• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Want some opinions

xedge2002

Hey guys and gals take a look at this buck and let me know what you think. If you had a shot at him this year either archery, firearm or muzzleloader would you take him out? I know that culling bucks has been talked about before, but do you think his rack on the one side will grow normal in the years to come and that he may just become a nontypical?

MDGC0075.jpg

MDGC0052.jpg

MDGC0054.jpg

I probably would not take him. Could be as simple as that side sustaining an injury during the early antler development stages, could be back to normal next season. But it could be a natural deformation as well I suppose. I'd let him go. Neighbors would probably shoot him anyway...

last year we had a deer aroud just like that one only ours was 4 on one side, we let him walk and have not seen that type of rack on our cameras this year so I would let him walk.

I'd let him go - if he stays the same but gets bigger cool. I've heard injury related antler growth stays with them for life. If so big deal, isn't genetic related. Then again if you want a unique rack on the wall....

Give him another year or two. It may have just been something that happened early in antler growth, as has been said previously. That, and even if it turns out to be a permanent thing, he'll be bigger next year. He's obviously still pretty young, so I'd give him at least one more year before taking him.

Let him go. Does it look like he has a bum left front shoulder? It looks like there is no muscle at all. Maybe he is just really young.

being that its my first year bow hunting here is my response

bow===take him

firearms/ let him go another year

Let him go, I took one last year with 14 pts, nine on one side five on the other, dont know if he was always like that or not. He had a club foot so who knows. He looks a little goofy but hey he looks great on the wall. cool.gif

I agree, probably just a yearling. Looks to me like his antler was broken during early development. He'll be much nicer next year.

I can GUARANTEE you one thing, if you kill him you will never know what he could become! He'll probably be about a 280" NT in 3 years grin.gif

The only way I'd shoot that deer is if it's late season & I haven't shot a deer yet. If you haven't shot many deer yet, never gotten a buck with your bow, or you just want to, go ahead & shoot him, but like a lot of guys said I don't think he's a cull buck at this point. Body wise he looks like a pretty small yearling buck to me.

I agree with TrophyEyes... he looks a little gimpy, like he got clipped by a car which could have messed up his shoulder and antler.

Take him if this is the case... leave him if he walks okay.

Well if I see him I think I am going to let him go and see what he looks like next year. I agree that his left front shoulder looks a little funny. There are a few other bucks in that area that are a lot bigger than he is. I had one on my camera last year that looked really nice and I haven't seen him yet this year. I think he is still around because I haven't heard of anybody getting a big buck in the area last year.