• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Well this may be the last weekend till ice fishing. It seems like the fishing will be decent, but how about the grouse?

I've heard there's some trails a guy can walk but I'm wondering if there's any public ground up the Echo trail. We've talked about driving it many times but have yet to do it. Are there some places a guy could pull off and put his dog to work?

If any advice givers are local, I could drop off a couple for ya if I get some!! grin.gif

Wanderer,

What's wrong with the Big Moose or Angleworm portages.

Plenty of walking distance, and shouldn't be much canoe traffic in those areas.

Grouse hunting up the trail was pretty good last weekend. A couple of friends from the cities came up, and if they can do well, grouse must be flying in through the car windows! grin.gif

The grouse are plentiful. I've been up the Echo six times in the last two weeks and have seen grouse just out on the road and trails each time, and most trips I see several birds. Not hunting for them, either.

Any public trail off the Echo will hold grouse. As Jim mentioned, the Angleworm and Big Moose trails are good. So is the Stuart Trail, and Agassa (opposite Angleworm) also holds birds. Depending on how far up you want to go, you can find a number of forest roads that take you off the Echo (more of them if you get 30 miles out of Ely) and there are walking/hunting trails sprouting off all those forest roads. Virtually all the land off any of these forest roads is public land, and I've found up the Echo that most all the land that shows up as private on the national forest map is marked with "no trespassing" signs.

If you want more specific help than that, shoot me an e-mail. My addy is always in my signature below.

Don't know if it helps, but for the area in general, I saw a lot of grouse on my property last week on the NW end of Vermilion. I just about had three heart attacks at the ripe old age of 31.

Thanks guys! cool.gif

Jim, whats wrong with those trails--well I'll tell ya! I didn't know they existed! I'm sitting here with my Superior National Forest map open to the Echo and have picked out the portages/trails you and Steve named.

I didn't consider hunting the portages. Seems kinda odd to me. About as odd as the Warden telling me I could hunt the Root River bike trail for turkeys-on my bike if I wanted! shocked.gif

Steve, thanks for the offer but by the looks of it I'll have plenty of ground to cover between the times I'll be feeding Jim's minnows to the walleyes! laugh.giflaugh.gif I'll pick your brain more after I learn this stuff.

Shall I spare some venison for everybody at the Bash??? I make a good backstrap on the grill.

YO WANDERER!!!!!

What are you up to now? Giving up on the rod 'n reel for a shotgun? Well, that is how Jim gets his fish! He shoots them in the river between Shags and Burntside in April, freezes them, and takes one out every now and then for an Angler photo! grin.gif

Ahh, anyhoo...I am going to try and get out fishin' tomorrow after work, so I may have a report for you. How far are you willing to drive to go hunting? I know some good spots where you won't see anyone, but they are away from town. I also have beer! Give me a shout!

Justin

Well....Pretty tough to give up completely. Thats why this is my favorite time of year. I'll be fishin AND huntin cool.gif this weekend. Threeball sent me some pics of some nice eyes he and his dad (I think) took over the summer. Good motivation!

And yeah to the beer...you punked out on me last time! smirk.gif

The problem with this fall is the new job didn't come with standing vacation mad.gif. I did work the first Ripley bow season into it though. grin.gif We have our stands already set up Benson so we can double up after pheasant opens. Picked up my fall turkey tag for SE Minnesota too!

Look out boys! Here it comes!!! grin.gifgrin.gif

Steve, do you guys cook and eat after 3pm at the Bash or do you fish right there at HQ while the meats on the spit?

Quote:

Steve, do you guys cook and eat after 3pm at the Bash or do you fish right there at HQ while the meats on the spit?

Yes! grin.gif

(we do both).

Man, this weather sure has been crazy! I was hoping to get out and fish tonight, but that isn't going to happen! Maybe tomorrow....Jim, what time do you open in the morning?

Steve, I have in my posession one really nice prize that I would like to donate to the Bash. I am planning on coming this year finally!

Tracy, With no vacation time, you are now entering my world! grin.gif I am finally off this weekend-first time since August 4th. Ahhh...but the days are growing short and the golfer's days are numbered! Pretty soon, I will be shelling out enough money at The Great Outdoors that Jim will be packing his bags for Hawaii!

