• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Deer limit question

jigstick44

I have a question that I hope one of you can answer. I have the opportunity to hunt 2 different locations within the same zone yet 1 of them is intensive harvest and the other is a managment area. I am going to hunt both archery and rifle and I just would like some clarification on what my legal bag limit would be between the 2 areas. I emailed the DNR and I was told I could only take 2 deer, yet when I asked about intensive harvest tags, they said I could take 5. I plan on hunting the managment area this weekend, so if I get fortunate and get a deer this weekend can I then go to the other area and hunt for more intensive harvest? But what happens when rifle season comes around? I should only be able to take one out of the managment area right? Just wondering, thanks.

You can take a total of 5, assuming you bought the additional tags. 2 of the deer total can come from the managed area between all the weapons & seasons that you're licensed to hunt in that area. The other 3 deer or all 5 can come from the intensive areas. If the intensive area is also an early doe are, any does taken with the early license in that two-day season, would be in addition to the 5 total.

Thanks alot for clearing up the confusion. I know there is no way I would ever shoot that many, but I was curious as to how that would work. Thanks again!

Maybe it will change this year with having 2 areas to hunt, but I have never seen that many to shoot, or that were worth shooting.

How come they don't put the area where you hunt on your tags? My management tag just says bonus on it. Couldn't someone just say they shot their deer in an intensive havest area upon registering? Dishonest, unethical, imoral, and illegal I know, but way too easy to do.

Bigbucks is right here but just remember only one of the deer can be a buck. I think you knew that but thought I would post it for everyone to see.

96, I wondered about that too. It seems like a 'loophole' that would be easy to exploit if you wanted to lie about what zone you shot it in. Combined with the fact that you don't have to tag the deer at the site makes it ripe for abuse.

Quote:

How come they don't put the area where you hunt on your tags? My management tag just says bonus on it. Couldn't someone just say they shot their deer in an intensive havest area upon registering? Dishonest, unethical, imoral, and illegal I know, but way too easy to do.

Let's not make it harder on law-abiding citizens, because of what law-breakers will do. If tags had areas printed on them, then law-breakers would probably go the extra step and not even tag a deer. That's easy to do also, right?

I hunt in at least 4 different areas during the deer season. Would I then have to purchase 4 different tags, even though I might only tag one deer?

I do agree that it is way to simple for someone to register a deer in a different area then it was shot in. Under the current laws the only way I see of changing this is more CO's afield. We still must have a validated tag on our harvested deer while traveling with it after the hunt. If CO's could pull-over more hunters to check their tags, it would make the law-breakers think about getting caught a little more.

Quote:

Quote:

Let's not make it harder on law-abiding citizens, because of what law-breakers will do. If tags had areas printed on them, then law-breakers would probably go the extra step and not even tag a deer. That's easy to do also, right?

I hunt in at least 4 different areas during the deer season. Would I then have to purchase 4 different tags, even though I might only tag one deer?

I do agree that it is way to simple for someone to register a deer in a different area then it was shot in. Under the current laws the only way I see of changing this is more CO's afield. We still must have a validated tag on our harvested deer while traveling with it after the hunt. If CO's could pull-over more hunters to check their tags, it would make the law-breakers think about getting caught a little more.

I agree 100%. As I was reading this post the same thoughts were going through my mind. I hunt 2 areas consistently, but hunt 2-4 more on an occasional basis. This works for the law abiding people and you aren't going to stop the law breakers without additional enforcement!

Quote:

96, I wondered about that too. It seems like a 'loophole' that would be easy to exploit if you wanted to lie about what zone you shot it in. Combined with the fact that you don't have to tag the deer at the site makes it ripe for abuse.

DNR did away with intensive harvest, archery, firearm, and muzzleloader management tags in 2003. They were consolidated into the bonus permit you see today. Why? It was felt there were too many tags and they were restricted, which was inconsistent with the desire to increase flexibility and opportunity. You no longer have to buy a permit for this area and a permit for that area. You only have to buy one permit and you can use it any area it's valid (managed or intensive). It's also no longer weapon specific. For example, if you have an all-season license, it's valid in any open season.

While some may argue it's a system that allows cheating, others may argue that it saves hunter's some money and provides flexibility. I'm in the latter camp. No matter what the license, law, or regulation some people will find a way to violate. Heck, look at the number of does that are tagged illegally by parents for their kids. However, the vast majority of people play by the rules. If anyone were to attempt to devise a regulation to close every loophole, nobody would be able to hunt.

I hope that provides some insight.

