• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ford V-10 owners

CodyDawg

Question

Due to the fact the wife and I are expecting twins.....yikes, still hasnt sunk in, I need a new truck. So crew cab here I come. Anyone have the V-10? Feedback? How about mileage? I have a fairly light foot, what would I get?

The new Ford diesel is a mileage pig and the V-8 doesnt get any better mileage than the V-10 I have heard (in a Super Duty). I wonder if they can put my 7.3L in a new crew cab? (j/k)

Just not a big fan of the Chevy truck, although that would be the only other make I would consider. I have to have a 3/4 ton for the 5th wheel, so half tons are out of the pics. Any good ideas would be welcome.

30 answers to this question

I know of a couple guys who own them and have had very good luck. It is basically is a 5.4l Triton with two more cly...

After you buy it, make sure updated spark plugs are in it (longer shank). The factory short shank plugs had a tendency to blow out. If tune up had been done on time, this is not an issue.

Good, strong motor though!

I have an F250 V10 and am very satisfied. I get 13 mpg at interstate speeds and close to 15 at around 55. It has all the power that I need to pull a 32 foot fifth wheel with an 1800 Fisherman behind it. I can burn a heck of a bunch of gas for the difference in price between it and a diesel. I am looking for one in the 2004 to 2006 year class at this time with a V10.

I agree with what has been posted. Its generally a good motor. There was the issue of the plugs blowing out of the heads, but its been addressed. If you're buying a truck that old (older than '04-05) than it probably needs new plugs if they've never been changed.

MPG will be in the low teens are lower if hauling. Its got plenty of pep. Personally I prefer the diesel for many reasons. There are more ways to compare them than MPG. Maintenance is easier and less frequent with the diesel and the longevity is a big factor. Its up to you. I owned a superduty with the V-8 and with the 7.3L Powerstroke (hence the name). I sold it because of the rising diesel prices. Now I can't wait to get another one. The cost of gas and diesel are so close now and the ownership costs are much cheaper. Since you're buying used there is less of a price premium for the diesel.

I would be looking for a 02-03 7.3 best truck ford made, good power, good milage. Good resale, lasts for along time. The v-10 is ok, but if I had the choice it would be the 02 or 03 7.3.

Actually, I am looking at new. I have the 7.3L Powerstroke now, and I love it. Problem is, the new diesel gets WORSE mileage than the V-10. So throw that argument out the window. I love the diesel and if I could buy another 7.3 I would. I have thought about a new 6.0 diesel too, if you can still get them, but the extra money you pay for them and the higher cost of diesel means it will be a higher cost of ownership. Plus, longevity with the new one is a complete unknown. Thus back to the V-10. i have a fairly light foot, so I am thinking that is the way to go. No good options.

For how hard it is to admit as a Ford guy, if you are looking new I wouldn't overlook the Chevy Duramax/Allison combo since you mentioned it as your far option. I've spent a fair amount of time in one and they are impressive. Mileage is pretty darn good, comfortable, quiet and powerful.

For the V-10, they are a pulling machine and proven reliable. But, they like gas. If fuel costs are that important than you have a lot to think about. grin.gif When pulling a big camper I'd accept the fact that it's going to hit the pocket. But, then again the extra savings buy not spending much more on a diesel truck may wash out?

What kind of mileage did the 7.3 get pulling the camper?

The 6.8 has been a good motor. Gas milage would be a little lower when not pulling, compared to the 5.4, but when pulling something you will get better milage with the 6.8 compared to the 5.4. I know a few people with the 6.4 and they are happy with them. Yes they are a question mark for future problems, but so is anything. As far as milage goes, they camplained of poor milage until they got 15k then it increased to a acceptable level. They like the power and torque of it as well. I would buy a 6.4 before the 6.0. That is just my opinion though. Good luck in whatever you buy, keep us informed on what you get.

ChuckN,

I get 10-12 with the camper (28' Cougar). I had a high of 13 with a slight tail wind and driving 60-65. When I put my full-windshield boat behind it, I drop to 9-10. I love the truck, love the motor, but dog-gone-it those twins are acomin'.