Justin

Yo, Justin,

This time of year, about 6:40-6:55am.

Be closing until iceup around the 2nd, maybe 3rd weekend in Oct.

OK there, Jim.

I am not sure if I am heading out in the morning or not. Thinking about sleeping in, but I will probably be up early. If I don't make it out right away, I will probably stop by in the morning for coffee.

Later,

Justin

What Bash?

I just moved back to Ely in july, been gone 10 years..

if you can give me more info on things.. you need anything donated? Do you need help?

Kallista, the Burntside Bash will be the sixth annual one this January. Last weekend in January all us lake trout nuts (and not a few laker rookies) gather from FM and other places in Ely to fish Burntside Lake. We've had more than 100 turn out for this annual event, depending largely on snow/slush conditions.

You'll definitely want to put it on your calendar. And, closer to the time of the bash, we'll start some threads that we'll sticky to the top of the board. Meanwhile, if you use the "search" feature here on the board and type Burntside Bash and specify this BWCAW-Duluth-Ely-Range board and tell it to go back at least a year, you'll find plenty of threads from last January's Bash. grin.gif

Great, and thanks for the info, i will be looking forward to the Bash... is there any prizes or give aways? i can tie some flies or something and donate them?

Just got in some polar bear fur.. and jungle cock feathers.. cant wait to tie some

Yep, Kallista, lots of giveaways. Some years we've actually had an entry fee/tourney and big prizes, though the last two years it's been more of a simple gathering with many smaller prizes such as lures, maps, hats, rods and stuff like that. I suspect this year's Bash will be along those simpler lines again. Your flies would be a great addition, and I thank you for it.

Will get on that for sure..

Ok back to this topic and echo tail grouse hunting..I been hearing that all who's been going up have got many grouse over the last few days.. I am heading up that way Monday and Tuesday.

To the ones who already been up that way, were there alot of ticks? see any on your dogs? yourself? Just wondering cause i might take my pup out for some fun and maybe let him get a taste of some grouse feathers and to have a tromp in the woods..a pup needs to play too

I've been in the woods several days in the last two weeks, including up the Echo, and there was not a sign of a tick (wasn't wearing repellant, either).

Great...

Been up and around the trails by the ski hill.. I saw guys coming out with grouse in bags but with no guns.. weird.. took the ATV all around in there, i didn't see any grouse.. Had Hunter out there and he nor i got any ticks.. good news for us lol

Went down fernberg, saw alot on look out rd and snowbank.. was just out looking tho.. Thought about shooting but i didn't want to scare Hunter with the noise, hes 9 weeks old.. We have lots of time to get him used to the shotgun.. After a bit i just left it in the jeep and got some fun time in.

confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

I must have been too confident and wanted grouse too bad! We got two and missed one. No unseen flushes either!

We went up the Echo as far as Big Moose. Hunted a variety of cover and walked some trails. Dumbfounded! It was like my first summer of fishing in the area. They gotta be there!

We went toward Isabella too and saw NOTHING! Well, a steaming pile of moose nuggets was kinda cool. grin.gif But when you rate that as a highlight of your hunting day, you're in trouble!!!

And as a last resort we idled down about 10 miles of logging roads looking the area over and scanning the brush South of the Tomahawk. We couldn't believe it. We barely hunted the same kind of cover twice; trying to switch it up until we found a pattern. Maybe the problem was actually having dogs??!!! Moving too fast??? I dunno...

We still had a good time anyway and I'll try it again.

P.S. I witnessed the Fishmaster catch two walleyes Sat. night. One 4 lbs and one 6! ...Or maybe a little less...

Oh, Kallista, I play some tug of war with my dog but she clearly understands the difference between a rag or rope and a pheasant. And she knows what her job is. Flush it, find it, and bring it to my hand.

Many others will tell you not to do that however.

Are grouse habitual birds?? Walked a trail flushing one a week ago( not ready for a shot). FLushed same exact spot next day strangley looked liek the same bird too fast for me. The next day same spot again! I got a shot off. I coulda sworn I had to hit it but no feathers, carcass nothing! 2 days later my buddy who was with on the first trip flushed one same spot and he said it was like it couldnt fly. He killed it. Strangley it looks like the same bird everytime really ash grey colored. any thoughts on this??

