• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Have my Grandmother coming up this week and she wants a walleye dinner. smile.gif Havent been out for walleyes lately. Any Tips on whats workin?

Ah ha, the old "takin Grandma fishin" line.......Just kiddin.....From the sounds of it, the fishing has been quite good. The typical fall spots are starting to see a few fish. Just about any place has some fish and for the most part, they have been active. Lindy and a minnow or jig and a minnow

so many spots...pick one...crawler or minnow....if a jig is used its time to get real vertical,,,,shorter snells for lindys....the fishing is going to be good for quite a while!!!!!!

Jigs & minnows or lindys & minnows. Both have their place depending upon the location and conditions.

You will get a few fish at almost any spot and lots of fish at some spots.

Cliff

Thanks for the tips guys. I braved the weather yesterday from about 7am til 1pm and put some nice fish in the boat. Found the nicest fish up shallow and did well with jigs tipped with rainbows or pike suckers. Seemed bigger the minnow = bigger the fish. Let about 1/2 dozen real nice slot fish go with the biggest being just a shade over 24". Had one light northern sized sucker in the bucket that I threw on the jig and something big sucked it up within 10 seconds of putting it down. I set the hook and it didnt budge. Whatever it was took one nice run and the hook popped out. crazy.gif Anyway, Grandma will be enjoying fish tonight grin.gif Probably headin back out on Saturday. If anyone sees an Alumacraft Trophy with a 100 Yamaha and guy wearin a green jacket in it..stop and say hi! smile.gif

Jason,

See you on Sunday!

Hope that there was no damage to your cabin! shocked.gif

Let me know where you want to meet.

Cliff

Went out this morning again for awhile. Fished all on the east end. Caught some nice fish again. Key seemed to be hitting the windblown shorelines with big minnows on a fireball in about 7 to 11ft of water. Actually was only able to keep 2. The rest were all too big but what a blast catching em. Anyone heard anything about the musky fishing lately?

I fished out on pike bay yesterday and today and caught 6 walleyes and 1 jumbo perch. Only 2 keeper walleyes the rest too small. I noticed 4 boats fishing in the pike river below the dam and a few more at the mouth. I wonder what they were catching. Tried in the mouth for a little bit out of curiosity but didnt get anything.

I just returned from a week at the cabin.In spite of the thunderstorms, rain, lightning, and heavy winds during the week I managed to boat 158 Walleye. Only one was over the slot at 19" and maybe 25% were legitimate keepers (14" to 16") the rest were all small. I had a chance to talk to several other fisherman and they had similar reports. I fished my favorite 8 fall spots so from what I am reading the big hogs are obviously out there some where. I fished in the same spot by one of the lakes favorite guides a couple of times and they landed no lunkers as well. So, where are the hogs hiding??

The only other hint I can give is to find the neck down areas in between the islands where the wind is pushing a current through. I have been moving alot too. If I come up on a spot and only catching small fish, I move right away. When I find the "hot" spots, I havent been catching anything below 15 inches. The last couple days they have also been favoring more towards the pike sucker minnows and big rainbows. Hope this helps....If anyone sees me on the lake, stop by and I'll be more than happy to share some info. As I mentioned before I have an Alumacraft Trophy 175 with a 100 Yamaha and I am normally wearing a green jacket.

Bet you wish you would have been to Winni to try out the new Ranger your going to be getting hey Tominator instead of catching all those pesky Northerns...

Bigswede,

Love your signature post, describes me to a "T". Felt I didn't need to test run the Rangers as I know from experience that they are the best boats on the water. Hopefully my better half will cave into my whining and let me get a new Ranger. If she does I have a great gently used Ranger for you to buy. It is Walleye tested and has seen literally 1000's of Lake Vermillion Walleye. Take care and,

Get the net, Tominator

MNBigBear,

Thanks for the insight. I am coming up on Thursday and will try your suggestions. Thanks again and

Get the net, Tominator692

Hey Vermilionwally, how do I find your boat, I'd like to fish for them there, if that's where they really are!

I'm coming up next week to grouse hunt, and bringing the boat along. Are the leaves gone yet, or should I just fish? Any thoughts would be appreciated. I too like the east end, and if the fall patterns are up, and the lake has flipped, I'm there. Please confirm.

I dont think the lake has flipped yet as of last weekend. The walleyes are biting pretty well on the east end. I went out grouse hunting last weekend before i went fishing and it turned out to be a waste of time i think ill just fish this weekend. Youll have to find my secret holes if you wanna fish in my livewell grin.gif

Underbrush is still pretty thick for woods hunting. But things are thinning out. It will be getting better as time goes by.

MN Big Bear,

I have to convince my wife I need a new Ranger before I can sell the old one. If I do get the go ahead I will send you details of my current Ranger, it is truly a beauty and gently used. I already have it in storage and am fishing out of my back up boat.

Get the net, Tominator 692

Went grouse hunting on Sunday afternoon for 3 hours, saw 6 birds, missed them all. Just walked logging trails around Pfeiffer Lake area. Great time, it was my first.

got out fishing yesterday on the east end. Walleyes were shallow we caught all of ours in 5-8 feet of water. Between 4 of us we caught 15 walleyes all trolling rapalas along shorelines. We got 7 keepers in the 13-16" range, 6 small ones that went between 6-11" and 2 in the slot one nice 20 incher and another just above 17 inches. Has anybody had any luck finding the hawgs, next weekend i would like to try a little bit of hawg hunting, i think the fall is a good time to get one and ive never got a walleye over 20 inches on vermilion. frown.gif

Try some big minnows on jigs in the same areas you were finding the fish with the rapalas. I have been catching my biggest fish on rainbows and suckers anywhere from 3-6 inches long. Some dandy smallmouth in the mix too. Buddy put one around 20" in the boat the other day. Good luck smile.gif