• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Aggressive female dog

MILLER TIME

Well to start off my brother has a 3 1/2 yr. old female lab and she's pretty aggressive. When he brings her over to play with my 14mth old male lab she will play with him and kinda lovingly cuddle with him and then all of a sudden she just snaps at him. I've noticed that lately my dog is getting the hint and is standoffish when she acts this way. Within an hour of playing this situation happens at least 4-5 times with both of us yelling "NO" to stop it. I guess what I'm getting at is this, is the temperment of the female fixable, will my dog start picking up her bad habits, which I'm very concerned about! Any opinions would be appreciated.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

If the dog were aggressive it fight right away.

Your young dog needs to learn when to quit. At 3 1/2 years old a dog only wants that play for so long till it gets old. He could also be getting frisky. Her snapping is telling him shes had enough. Still I'd correct her instantly and tell her NO. He can only learn how to act with other dogs by being with other dogs. I bet this will disappear once your dog settles down a bit with maturity.

Don't sweat it-normal stuff. One dog is simply telling the other dog "chill...thats enough!" Trust me, it will NOT have any long lasting impact on your dog. If they were going to fight, they'd do it and get over it. Think back, haven't you ever seen those "mob hunt" scenarios, where 17-guys hike the corn stubble with 11- assorted dogs? The dogs get over their nastiness right away and then get on with the hunting. Yell "NO!" at them if it makes you feel better, but THEY will sort it out on their own.

You're welcome. wink.gif

I wouldn't worry about it. It sounds like dogs being dogs and the whole natural pecking order thing. I have a lab and my neighbor's do as well. The neighbor's dog plays with mine and will then snap as if to say "I own you." And then they play again. I would guess she is just asserting her dominance. I have seen no change in behavior from my lab.

If its just a snap or two and its over thats normal. If it escalates keep an eye on it!! Just one letting the other know its time to back off a bit.

If her ears go back and her tail down she's REALLY mad.

Otherwise she's establishing herself as the Alpha dog.

If her tail is wagging when she's reprimanding the little one, don't worry.

Normal dog stuff.

Thanks for the information. I would have thought by now they would be getting along better. It's really wierd though since she will coax him in, lick each other and then bite his head off. she knows its wrong but keeps doing it. Is there a way to teach her from these bad habits

Unless it's turning into an actual harmful situation, I'd stay out of it. Dogs need to have their pack orders. Humans always on the top of course.

Please. Relax. You're obsessing over something that will go away. Listen to what the fellas are telling you. You don't need to "teach her" to not do it. wink.gif