Bassboy,

I was hoping somebody more enlightened about the ways of the ruffed grouse would tell you something but now you're stuck with my "thoughts". crazy.gif

I think to some extent you are correct, about that grouse at least. I actually grew up hunting grouse North of Brainerd but its been a long time since then. We used to have some VERY reliable spots for flushes year after year. They were true until we killed the bird(s). Then we had to wait till the next year many times.

I believe the males in particular stake out their territory and don't leave for much. I know I witnessed this at my sportsmans club last year on the 3D archery course. We came across a young grouse by a target that wasn't shy at all. I started clucking at him and he charged up to us and strutted. I knelt down and picked at the ground in front of him with a curled finger. He attacked my hand! shocked.gif

This game went on for a long time and as we started walking away he followed a bit until I stopped, turned around and clucked again. He charged from over 20 yards away, up to and through my legs and wing beat me up to my thighs! He wanted more!

It was one of the weirdest things I'd ever experienced. My guess is you won't see a similar bird on that spot again this fall. Unless its a clover patch! grin.gif

LIFE CYCLE

Trees alone do not guarantee the presence of this forest bird. Breeding, nesting and brooding cover and food for the

winter are basic to grouse survival. The male also needs a well-protected area for drumming. Ruffed grouse populations

are cyclic and numbers change dramatically from year to year, with a population peak occurring about every 10 years.

Good grouse habitat can support as many as one bird every four acres in a peak year but only one bird per 40 acres in a

down year. The causes of this natural phenomenon are not completely understood. It may be a combination of variation

in weather, quantity and quality of food, and predation. Although we cannot control these natural cycles, quality habitat

will support more numbers of birds regardless of the overall population trend.

Ruffed grouse don't migrate and usually spend their entire life in an area

less than 40 acres. Adult males establish territories as small as 6 to 10

acres and hens range over the territories of 2 to 3 males during the winter.

FOOD

Aspen trees provide the most important year-round sources of food for

ruffed grouse in the form of green leaves, flower buds and catkins. In most

winters, the flower buds of aspen are the most important grouse food.

When grouse do not have access to this food, winter catkins of hazel, birch

and willow will be consumed. Green leaves or clover, wild strawberry and

acorns also provide important seasonal food.

COVER

The best cover for ruffed grouse occurs in aspen stands regenerating from

fire, windstorms or clear cut logging. Grouse prefer medium densities of

slender woody stems rising vertically from the ground to give them

protection from predators. Intermediate aged trees (10 to 25 years old)

Fish and Wildlife Habitat Management Guide Sheet

Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) - Minnesota

provide this necessary breeding and drumming cover.

In southeastern Minnesota, where oak forests are more prominent and aspen is a lesser component, cover should be

provided by managing oak stands to create dense 5-15 foot tall cover.

Forests dominated by conifers are undesirable grouse habitat because pines, spruce and balsam fir provide effective

screening for preying owls and goshawks.

SEASONAL HABITAT REQUIREMENTS

Spring

Ruffed grouse males begin their spring ritual in late March or early April. They beat the air with their wings to create the

hollow-sounding thump or "drum" slowly at first, and then progressively more rapidly. Although they drum throughout

the year, drumming activity peaks in April and May, when daylight reaches a certain length. This is when the males

advertise their territories to other males and attempt to attract females for breeding.

A male grouse chooses a drumming site that has certain

characteristics. The most obvious is a large log, stump or

stone that serves as a drumming stage. Such a stage places

the drummer six inches or more above the forest floor and

improves his visibility and perhaps the distance from

which his drumming can be heard. There is often one or

more mature male aspen trees within site of the drumming

log. The best drumming habitat has a lot of vertical cover

created by a dense stand of 1-3 inch diameter aspen

saplings, and very little horizontal cover. Often the stage is

surrounded by hazelnut (Corylus americana), dogwood

(Cornus spp.), willow (Salix spp.), or other shrubs. The

heavy vertical cover created by saplings and shrubs and

the lack of horizontal cover provide excellent protection

against predators. Avian hunters, such as great-horned

owls (Bubo virginianus) or goshawks (Accipiter gentilis),

have trouble flying through a dense stand of saplings, while the lack of horizontal ground cover allows the grouse to

detect approaching mammalian predators or other grouse. Proper cover improves the chances of ruffed grouse survival.

