• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Goose tails

outdoor ran

Just wanted to share a couple of goose hunting stories from this weekend to pass the time.

Sat. Afternoon I took my dad and 5yr son old to the blind. My son is dressed in camo, got his goose call and toy gun. We saw alot of geese but just could'nt get them to gun range. As hours were nearing the end 2 flocks entered the area and I called and worked them. They joined forces and locked their wings and were gliding right in. Dad and I looked at each other and knew it was to late. When the geese touched down in the dekes it was 3 min. past legal shooting hours. My son starts to yell "shoot them, shoot them dad!" I told him we could'nt we were out of time. With almost a tear in his eye he says "you never told me there was a time limit" We all just looked at each other and laughed while we watched all these geese swimming around. What a great afternoon without even firing a shot.

Sun. morning I let the kids sleep in and took the dog. This will be his second season and hes almost 2yrs old. He did good with the ducks last year but didn't want anything to do with the big geese. Things start good and we drop a goose and Gunner is out the blind and on the bird. Problem is this goose has one last fight in him. After about a 5min battle where I wasn't sure who was winning Gunner comes back to the blind. The goose is done but he wants no part of it. Little bit later we drop a double of big ones. Again gunners out the blind and on them. There dead but he won't bring them back. So I give him some time and boom he gets them both and brings them back. I'm very proud of him and I toss the goose that beat him up back out and he goes out comes back without that bird and sits down and gives me the dirtiest look. grin.gif

Well at least you got some success. My dog when she was younger had the same thing happen. I drop a nice goose across the moat and in the tall bog/swamp. She goes after it and I hear the battle begin. She had been through some training and was doing quite well.

This goose was not giving up and I could not even see the battle to be able to help her. It went on with me yelling for her to fetch it. It got quiet and she finally came to the edge of the swamp/water with the goose. Then she dropped it and began trying to pluck it!!! I screamed for her to stop and she just kept going on with her plucking. I nicked her with the collar and commanded her to fetch. She did after a couple of more corrections and then brought it back to me. Not very happy about the situation either.

She got the other goose I killed and brought that one back no problem. So I feel it was a great day. 2 big geese with the one she battled having jewelery, 1 woody drake, 2 mallards- 1 with jewelery too! I was so proud of her.

We went back towards home in the car and I had the birds in the decoy bag with the seat folded down. I had to stop for shells so went in for a very short stop. When I left the car the dog was asleep on the seat. When I came out the dog was up and had a very sorry look on her face. I opened the door and she just sat there. She had gone into the back, opened up the decoy bag, removed the offending goose with a band and had surgically removed every portion of the breast ONLY and ATE it!!!!

I was so ticked but had to know that she got her way in the end. No goose/bird has EVER put up such a battle or even come close to making her so mad again. I guess it was a good learning tool early on in her hunting career.

So the moral of the story is.... The Monster won and the goose lost. Not just its life but the breast too! I at least got the band.

great story outdoor ran I had something very simalar happen with my chessie a few years back I had shot a goose and she was exited to retrive it but I had seen another flock coming into the deeks and I made her stay . I shot one more goose then I let her go then out of the corner of my eye I see a mallard coming in from the left the gesse were on the right so I shot and I here a yipe and I thought that Icouldnt of shot the dog its the other way so I turned and looked and the second goose had the dog by the lip and they were haveing a tug a war. I started laughing cause it was the funniest thing I'd seen then they broke free and I called the dog back then I shot the goose again and told the dog get the first goose and she did the she retrived the mallard then again I sent her for the second goose and she went after it and would only get about 3-4 feet from it and she would just bark at it. That was the only bird that dog would not retrive. I miss that dog. (shes in doggie heaven)

There was a video going around the internet last fall that had a group of guys field hunting geese and they drop one and send a lab out to retrieve it. All of a sudden here comes the little black lab running back with a really upset goose right on her heels. It is one of the best hunting vids I have ever seen. It goes on for a while with them knocking over decoys and stuff. It is funny. Its got to be out there someplace but I haven't been able to find it again.