• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Couple of questions

wall_eye_assasin

What kinda weight for an anchor would be needed for an 18 foot Warrior boat. How many lbs and is there a certain type that is better than the other. And not that I am anxious or anything but I have to put my vacation in for next year. Does anyone have the dates of the Sturgeon Excursion? Any help with my questions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Quote:

Does anyone have the dates of the Sturgeon Excursion?

Not sure of the dates but not soon enough buddy! I hope to be up there with a boat though.

Good luck with the Warrior, don't know what the rocket scientists will tell you about weight for an anchor but if you're taking it up to the excursion you might as well pony up and buy a richter...and bring some more steaks and brews!!! smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Hey bro, Thanks for the advice and hope to see you up there, I to will have two friends up their also. I would fish with you and basscatcher again anytime but I have to let my friends enjoy this great adventure also. We will hook up and have a few brews I am sure. Anyone know what kinda weight we will need its a heavy heavy boat. Thanks and see you soon bro.

I would think you'd be fine with a 25lb Richter and 100' of good anchor rope.

Its hard to find good anchors that weigh much more than that, without custom making something.

As for the Excursion, I believe we are tentatively planning the same weekend again.

Thank you Chris again for your time and advice, thats what we will get. Have 3 of us coming this year and it will be here soon.

Oh boy yep can't wait. Sounds like my group will get a little bigger again this year. Another boat in the mix and hopefully another 2 or 3 people. Once you go once you are hooked and have to make it a tradition.

Quote:

How many years do you have to go to make it a tradition?

This will be year 3 for me.

It was a tradition for me after my first year grin.gif.

Should be plan on doing it April 19th for the offical day of the excursion? Might as well start planning early since we are talking about it and all plan on going anyhow.

25# richtor with 5-6' of coated chain and at least 100' of rope and you will be golden. I will at times have a second anchor off the other side to stop wind sway but at times the wind sway helps.

I used a 28# river anchor before and this 25# richtor is way better on hooking up in any type bottom.

TYVM for your advice, We have an anchor that will work for the back and will purchase the richtor anchor. My buddy was wondering why alot of people choose to put a chain on with the rope. Again tyvm for your time. And is the Sturgeon Excursion the 12 or 19th of April. Last year it was the 2nd Saturday. Just wondering.

Quote:

My buddy was wondering why alot of people choose to put a chain on with the rope?

2 things-

1) When anchoring, it lays on the bottom of the lake/river which should get the anchor to tip on its side easier. Once the anchor is sideways, it'll grab bottom.

2) Once anchored, it acts as a shock absorber between the rope and the anchor. With rope tied straight to the anchor, when the boat rocks and rolls in the waves, the rope can pull your anchor loose. A chain will lay on the bottom of the river and absorb this pull from the rocking and rolling boat.

I have a 18' warrior and also have a 25 lbs richter anchor with chain and it works great. Highly recommend it.