The drumming male mates with several females. Hens prefer to nest where they can see well over a 50-60 foot radius.

Each hen incubates her eggs and raises the chicks on her own. She usually chooses a nesting site in medium-aged woods,

often within the vicinity of a drumming male. The nest is little more than a shallow bowl in the ground, often at the base

of a large tree. It is lined with whatever material is available, such as dried leaves, and some of her own feathers.

The hens lay from 9 to 14 eggs. An average clutch has 11 of the whitish or buff-brown eggs. It takes 17 days to produce

an average-sized clutch, and the hens incubate their eggs for 23 or 24 days.

During the nesting season, the adults eat high-energy foods, such as the emerging leaves and catkins of aspen trees. They

also eat the young forbs of the forest floor. Incubating hens leave their nests in the early morning and again in the evening

for brief visits to feeding areas, although they become less inclined to leave their nests later in the incubation period or

during periods of inclement weather.

The eggs hatch in late May or early June. The young hatch at the same time because the female waited until laying the

last egg before starting to incubate and begin development of the chicks. After a few hours the newly hatched chicks are

dry and the hen leads her brood away from the nest toward a stand of sapling aspen for food and protective cover. Grouse

chicks are precocial; that is, they hatch at a well-developed stage and do not have to spend time growing in the nest.

Summer

For the next 8 to 12 weeks the hen leads her chicks around an area that may vary from 10 to 40 acres in size. If a predator

threatens her young, she will try to distract it by feigning an injury. Each brood has its own territory, although some

intermixing of broods does occur. The brood area is usually a stand of mixed hardwoods or an alder (Alnus rugosa)

thicket. In central Minnesota grouse broods use upland stands of aspen and alder intensively. The brood hen prefers areas

that are sheltered but free of a lot of ground debris, such as fallen or cut trees, so that the young can move freely. An

upland stand of aspen that is up to 15 years old can provide brood cover. Such stands often have a thick understory layer

of ferns, especially bracken fern (Pteridium aquilinum), and this provides cover and at the same time allows the chicks to

move freely among the stems.

Summer is a time of rapid development for ruffed

grouse chicks. The young birds grow fast, and molt

and produce a whole new set of feathers. This requires

a large amount of energy. For this reason, the chicks'

diet consists of up to 90% animal matter, primarily

insects and other invertebrates. This diet also provides

a lot of protein. Insects are abundant in moist areas,

such as alder thickets, and these areas stay cool during

hot summer months.

By mid-summer the chicks are well developed. They

are noticeably larger and their natal plumage is almost

completely replaced. There are also noticeably fewer

of them alive. Numbers of ruffed grouse chicks decline

naturally throughout the summer, especially when the

birds are still very young. At this stage of life they are

susceptible to many kinds of mortality: rainy, cold

weather; predators; and accidents. By August an average brood that started out as 11 eggs may have only 6 remaining

young. The ruffed grouse is one species that makes a big initial "investment" by producing 11 eggs to ensure that some of

the chicks will make it through the critical summer period and through the winter to breed the following spring.

In late August and early September, the remaining chicks are virtually identical in size and coloration to the adults. The

young grouse are now less inclined to stick together in a tight brood, and they go wandering off to various areas in the

brood territory. Brood members often get back together or join with individuals from different broods.

Fall

By early fall the berry crops have ripened, and a variety of plants are heavy with seeds and nuts. The birds feed on wild

raspberries, blueberries, grapes and cherries; the fruit of dogwoods, viburnums and hawthorn; acorns; the seeds of sedges

and clover; and the leaves of aspens, buttercup, alder and others. At this time of year, ruffed grouse are true generalists in

their diet.

