• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Caribou Trail Lakes

Hey All,

I've been following many of the posts on here for a while now but I haven't seen much mention of any lakes along the Caribou Trail out of Lutsen. I've fished them several times over the last 4-5 years or so but only have come out of them with a few pike (a couple decent sized ones) and a crappie that was worth eating. Nothing else but perch. Any tips or lakes that are better than others for Walleyes? I've fished Caribou several times and came away with a nice pike along the pennisula (island?) where there is a big drop-off (can't describe it better than that other than by saying there are pine trees there - hahahah).

Any help at all? I'm tired of getting skunked! I've tried shore fishing, tried a canoe and there's a small boat/5hp motor available at a buddy's cabin up there that I've trolled around Caribou and Barker with.

Sorry forgot to add that I am usually only around that area during mid-late Sept through Early Oct when the rest of the guys are grousin' I'm trying to get a fish or two.

Caribou is full of smallies and little walleyes. A few nice pike also. I don't know how active they are that time of year, but you should still be able to get a few. Leeches might be tough to come by in october, but you should still be able to get nightcrawlers. Slip bobbers or lindy rigs should get a few. Traditional pike gear will get you a few of those. I prefer chartreuse daredevils or silver krocodiles. You might be better off fishing some of the trout lakes up there that time of year, most of them are accessible from shore and provide pretty good action.

Thanks - I've been kickin' around the idea of trying for trout or even trying (again) for some salmon in the rivers. Nothing beats walleye though in my book... I'm gonna find them somewhere! cool.gif If not, I'm gonna have fun trying.

Good tip on the minnows. I've had luck buying them in Two Harbors on the way up (from the Twin Cities) but not so much around that area. Are there any decent bait shops in the area or is the closest place in Grand Marais (Beaver Hut - if I remember correctly)?

Is there any good reason not to try Crankbaits? I have tons of them - deep and shallow runners in most of the "normal" colors - silver, gold, chart, perch firetiger etc.

There's not much in the way of minnow choices in Grand Marais. I get mine from a wholesaler from out of the area. Crankbaits might work well in shallow water after dark.

Als bait in Two Harbors. Have them put in an oxygen bag and put the bag in a cooler with ice.. They will easily keep til you get to the lake. Ive kept fatheads,chubs, 2 days this way. The gas station,hardware store, on the east side of 61 in Grand Marais, usually has bait, problem is not always the bigger suckers, 4 -5 inch they carry.Definately use a bigger minnow, as gunflint suggested, if you can get them.Gunflint, if you read this, what type of minnow are you ordering from the dealer you use? Thanks

Well, the week has finally arrived! I'm headed up this week and will be trying my hardest to find something to put in the frying pan. Wish me luck! Any last-minute tips or ideas?

Thanks for all your help so far.

Minnows were definitely the ticket. Found a bunch of really small walleyes (8-13") in 10 fow right at sunset at a couple of small (I don't think the lakes are named) lakes up there. We had to take what could only be described as a moose trail into one of them. It was fun though! Not much for the frying pan, but still fun!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

mnclayshooter, thanks for sharing.

I like those small out of the way eye lakes once in a while too.