunt anytime you want.

you really got to watch out on public land down here though, there's a certain group of hunters that will walk in where you are sitting and about 20 of them will come in and shoot everything in site, rabbits, deer, turkey, any kind of birds as well. i was actually shot at two years ago walking through the whitewater area. So just be careful, and if you do see those hunters walking in a large group, try to hide so they won't see you.

Two years ago I had someone shoot my decoy down there during archery season. I think we are talking about the same "hunters". It can get rediculous. He walk right under my stand and let one fly. I flipped out, but the guy couldn't understand me. As you can tell, I speak english.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.