The birds can be found in habitats associated with these food-producing plants. Aspen woods, alder thickets and stands of

mixed hardwoods support grouse. After the broods have broken up in late summer, the young birds enter a period of

dispersal in early fall. They leave their old brood territories and wander into new areas. The birds often travel alone or

they may join other juveniles from the same or a different brood and wander with them. Juvenile females typically travel

3-4 times further from the brood area than juvenile males. The average distance traveled is 1 to 2 miles, some birds have

been known to move over 10 miles.

While traveling across the countryside, the young and inexperienced birds often find themselves in areas that do not offer

much protection. They may wander into fields or open woodlands where there is very little shrub cover. Because of their

movement in unknown habitats that offer little protective cover, the dispersing grouse are especially vulnerable to

predators. Great-horned owls and goshawks feed on ruffed grouse, and red fox (Vulpes fulva) take a few. Predators and

their young eat ruffed grouse all year, but there are always enough survivors to breed in the spring.

By the time late fall arrives, the grouse that are still alive have survived the summer, intense predation and fall dispersal.

The juveniles are now fully grown and wear the plumage of adults. Many young males have established a drumming

territory in their first fall, and some of the juvenile hens are now roosting in a spot where they will later hatch a clutch of

eggs.

At this time of year, grouse change their diet. Now that the variety and abundance of late summer and early fall foods

have diminished, the birds leave their generalist eating habits behind to become specialists on tree buds. The buds of

certain trees are usually available for the remainder of the year and are high in protein and certain minerals. Grouse eat

aspen buds, especially of male trees that are 10 to 20 years old, or other dense brushy cover in association with mature

aspen. This includes the buds of willow, hazel, birch (Betula spp.), apple (Malus spp.), maple (Acer spp.), ironwood

(Ostrya virginiana) and others. They also eat fruits and mast, such as dogwood berries and acorns, when available.

Ruffed grouse will also be attracted to sunny edges (trails, openings) to feed on greens such as clover, forbs, and berries.

Winter

A number of things have happened to prepare the grouse for the cold. In late fall, feathers began to grow on their legs so

that now the tarsi are fully feathered. This helps to conserve body heat. At the same time, fleshy comblike projections

along the edges of their toes, called pectinations, have developed to help the birds walk on soft snow or to roost for the

night on a branch in some protected thicket. And, as already mentioned, the birds have switched to a diet of buds and

twigs. In southeastern Minnesota, south and southwest facing slopes are preferred wintering areas, and sumac, hazel and

red cedar provide food and cover.

Ruffed grouse spend the winter months trying to keep warm, well fed and out of the way

of predators. In the mornings, the birds leave their nightly roosting spot, which may be a

young stand of conifers or a woodlot that is protected from the wind, to feed in a nearby

stand of trees. They often form small feeding aggregations of up to 10 birds. Each bird

fills its crop with buds and twigs and then returns to its roost to digest its meal in safety.

The birds repeat the foraging expedition in the afternoon before settling in for the evening.

With full crops, they digest food throughout the winter night. The digestive action

increases their metabolism, which in turn produces body heat to help keep them warm.

Ruffed grouse usually roost in a protected wooded area, but when there is over 10 inches

of soft powdery snow, they dive or burrow into a snowbank and spend the night there. A

snow burrow is considerably warmer than a tree roost. There can be as much as a 45-

degree difference in Centigrade temperature between the air and a burrow. A grouse may stay beneath the snow for a few

days if the weather is especially severe. Ruffed grouse in snow burrows are often more susceptible to predation than

birds roosting in trees.

Woodland Management

Ruffed grouse thrive in a dynamic forest ecosystem subject to periodic disturbance. The best grouse habitat is created

when a forest with aspen is burned or clear-cut every 40 to 50 years in small, dispersed patches. Good ruffed grouse

habitat provides a combination of food and cover (young and old aspen stands) within a small area of 5-15 acres.

Optimum ruffed grouse habitat should include:

· Brushy areas and young aspen stands to provide cover and supply summer and fall foods,

· Mature aspen stands with an understorv of hazel or ironwood that provide food in fall, winter and spring,

· Dense sapling aspen stands to provide brood cover.

