• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I've never done fall fishing for walleyes before. Reading the posts I get the impression that its deep water or breaks-breaks weedlines. Big minnows like redtails or suckers or crawlers.

What else? Are they still light sensitive feeders even when fattening up? I know that water turnover can affect fishing but how? And with the rain we've been having, does that flush in food near inlets?

And is the main lake or Pike bay the place to try? Looking for some fishing fun and action and some eaters too. I've fished Cass before but never in the fall.

Boy the fall colors are coming, the maples are just bright right now-ever notice how much brighter the colors are on overcast days like yesterday?

me,

You asked a lot of good questions but what makes the biggest difference in the fall fishing is the weather... Watch for the Cold Fronts!!!! The fishing is great in the fall, BUT when turnover hits the water temps are the same from top to bottom... So in return the fish have a wide range to choose from of where they want to roam... What you need to look for is where are the bait fish or the forage that the eye's want... In October we can catch them in 40-50 feet of water or in 4-8 feet of water... NOW, what I don't like to do is chase them in deep water because of the chance of killing a nice fish is very high... I will only go out to about 20-25 feet of water, but like I said earlier we can also find them up on top of structure to... As for bait, starting last week I only use jigs and minnows now... Some guys like to troll redtails on spinner or roach rigs, but I'm more of a verticle or jig fisherman this time of the year. The thing that I notice the most during the fall is pay attention to the electronics- they will show and tell you alot about what is going on down below the surface.. As for a sensitive bite--ahh NO.. They like to HAMMER the bait now...

Hang On and Have Fun!!!!

Beef

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Beef hit in right on the head. I'd add that you should also look for good thick green cabbage beds. There will be fish there day or night. Sometimes walleyes, other times pike and also muskies. Even the panfish hang out there. laugh.gif

We've had very good luck pulling cranks both day and night. Otherwise it's jig and minnow.

Good Luck!

Thanks guys!-I'm looking forward to it, looks like we'll give it a go on Saturday.

Best time of the year!!!!!!!!

Should be great weather on Saturday... The rain/sprinkles that are here now are suppose to get stronger as the day progresses... This weekend is suppose to be warm and the fishing should be hot....

beef

Don't worry about turnover. Turn over does not happen until the surface temps reach the LOW 40's Long time yet.

I believe some of the area lakes turned over this week, specifically Andrusia, water in Cass Andrusia and Wolf got very green overnight, cleared up by the next day and yesterday I dropped the probe down Andrusia, it was 62.4 on the surface and 61.7 45 feet down, when the temp is nearly the same from top to bottom on lakes that stratify I believe this is the clue to that it happened.In a perfect world with no wind, it would not theoretically happen till the surface was 39.7? but factor in wind it can happen long before that. This is just the way i understand it, I may be wrong.

Hey Beef you still involved in the school or did you move on? I used to live in Cass Lake, so I was just wondering? I sure miss being able to fish as much as I wanted and eat walleyes, but I don't miss the economy up there... life was hard!!! wink.gif

Yeah I'm still teaching away at CLBHS... It is a fun place to work but like most jobs it has it's moments... Best thing about teaching is JUNE/JULY/AUGUST... I think I would go crazy working 12 months of the year--WAIT I do work 12 months of the year...9 months in the classroom and 3 months on the lake grin.gifgrin.gif

Why I like it here:

Today work at the school and after school go out to a local farmer's field and shoot geese.. Drive Time: 4 minutes...

Tommorrow Morning wake-up go walleye fishing from 7:00 a.m.-Noon then drop the boat off and grab the gun and head to the woods for some Grouse hunting!!!!

Beef

Didn't a front just come through yesterday? Will that impact the fishing in a bad way this weekend?

I'm contemplating coming up tonight, but may wait until next weekend hoping that the fishing would be a bit better.

You can catch fish anytime on the water... The front is coming in today and last night... As you know down in Woodbury with severe stuff you guys also experienced.. I would say Saturday afternoon and Sunday should be good for fishing... Today there are saying up to 40 MPH winds... After that passes the wind is suppose to be 4-10 mph out of the south... My answer would be anytime you can be on the water, be there!!!!

Hope this helps a little,

Beef

Sounds like we'll be heading up next weekend instead. Hopefully the weather will be good and the fish will be biting.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

(Skol Vikings Guy)

Well...............it was a beautiful day out on the water, a little bit windier than I hoped for, but we gave it a whirl.........Cedar Island, girls camp, N shore, Allens bay, and 3 perch was all that we could wrestle from Cass. Still learning my trolling motor and flasher but did find structure and weeds. Used jigs with shiners and fatheads. Lots of Rangers out there, must have been muskie hunting and a tournament? of sorts. Saw a picture of 2 long fish (jacks or skis?) being taken towards n end of lake.

Still have LOTS to learn about fall fishing and boat handing in wind. Thanks for the tips and thoughts.............how'd anyone else do on walleyes Saturday afternoon?