From the guys I know who have the 5.4 in the Super Duty, they are not getting any better than the 6.8 it sounds like. 12-14 in both cases. Anybody know any differently?

I think the later 6.0s are pretty reliable. I have done a lot of research on the 6.4 and sometimes mileage gets a little better and touches that 14 or 15 mark and sometimes it does not. I ain't gonna take that chance for the extra $6K. Like I said, I am not a race car driver, so I am hoping for 13-15 out of the V-10. As someone said, I am doing a lot of thinking.

I hear ya on the need for room. I just jumped into a Crew 7.3 for a growing family.

IMO, the 5.4 in the Super Duty is underpowered for hauling anything. I did drive a 5.4 Super Duty Crew to Montana once and 15mpg at 75-80mph impressed me. From what I understand by guys that own both engines in SD models 12-14 is average for the 6.8 and the 5.4. Towing that camper might be around the same as your diesel.

Since Valv hasn't jumped in yet I will offer that you should definately check out the new line of Dodge Heavy Duty's. I don't think Dodge offers the V-10 anymore, but the 345hp hemi is pretty decent. It doens't have the torque of the v-10, but it does have the hemi fuel management system and you will get better MPG for the 80+% of the time when you're not towing anything.

I am in much the same boat as you and plan on buying a 3/4 ton crewcab in the near future and right now I'm looking at dodge's despite being a huge Ford guy. The superduty has taken a downturn in the last couple years and I think Dodge is only getting better.

In comparing costs, the V-10 will get poorer fuel mileage than a diesel. Diesel costs are only 10-15 cents more per gallon which is 3-5% more than unleaded, but the MPG improvement is more than that. The maintenance issues are far less with the diesel, so the real kicker is the premium you pay upfront. I guess for me I would consider what you really want and not what you think you can get away with. You plan on buying new so you're talking about the difference between $45,000 and $50,000. Depending on the interest rate and the help from trade in that would be a difference in $100 a month. Its hard for me to say so, but at the price I would make sure I'm getting what I want. You obviously plan to keep this for a while so I would get what you want and not ponder whether you will be happy with the v-10.

$100 a month is a lot, but is it worth it to get what you want? I did some rough math and came up with this. If you get unleaded at $2.87 a gallon (I filled up today) and you get 13mpg. That equals a price of $0.22 a mile per gallon of gas. If you buy diesel at $3.09 but get 18mpg then its $0.17 a mile. A savings of .05 a mile. If you drive 20,000 miles a year then you save $1000 a year. Thats the difference in 10 month payments for the diesel.

Obviously its gonna fluctuate and the number will change some, but diesel hasn't gone much higher and isn't as affected by seasonal changes. Of course it won't seem that easy when you're sending the payment, but at the end of the year if you track your spending it really does add up.

Oh and 18mpg is conservative on the cummings. Many will get 20-22mpg during the summer unloaded. Towing rarely drops below 16mpg.

I guess I'm not trying to hijack the thread. You made reference to the diesel but that you're worried about the price. I would say for more info you could check out Ford Truck World if you haven't already. Do a search.

I just think if you're not quite convinced on the V-10 and you're thinking "well I have a light foot" then maybe you're a little skeptical. I just think when you spend that much on something you'll keep for a while, you should be completely satisfied with your purchase and not need to be assured that the motor you get will be enough.

I'm in my 4th year with a vehicle I don't like because I traded my crewcab 7.3L powerstroke down to an SUV with a v-6 cause I was worried about MPG. Now I have something that seats fewer, gets worse mileage and can't tow as much cause I was worried about MPG. Its kinda my way of saying, don't make the same mistake by settling.

Powerstroke is not the only one to go the way of the Dodge (new). I would only buy a new Dodge truck Diesel! Now 2003 or older, it would be Ford! Just my thought's!!!

Well, I can't do the Dodge thing. Also, the new emmission standards have given them a hit on mileage as well. They have taken a step backwards on mileage.