To maximize ruffed grouse densities, you should provide all of their annual habitat needs within 6-10 acres. A mix of

aspen age classes is best achieved through a series of small clear-cuts by commercial timber harvest or cutting firewood in

small blocks. Nearly all trees within the cut boundaries must be removed to allow full sunlight for regeneration.

If you own a large tract of forested land, you should consider it as a collection of 10 acre blocks and try to provide the

proper mix of habitat within each block.

If your land has less than 20 acres of aspen, birch, or oak, cooperate with your neighbors or adjacent public land

foresters, to work out a plan to improve grouse densities. If you meet these habitat requirements within a 10 acre area,

one breeding pair of ruffed grouse should be able to reside on the area and rear a brood.

Aspen Management

The best way to improve ruffed grouse habitat is through aspen management. Aspen and mixed stands of

aspen/hardwood or aspen/conifers should be managed to maximize grouse densities. The ideal way to obtain maximum

aspen regeneration is to clear-cut, exposing the ground to sunlight, which stimulates suckering from the roots of cut trees.

Once aspen is established on a site, it will persist for hundreds of years if burned, broken down or cut periodically.

Harvesting during the winter usually provides the best aspen regeneration. In an unmanaged aspen forest, other trees such

as balsam fir or red maple, of less value as grouse habitat, will take over the forest.

Aspen Cutting Methods

A 40-year harvest or cutting rotation of aspen is the goal for management of ruffed grouse habitat. Aspen harvesting

should be scheduled as the current age and condition of the timber dictate. Habitat goals can still be achieved with small

block cuts harvested every 5-7 years. High quality aspen that is in good condition may allow harvest beyond 70 years of

age. The key is to schedule harvesting before the aspen becomes too old to re-sprout.

Four typical management methods are recommended for aspen stands Method #1: with a 40 acre tract, four

2 1/2 acre blocks could be logged as a 10 acre timber sale or firewood cut every 10-15 years. Method #2: another method

is to cut one quarter of the aspen stand in 2 1/2 – 10 acre blocks, then an additional quarter every 10 years. These two

methods can eventually produce maximum fall densities. Methods #3, #4 are recommended for stands over 50 years old

which require an accelerated 10-20 year cutting rotation, consult the MDNR Area Wildlife Manager for additional

recommendations.

Oak Management

Oaks are more predominant than aspen in the hardwood forests of southeastern Minnesota. These mixed oak-hickory

woodlands have a high potential for improving habitat for grouse. A mosaic of 1-10 acre regenerating cuts dominated by

5-15 foot tall oak or aspen saplings adjacent to mature timber provides the best year-round grouse habitat. The potential

of a woodland to support ruffed grouse is reduced if maples, basswood, or conifers are allowed to dominate.

The goal is to maintain or perpetuate the oak or mixed oak woodlands by active management. Oak management is

influenced by the quality, condition and age of the timber; the amount of oak reproduction (saplings) and other trees or

shrubs that are present; soil type and the topography and the size of your oak woodland and whether the oak is scattered

throughout the stand or grows in clumps. Stands less than 10 acres in size are managed differently than larger

woodlands. After oaks reach 90-100 years of age they will not sprout as vigorously, making it difficult to regenerate old

stands.

There are two timber harvest methods that will produce young saplings to provide the mix of food and cover required by

ruffed grouse. The option you use depends upon whether there is already oak regeneration in the stand and the age and

condition of the trees. Do not harvest oaks without professional advice ... to do so invites regeneration failure.

Shelterwood Cuts

Where oak seedlings are not present, a series of partial cuttings or thinnings are applied to the woodland to open the

canopy and allow acorn germination. Up to 40 percent of the canopy should be removed to encourage seedling growth.

When saplings reach the proper size, in about 5 years, a final clear-cut removes the remaining canopy.

Clear-cuts

Small, scattered 5-20 acre blocks should be cut in oak woodlands at or near maturity, if adequate oak saplings are

present. Cutting patterns similar to those for aspen should be used, harvesting 10 to 15 percent of the stand every 5-10

years. Reserve 3 to 6 trees/acre in a clear-cut for acorn production. Clumps of oak or aspen saplings more than 3 feet

tall should be left standing in clear-cuts.

Dont forget to plant clover... they will be in thick for clover