• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Goose Beard- more pics and story.

HunterLee

This is the full story from Matt:

Story:

This canadian goose was shot about 9 miles northeast of Ada, MN on 09/13/07 during a morning hunt in the Olson-Agassiz Wildlife Managment Area. I was hunting with my co-worker Chris Lee and his Lab Zoey. The lone goose came into the decoys, and as soon as I shot it, I could tell there was something different with this bird. As the dog was making the retreive, my first thoughts was that I had just harvested a goose with a neckband. Those thoughts quickly changed when the bird came into the canoe.

We joked that the goose had a thyriod problem, but after examining the defect, we found it was just a thin cord hanging from the chin, with black feathers that resembled another neck and white chest of another body. If you grab it it just feels like a soft ball of feathers, there is no growth or tumor inside. The odd appendage measures about 6 inches in length.

Still pretty new to the waterfowl scene, I have only been hunting ducks and geese for about 5 years now, and I have never seen nor heard of anything being shot like this. My friends and I have named this the Bearded Goose

Garret Johnson of Get-R-Done Taxidermy in St. Hilaire will be mounting the Goose

th_Grouse_035.jpg

th_Grouse_019.jpg

th_Grouse_020.jpg

th_Grouse_032.jpg

th_Grouse_037.jpg

Looks like it is just a birth defect.

Is that a cackler??? sure looks like one.

I would have taken it to a taxidery guy to see if it could have been mounted.

Most birds are not mountable in the ealry season.

Very cool; must have grown up near a nuclear plant or close to 3M's water source smile.gif

Very nice post. Thanks and good luck

No kidding if we are lucky mabe we will get a bearded dove or grouse. Hope you are smacking them tonight later.

What did the opposite side cheek look like? If that thing got sheared along side the head and the flap maintained blood flow, maybe, and the cheek grew back?

Just throwing in an alternative to the Timothy Leary theory cool.gif

Quote:

What did the opposite side cheek look like? If that thing got sheared along side the head and the flap maintained blood flow, maybe, and the cheek grew back?

Just throwing in an alternative to the Timothy Leary theory
cool.gif

I wish I would have taken a photo showing the other side, the "beard" so to speak, hangs off the right side of the chin a little more. The rest of the head appeared to be normal. But it hardly feels like a flap, it is more like a cord under all those feathers.