• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

knife sharpner

bigshooter23

Looking at getting a knife sharpner. been trying the cheap ones out and finding out a reason why they are cheap. any ideas and or recommendations?

Google Razors Edge and you will get there website. It is a clamp that holds your knife at the proper angle while you run it accross the stone.It will give you a nice edge every time that will work for filleting or cutting up meat.I also have a Lansky but I think the RE is a faster option.I also have a paper wheel system but that is when you want things super sharp or if you have a serrated edge that is dull.

i would do a search and do some looking! i have a clamp type tht was made by buck that works well with a wet stone, but have gotten where i use a diamond stick.( these do take some time to master) a buddy ( that does alot of trapping and hunting) bought a sharpener last year that has two diamond bars, mounted at the proper angle, plus they are spring loaded! you just run your knife through them and they will put a good edge on.( but i have no idea who made it!)it is hard to beat a good wet stone with some type of clamp guide.

Another vote for Lansky. Time consuming if your knife is in rough shape, but excellent if you already have a good edge. The Gatco system is simialr and also looks very good.

I also vote for razor edge systems, I can get my knives scary sharp. Sometimes though its not the system its the blade, I have 2 culinary knives one I can get to scalpel sharp and the other can't get it passed butter knife. I like sharpening knives with D2 Tool steel, it holds an edge well and easy to get back, I heard one piece of wisdom that is fool proof. If you want to get your blades sharp, never let them get dull. tongue.gif

I vote for the electronic Chef's Choice 3 stage sharpener from Cabelas. If you have the time and patience and can get the right angle, the manual systems are good but with my Chef's Choice I can do all my kitchen knives, my fillet knives, and my hunting knife in 10 minutes. I used to have the dullest knives around, they were dangerous, now I can grab anyone of them and slice a tomato. Get the three stage. Most times I only use the medium and fine, but if you have a real dull knife you can run it thru all three stages.

Get the Chef's Choice, you won't regret it.