• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Public Hunting Land on the Mississippi??

GoggleEye

I posted this on the "hunting" forum, so I thought I would post it here too..... I am looking for some bowhunting land as I am new to the metro area and I am wondering if any of the land along the Mississippi river is open to public hunting? I was out yesterday looking around south of the 494 bridge (about 1.5 to 2 miles down) and saw a lot of nice river bottoms and huntable islands, but I have no clue if hunting is permitted in any of these areas. A lot of the land south of the power plant looks like very good deer habitat too. I motored back into a backwater area and did see three does feeding along the water. I didn't see a single piece of land posted either along the river except one state property that was posted as a state natural area which is closed to hunting. Other than that, I couldn't tell what was state or federally owned and open to bowhunting. Can anyone help me out? You can email me if you prefer, my address is [email protected] I am always looking for hunting partners also, so if anyone is interested in checking out some land along the river with me, let me know. I live in west st paul so this area is very close by and works out well for me as I have a little boat that runs pretty shallow to get me into these river bottom areas. Should I look elsewhere.....something better in the area?? I'm getting to the point where I may just hang up the bow until I can afford to buy my own land, which may be never. I am just sick of hunting public land with all the (Contact Us Please) you run into, not to mention I am just looking to shoot a mature buck...which seems impossible on public! Thanks for any help.

GoggleEye

I don't know if that particular land is available but there is land on the river that is public (some only accessible by boat). Send me a note at [email protected] - I am interested in hunting the bottoms but do not have a small boat to use. I live in Eagan.

I was thinking deer more than anything - birds would be good too since I have a dog that loves to ride, boat and hunt.

tealitup, I am looking to hunt deer strictly. I haven't done any duck hunting in the past and I don't think there would be any way to fit it in my fall schedule....I can't even juggle fall fishing, hunting deer, and work at the same time. If you do want to do some deer hunting though, let me know.

Icefritz, I sent you an email.

GoggleEye