I totally agree with lcornice on this one. The zone restrictions and all that only keep the honest guys honest. The poachers will still do what they do regardless of the license system or the tag requirements. They don't follow them anyway.

Yeah, I do understand how much easier it is for the DNR. I am a big supporter of the DNR and what it does. I really love being able to transfer my bonus tag for archery and use it during the shotgun season if I hadn't used it during archery.

Discussing this, another question came to mind, If I shoot a buck during Archery in a management zone, but don't use my bonus tag, do I need to buy a firearm license? I still have my bonus tag. If I buy a regular firearm license, then my bonus tag becomes useless and I just flushed the price of a tag down the drain, unless I go in another area with management or intensive harvest, which I can do. I just don't have as nice of areas. I'm sure I have to buy a regular firearms, but I thought I'd ask, just in case I am wrong.

ya you'll need the regular firearms license, not for the tag, but for the right to legally hunt with a firearm. You can't take your bonus tag you got with your bow and fill it with a gun if you don't have a gun season license to allow you to be hunting with a gun.

Yeah, I already knew the answer, but thought I'd ask anyway. It's kind of back to the way it was before intensive harvest in my area. So in reality. If I get a buck with my bow, for me to use the bonus tag, I'll have to shoot a deer in a different management area or an intensive harvest area than where I use my regular firearm. I bought my bonus tag without looking at our designation, I never thought we'd be taken off the intensive harvest list. If I had known that, I would have only bought the regular season archery license.

96trigger--reading your posts it seems like you are thinking of tagging two deer in one managed area, then tag another deer in another managed zone. You can only kill two deer total in all your managed zone hunting. Maybe I misread your posts, but I think thats what I am reading.

Good Luck!

Nope, you are correct, that is what I am thinking, is that not the case? These stinking laws are confusing. I THOUGHT, that I could go into another management area and use my bonus. I live in zone 343 and would know some people that would let me bow hunt on their land, this is an intensive harvest area, I would be safe going there right? What I am now getting out of this is that a person can only take two deer out of any management area, same or different. But I can take up to 3 more deer if I use bonus permits in 343. I actually live on the Highway divider between 342 and 343 on the 343 side. So as you can see, I am trying to figure out what I can do and still be legal.

OK, how about this, I have a couple of stands in zone 344, which is lottery (whitewater). Can I shoot a buck there with my regular archery tag. Then hunt firearm in 342 which is management and still shoot two deer with my regular fire arm and bonus? I would be taking one deer out of a lottery area during the bow season, and then possibly two deer out of a managed area during firearm. Is this legal?

It may sound confusing to some of you, but I am in Plainview which is a connecting point for three different zones. I am under 10 miles from 3 different zones, All three I have permission to hunt, and all three have different designations. 343= Intensive, 342=Managed, 344=Lottery.

I'm sorry if I am beating this with a dead horse. Your help on here is greatly appreciated. I also don't want to sound like an (Contact Us Please). What I'm trying to do is find a way to use the bonus tag that I already purchased, and still hunt the firarm season if I shoot a buck during archery. (I know that I can still hunt the firearm season if I only shoot a buck, but I'd have to buy another license, again making my bonus permit useless in a management zone)

Quote:

Nope, you are correct, that is what I am thinking, is that not the case? These stinking laws are confusing. I THOUGHT, that I could go into another management area and use my bonus. I live in zone 343 and would know some people that would let me bow hunt on their land, this is an intensive harvest area, I would be safe going there right? What I am now getting out of this is that a person can only take two deer out of any management area, same or different. But I can take up to 3 more deer if I use bonus permits in 343. I actually live on the Highway divider between 342 and 343 on the 343 side. So as you can see, I am trying to figure out what I can do and still be legal.

OK, how about this, I have a couple of stands in zone 344, which is lottery (whitewater). Can I shoot a buck there with my regular archery tag. Then hunt firearm in 342 which is management and still shoot two deer with my regular fire arm and bonus? I would be taking one deer out of a lottery area during the bow season, and then possibly two deer out of a managed area during firearm. Is this legal?

It may sound confusing to some of you, but I am in Plainview which is a connecting point for three different zones. I am under 10 miles from 3 different zones, All three I have permission to hunt, and all three have different designations. 343= Intensive, 342=Managed, 344=Lottery.