I have to refute the thought that it costs less to own a diesel. I do not expect to have any motor issues inside 150K for either motor. And diesels and gas all have starters and alternators, etc, so to me that is a wash. The thought that you get more for a diesel when you sell it is really the opposite. I paid $4200 for my diesel in 02. It is now worth $1200. I lost $3K. The V-10 over that time? $400 to $200. Huge advantage to the gas. Dont forget guys, I love my diesel. In today's market, with higher up front costs, higher per gallon costs, more depreciation, and pretty much the same in fuel mileage, it costs a LOT more to own a diesel. Dang it anyway, I like them. $45K to $50K? Man, I just looked up invoice cost through Edmunds on a new truck (no one should pay more than invoice) and on a 07 Crew Cab F250 4X4 Lariat V-10 with a few extras, it came to around $33K after incentives. Compare that to a 08 diesel? Yikes, big difference. I do not know if you can still get 07s though, that may be the fly in the ointment.

Quote:

ChuckN,

I get 10-12 with the camper (28' Cougar). I had a high of 13 with a slight tail wind and driving 60-65. When I put my full-windshield boat behind it, I drop to 9-10. I love the truck, love the motor, but dog-gone-it those twins are acomin'.

From the guys I know who have the 5.4 in the Super Duty, they are not getting any better than the 6.8 it sounds like. 12-14 in both cases. Anybody know any differently?

I think the later 6.0s are pretty reliable. I have done a lot of research on the 6.4 and sometimes mileage gets a little better and touches that 14 or 15 mark and sometimes it does not. I ain't gonna take that chance for the extra $6K. Like I said, I am not a race car driver, so I am hoping for 13-15 out of the V-10. As someone said, I am doing a lot of thinking.

This post made me curious so I called our local Ford dealership and talked to the service manager and he has been there for twelve years and is a knowledgable person. He said he has never heard of a 6.8 V10 blowing spark plugs out of the heads. He said that the only way he could even imagine this happening is if they weren't torqued to the right specs when replaced. He doesn't even recommend replacing mine until 100,000 miles. The 5.4 is a different animal and he recommends changing plugs at 60,000 miles to prevent any problems. My V10 has had nothing done except fluid changes and regular maintenance. One thing that I do and it my personal preference is that I change oil at 2,000 mile intervals. I don't think that it is necessary, but an oil change is just cheap insurance. I also use Motorcraft synthetic blend which Ford claims to be the best oil to use in this engine. I don't belieeve you will be unhappy with a 6.8 V10. Mine is a 1999 and the newer ones seem to get better fuel economy and have more power due to a different head design.

I just talked to my Ford dealer too and he had nothing but good things to say about the diesel. As he is the only Ford guy I trust, that has got me thinking again. He also gave me some trade in values that had me second guessing the V-10. Back to the drawing board. confused.gif

I will have to strongly disagree with your service manager that you talked with. I have been in the service dept of a ford dealership for over 18 years, I can tell you we did plenty 6.8L spark plug blow outs, I know we did alot more 5.4s but there is alot more 5.4s out there then there is the 6.8. Im not calling him a liar, but he just may not seen it himself, of he doesnt want to tell you anything bad!

Dude, do a Google or Yahoo search of "Ford V10 Spark Plugs".

It was very common! I have worked at Ford dealerships for over 11 years, and I have seen several V-10's with blown spark plugs. I have seen more 5.4L though, but V-10's will do it. Not trying to stir up anything here, but this was a major issue with the Triton V8 and V10. Just check for and make sure they are in or put in longer shank updated spark plug and your fine. Easy! Its a great eng. beyond that.

It was common practice at first to not alarm customers of major concerns like this one (do not make your product look bad), but as this thing became very big, there was no denying it to customer.

May be he runs a small dealership service department and does not see that many V10's, who knows. I would link you to a couple of spark plug forums, but it would be against forum policy.

Good luck!

