• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

WHAT BROADHEADS- last minute question

USPENAMC

i will going out today to buy some broadheads and do some last minute tunning with them. everything is shooting right on now its time to see if my broadheads will be dead on too.

i was wondering on your opinions of which ones to go for.

i was actually looking into getting something with FIXED BLADES as a rookie i dont want to mess anything up at least right now. But if i find people responding positively to any certain blade i might have to take a look im looking at 100 grain since thats the weight ive been using for my field points.

i heard good things about the GRIMREAPERS although they are mechanical im looking into them

I shoot thunderhead 100s. Been shooting them for 15 years. Leave a nice blood trail. Muzzys are good too.

Whatever you go with, keep them sharp.

Good luck to you.

I would make sure you purchase the same grain broadhead as your field points. I have shot Muzzy's for years, like 10-12. Thats the 3 blade ones not the 4. I have heard of many troubles for some with the 4 blade as far as accuracy.

If your looking for mechinal ones, many have told me they like the new Rage.

I like slick tricks, if your bow is tuned right it should fly exactly like your field points, I know mine does.

Both Muzzy and Thunderhead have had 3-blade products on the market for a long time. They have changed their design very little, which should tell you something about their quality.

You've opened up the floodgates on this topic, everyone will have their own opinion. However, like it's been said, Muzzy's and Thunderheads are tried and true. There are a lot of gimics out there so watch out for that. However as far as more recent additions ot the broadhead market, Montecs by G5 are awesome, I started using them a couple years ago and they fly great and are nasty. Best part is that they are a once piece construction so they are solid and cut on contact.

I gotta say (and I know this will start an argument) this late in the season if you haven't shot broadheads yet you should go with expandables. There is no guarantee that a fixed blade head will fly the same as your field tips. Expandables of the same weight SHOULD fly the same so you won't have to change your sights.

If you don't plan on hunting this weekend you may still have time to play with broadheads. I agree with the Muzzy, Thunderheads for fixed blade. Grim Reaper, Steelhead for expandables.

Good Luck!

I would say that for the beginner a good cut on contact head should be the first choice. Yes you should have been using broadheads already, but if you get a couple and try them out today you should be fine.

3-blade Muzzy, Slick Trick and Thunderheads are all good heads. I started 2 years ago ans have used the Magnus Stinger 4-blade and the G5 strikers. The Stingers worked great and I killed a buck with those. I really like the G5 though. Its my new head and I can't wait to take one with those. They are wicked sharp and fly fantastic.

Go to the store and buy 2 or 3 sets of broadheads. Try them out shooting a couple groups with each. Find the ones you like best with your setup and call it good. You can keep the other ones or return them. Go home and practice a bit more just to be sure.

If they fly the same then it doesn't matter how many shots you take with broadheads. The important thing is you know that if you shooot FT's or BH's that they hit the same. That confidence transfers into the field.

I would check out Slick Tricks. They are a 4 bladed fixed blade broadhead that fly exactly like a field point. I've been using them for a coulpe years now and they leave a very good blood trail and the deer and bear that we have shot don't go far. Whatever broadhead you choose makesure it's a newer short "compact" style of broadhead. The older style of broadheads with the long cutting edges, are like adding a big set of wings to the front of your arrow and can sometimes throw off your accuracy .

i looked at the box that was sold to me with accessories for the bow and i found two packages or 3 mechanichal broadheads the name of them are EASTMAN OUTDOORS STS-3 TITANIUM they are mechanical blades and are brand new. I tried one several times and it hit right on the money what do you all think. I think one will kill as good as the next as long as a shot is right on the vitals.

I know this is a little late but I shoot Montec G-5's. I haven't shot a deer with them yet but they fly great! I went out today and was shooting tighter groups with my broadheads then I have been with my field points.

the eastmans did the job went through the left side heart and lungs and came out the right shoulder blade one blade broke off. i think i hit the spinal column too

Well, congrats on that first deer! You are right, most any broadhead placed in the vitals will do the job. Way to go!

Another thing about muzzy or thunderhead...you can get them almost anywhere. Let's say I forget my Plano box with all my arrow tips, tools, allen wrenches, etc when I traveled somewhere on a hunting trip. I could go to a walmart, hardware store, sporting goods store and be relatively assured they would have some muzzys or thunderheads and my hunt could go on.