• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Appeldoorn's 1st Annual Fall Frenzy

Paul Waldowski

I just checked, I do have braided line on a medium solid (one) TriForce rod with a 2000 Shimano reel. I figure it is 20 or 30# test. I might give this the go round with a 3/0 to 4/0 circle hook! or one might try a shad rap/crank!

Just might!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rodmaker

• Paul Waldowski

• Shack

• Borch

Use something like power pro equivalent to 10 lb mono. I would use a rod 7-7 1/2 ft. Med to med light. I customized a G Loomis IMX rod to 7'10". G Loomis has a couple of rods designed for trolling cranks for Walleyes.

I can do a check and see which one I tied up last Winter for this application.

I have not used this rod yet, but Thorne Bros. hasn't gone wrong yet with me tying up rods for specific applications for Eyes. I have tied up over 40 rods for myself and for other people for gifts.

Let me know if you want me to check on this for you,

See you this weekend.

Boy, I think we get into this fishing thing to much grin.gif

My grandfather used to pull in a ton of eyes with a 5' Zebco rod, medium action and a 202 reel! My grandfather and I lived by this rod threw out the eighties, with god only knows what test mono line!

This is what I think about when I go to Mille Lacs. Just have fun and if possibly catch fish and remember the good old days!

Quote:

I'll be teaming up with Hanson to show everyone how the Cat guys roll

You two are aware that there are no cats in ML, correct? grin.gif I'm worried that you guys will be out of your element!

Thanks to all for the input, I think I'm all set. We should be good to go with what I have. I think the Mrs would string me up if I came home with more rods...... FYI...She's looking forward to showing up a few of you with her custom pink wrapped muskie rod! Game on!

Chris

Quote:

You two are aware that there are no cats in ML, correct?
grin.gif
I'm worried that you guys will be out of your element!

Chris

I guess you didn't see the one I caught through the ice up there huh grin.gif

You can sure tell that the fishing is about to pick up!!!!

Especially by the posts the last day or so. I think for our family (4) we only have 12 rods and reels.

Look forward to meeting everyone this weekend.

Eyes watch out!!!! grin.gif

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Well I've been busy going though my stickbait box. Tonight I ended up painting up a few which haven't been productive colors. They aren't pretty but if the walleyes like them they'll be pretty to me. wink.gif Tommorrow I'll tackle my short bait box and put some fresh line of my trolling rods.

Sounds like the water temps are slowly getting there.

Quote:

I guess you didn't see the one I caught through the ice up there huh

Yeah, I actually did! I think you could catch fish out of a bucket! That's why I'm looking forward to this weekend, lots of very, very talented sticks with all kinds of different approaches.

Borch..... I might want to swap a few Rice/Koronis tips with you!

Can't wait.....Chris

Quote:

You two are aware that there are no cats in ML, correct?
grin.gif
I'm worried that you guys will be out of your element!

Yes... got that part down! grin.gif

But I wasn't aware these critters were in the river either.

Why don't they stick their fins up when you want them too??? Cats are so good about posing for photos but walleyes on the other hand... Geeez... grin.gif

050607hanson27inchwalleer3.jpg

Care to share the colors, and what kind of paints do you use.

I'll probably head to Thorne Bros. Wed and pick up a few more baits. Still haven't had a chance to go through the tackle box. Been busy cutting down trees for a neighbor the last week.

Quote:

Nice Eye!!!!! How big??

That was 28" from the Minnesota River near Mankato earlier this summer, hope to find some more like that this weekend. smile.gif

It ate a 7 1/2" live bullhead on a 10/0 hook.

ME and Paulie are going to put on a show.. There will be so many huge waldows in our boat we may not keep er afloat.. Hey Pauls last name isn't WALDOwski for nuttin!

Gonna be a great trip! cant wait!

Quote:

Care to share the colors, and what kind of paints do you use.

I'll probably head to Thorne Bros. Wed and pick up a few more baits. Still haven't had a chance to go through the tackle box. Been busy cutting down trees for a neighbor the last week.

I've been using enamal automotive paints with a clear coat over the top. The ones I did last night were silver/black and another pearl white. The white one turned out pretty nice. The silver one had a poor tape job but should still work fine. For years I just gave my less productive color patterns away. I'm just getting started painting them myself. Although I've had other guys paint me up a few in custom colors in the past.

Quote:

Hey Pauls last name isn't WALDOwski for nuttin!

And the smack talkin begins!!! grin.gif

I would like to see these this weekend if you don't mind. Depending on the weather Fri or Sat eve. I may need someone to go out with. I'm sure my wife won't go out after dark. Do you have an opening in your boat. It would be great to learn from one of the "better guys" on this presentation.

Sounds like the "smack" is already starting grin.gif

If you'd like to team up I can fit you in. wink.gif

How many would be in your boat?? I don't want to overcrowd you. But if there is room and you don't mind it would be awesome.

Not to put any "fun pressure" on you, but I need a 29-or 30" so I can get a replica made grin.gif

When are you coming up???

Quote:

How many would be in your boat?? I don't want to overcrowd you. But if there is room and you don't mind it would be awesome.

Not to put any "fun pressure" on you, but I need a 29-or 30" so I can get a replica made
grin.gif

When are you coming up???

No problem. Just one 30 incher? That'll be way too easy. wink.gif

I'll be up Friday after work.

Sounds good to me. One 30" 'er on the way. I'll make room on the wall now then! grin.gif

We're heading up Fri am. See you Fri. And I'll plan on fishing with you for an eve. Are you going out Fri & Sat eve??

If you put me on one that big, you will be rewarded!!!!

I'm heading up that way friday am also. I haven't fished the big pond since I came home on leave after boot camp. (1985) I'd like to get out there during the day and get into some of these perch and crappies I've heard about.

Or a 30"-er would be OK, I spose. grin.gif

Cool. I'll be leaving from either Bethel or Cambridge, depending on which siblings house I spend Thursday night at. I think I'll be wheeling in right around the same time as you!!

We can team up on em!!!!!

Sound good. We'll (wife also) be driving a 2004 Avalanche and a Alumacraft 185 Compeditor.

After we get checked in and weather / wind permitting I would guess we'll head out also.

Maroon 89 chev pickup with FM and Ice leaders decals on the back windshield. Older 16' Starcraft with 70 johnson.

I'll keep my eyes open for ya!!

Borch,

Do you need a Steak for the grill Sat??? If so let me know, your'e covered. Need to take care of "the Guide" who is going to put me on nothing but 27" - 30" Eyes grin.gif

What is everyone planning to do for Saturday morning? I would assume a popular response is going to be Isle Bay for perch and craps, but how many are going to go for Muskies and how many will try the day walleye bite? My buddy and I are probably going to try perch and craps on Friday during the day and hopefully have enough to go for Skis on Saturday.

We plan on fishing Perch/Crappie Fri. Maybe a little more Sat. am. depending on how many we catch Fri. Then we'll try our luck on Eyes during the day Sat. Maybe giving Fischer's a try.

Perch Friday afternoon and Sat. Probably get some daytime eyes while doing it. Night is for trolling.