I would recomend a 6.4, they had a few issues at first, but them were quick and easy fixes. The people I know with them love them. Like the power, torque, milage they said was around the 9-12 until they hit 15k, then it got better. Trade in on the diesel is a lot better then you think. Look back now see how much a 5 yr old gas is worth then look at a 5yr old diesel, big difference! If you do go with the 6.8 dont worry about the plugs, that was fixed in 01! Good luck, I wish I could buy one now, but time isnt right for me. confused.gif

CodyDawg,

That is like asking a crack deal if crack is healthy or not! What is he going to say. grin.gif

Sorry about that, I had to poke at that one!

Like others have stated, the diesel is the way to go (IMO).

But! The V-10 is a sturdy way to go also, its just I love the diesels (Except 03-05 6.0L Fords, they had some issues).

I would stay with in your budget and means. Either choice, you shouldn’t go wrong!

Make sure you keep up on your JAFO's and all should be cool!

Good luck!

I thought about going with a diesel myself and changed my mind because it would be my daily driver also. I live in a town of less than 30,000 people and wouldn't drive it very far before it got shut off again. I think this would be hard on a diesel in winter and from talkiing to people at the dealerships I have heard that they don't want you to let the new ones sit and idle like you could the old ones. I was looking at new diesel trucks this fall and when Dodge came out with the lifetime powertrain warranty it almost swayed me. I don't think I'm quite ready for a diesel at this time and my wife absolutely hates the sound of one. I do talk to people that have them and they tell me that they don't treat them any different than they do gas engines. I'm retired and if I could talk my wife into quitting her job and doing some traveling with our fifth wheel I would jump on a diesel.

I'll tell the service manager to do a google search. I have had good luck with my 6.8 so far and I hope it continues. I have had a spark plug blow out of a Ford 300 six cylinder though.

I own a 5.4L and love it! Just make sure factory plugs were updated in eng.'s from late Ninties to early 2000's. Beyond that (minus a little cold start piston slap) it is a great eng...

Well, I drove a V-10 and a diesel on Friday (stopped by the local metro dealer...man, it really reinforces how much I like my small town dealer). the V-10 is a gas hog and I was dissapointed in the power. The diesel is much better on the fuel than I thought. In my limited tests however, it fared pretty much the same as my 7.3L. Since I cant get an 07 and the twins arent expected until late March, I am gonna be patient for awhile and just keep researching. thanks for all the advice.

Oh, 2 questions came up at the dealer. One, Ford recommends only up to B-5 for biodiesel. I know that many stations are running much more than that on occasion. So what happens if you go over b-5? Void the warranty? Or you get lower mileage? Or what? Secondly, they have a fuel COOLER on them....it is a radiator. So at -20 and driving 70 mph, how do they handle the gelling issue? the uh...less than knowledgeable metro area salesman hadnt a clue.

Standard diesel fuel in Minnesota is a B2 blend. If you have a warranty, run what will keep you out of trouble. Any blends greater that B2 should be clearly labeled. I have run B20, B50, B99 and B100 in my 01 Cummins with no ill effects.

As far as gelling goes, standard B2 blends are usually winterized, so that should not be an issue. Winter blended fuels has less BTU per gallon, so you will see less milage once they switch over in the fall. I see about .5 to .75 MPG less on winter fuel.

I dont believe there is such a thing as 'standard' fuel in MN. Most common is B-2, but many stations run other mixes depending on cost. Right now, B-2 is cheaper than B-5, so stations have B-2, but that can change. My question is, what happens when you run B-10? Are you automatically ejected? The tailgate falls off? A big clown sign appears on your doors?

I suppose it is going to depend upon the particular engine application. I can only speak for a Cummins 24 valve motor with the Bosch VP44 injection pump.

With B20, my engine is noticebly quieter. There is also a slight smell of something cooking, ie a turkey fryer heating up. This smell gets stronger with larger blends of bio diesel. There was less smoke than petro diesel, especially when the turbo was pushing good boost on acceleration.

Besides the gelling potential as it get colder out with biofuels, there is one other potential trouble area.

Biodiesel is an excellent solvent, so you could have fuel filter and/or injector plugging issues as the bio dissolves the petro gunk in the tank and guel lines. I did not have any trouble with this, but I did change out my fuel filter as a precaution after the first couple tanks of B20 that I ran.