• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I went out on superior for the first time. We tried fishing with dipsey divers for a while with no luck, then ended up just trolling spoons near shore. Can anyone give me any tips on what I should be doing, we have no idea. I only have a small 14ft fishing boat with no fish finder or depth finder. We will be launching at knife river. Any help would be much appreciated.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

If your fishing on top you have to get your lines away from the boat. In-line boards or or a mast/planner board set is preferred. You don't have much to work with so I say concentrate on the shorelines around the river mouths.

Dipsys will dive and or pull your lines away from the boat. Since thats what you have, experiment with depths and side planning options with two lines there. Your next line I'd use 5 oz inline weight and run that out the back 120 ft. Next line I'd long line out the back with 2 oz. Stick to 1/4 mile off shore and hit the low light hours.

If you have a 4x4 and a light 14ft boat I'd put in at Bluebird and troll off the French, Sucker or even Stony Point.

Is it necessary to use the dipsey diver to bring your lure all the way to the bottom? What is the depth you want your lure at? Constantly I was snagging rocks trying to get the diver as low as it would go

I launched at Knife River last weekend ,,,used dipsys only (too rough for boards) and didnt have a problem snagging bottom ,,,with 100-120 ft of line out dipsy set at 2 1/2 ,, my lures were down 40-50 ft,,, picked up most of our fish in 70-90 ft of water

You are fishing blind on Superior if you dont know how deep you are ,,,find a cheap sounder if you can

Good Luck

Randoid

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Without a sounder its a shot in the dark. I'd use the dipsies to get away from the boat and down and not to the bottom, just down in the water column. Your very limited as far as gear goes. Thats why I suggested you stick close to shore and around the river mouths. I think thats your best bet to get into fish with what you have. Your first investment should be a sounder w/temp.

Try vertical jigging! Drift around, bang the bottom and work the whole water column. Use 1/2-2oz jigs. Tip them w/ ciscos. Works like a charm!