• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Oil leaking from motor

Milkdud

Question

I went into the garage last night and noticed a small pool of oil leaking down from the skeg of my 90hp Johnson. It looked as if the oil was coming out of the prop. Any suggestions what might be the cause of this?

Thanks

10 answers to this question

Yep, take the prop off and clean the fishing line off the shaft and then take in for a new seal. Do not wait as you will freeze up the whole lower unit and cost you $3000.

If you are mechanically inclined you can do this yourself fairly easily. I did mine not to long ago. I built a simple puller to get the bearing housing out of the lower unit.

If you are not good with a wrench take it in. Chris is correct, it will leak out and ruin the entire lower unit.

Thanks guys...Is there any chance it could just be exhaust oil since I do leave it trimmed down when I store it. The oil is very black so it is not clean oil that is coming out?

were you trolling with the motor the last time it was out?

Sometimes if you are trolling with the motor and don't have to far to go to the landing the oil doesn't get burned up. If it's coming from the inside of the prop(exhaust port)you are ok.

There is a very good chance its just residue from the exhaust dripping out.

If it was lower unit lube, it would be a milky white/green color.

If you're not sure, just take out the lower unit drain plug and let a little bit of the gear oil out. Then see if it smells the same and has the same color/consistency as the oil on your floor. I bet it is just exhaust gunk though.

Thnaks guys for all of your comments. Yes I was out trolling (downriggin) the last time I used it, and I was on a lake with a 10mph speed limit so I am hopeing I just didn't get some of the gunk burned off. I will keep an eye on it. Once again thanks for all of your suggestions!