I'm sorry if I am beating this with a dead horse. Your help on here is greatly appreciated. I also don't want to sound like an (Contact Us Please). What I'm trying to do is find a way to use the bonus tag that I already purchased, and still hunt the firarm season if I shoot a buck during archery. (I know that I can still hunt the firearm season if I only shoot a buck, but I'd have to buy another license, again making my bonus permit useless in a management zone)

You can take 1 in any 1 lottery area and 2 total in any combination of managed areas. So, you can't take 2 in each managed area but you could take 3 if you mix and max lottery and managed areas.

As for your second paragraph, yes, that's legal.

Good luck and I'm sure a lot of us are jealous of the fact you have so many areas to hunt!

The key to your second paragraph is that if you take a buck by bow you cannot take another buck firearms with your tag. You can take does though. Only 1 buck per year no matter how or where.

96, I am exactly in the same boat as you are but with only 2 areas, 1 is managment and 1 is intensive. All of the questions you asked is what I was trying to understand also. And when I emailed the DNR, I got a response from some woman who I really beleive didn't know what she was talking about. That is the beauty of this site, more than likely you will get a straight answer.

What really gets my goat is a conversation I overheard last Friday night at the liquor store between two women - both laughing at how their husbands kept reminding them to get their firearms licenses and apply for their doe permits in time for our lottery area. I wonder if the number of "new women hunters" will suddenly spike again lcornice? Would be a good idea to monitor that number in lottery areas with the new bag limit of one this year. Perhaps more in the field visits are due to lottery zones this year than normal if the resources allow. I know I would welcome a CO coming by to check me for a friendly chat and to make sure I wasn't pretending to be one of those new women hunters.

I think that I got it now. I'll try and tag my buck with Archery in the lottery area, then move on to the management area for shotgun and use both my tags (females only). The only place I would have a problem would be if I tagged a buck during archery in my Management area, then I would only be able to shoot one more deer, (a doe), in that area, and would have to go to the intensive harvest area to utilize my bonus tag. I think I've got. Thanks for the info, this sight really does do a nice job, somebody always has the info, or is willing to go get it.

Quote:

What really gets my goat is a conversation I overheard last Friday night at the liquor store between two women - both laughing at how their husbands kept reminding them to get their firearms licenses and apply for their doe permits in time for our lottery area. I wonder if the number of "new women hunters" will suddenly spike again lcornice? Would be a good idea to monitor that number in lottery areas with the new bag limit of one this year. Perhaps more in the field visits are due to lottery zones this year than normal if the resources allow. I know I would welcome a CO coming by to check me for a friendly chat and to make sure I wasn't pretending to be one of those new women hunters.

We'll just have to see. For the most part, kitchen tags went away in 2003 when the state moved away from a statewide lottery. In fact, from 2002 - 2003, 15,000 women stopped hunting. Problem was they never existed. I think for sure we'll see a slight resurgence in females. Law enforcement knows it and I'm sure they'll be out there checking.

Of course, if too many people kill for their wives and/or kids, I can almost guarantee there will be buck only regulations next year. Page 60 of the regs book alludes to that.

Quote:

Quote:

You can take 1 in any 1 lottery area and 2 total in any combination of managed areas. So, you can't take 2 in each managed area but you could take 3 if you mix and max lottery and managed areas.

Wow, I hadn't figured you could do that. So the one you shoot in the lottery area, doesn't count against the two total your are allowed in the Management area? I guess I thought you could shoot enough to get you up to two total which would have counted your one in the lottery area... Following that logic though, does your lottery area count for the five total in the intensive zones? Maybe it does because five is the most you can get no matter what, maybe I've answered my own question...Geez I must be confused?!?!?!!! grin.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wow, I hadn't figured you could do that. So the one you shoot in the lottery area, doesn't count against the two total your are allowed in the Management area? I guess I thought you could shoot enough to get you up to two total which would have counted your one in the lottery area... Following that logic though, does your lottery area count for the five total in the intensive zones? Maybe it does because five is the most you can get no matter what, maybe I've answered my own question...Geez I must be confused?!?!?!!! grin.gif

Yes, it counts towards the total aggregate of 5.

Lawdog, be sure you understand that the deer I would shoot in the lottery area would be during the archery season. The two deer that I would possibly shoot in the management area would be shotgun season. I could then take take two more deer with bonus tags in the intensive harvest area. That would be my limit of 5 deer a year. This is how I understand it. I could't take three deer during the firearm or regular archery season from a lottery and Management area, the most I could get is two total. (I thought I could three at first, but know now that its not legal)

I am in a lottery area for Firearm and Intensive for Muzzleloader. I can only take one deer on the lottery area. However, if I don't get one during Firearm, can I shoot up to 5 during muzzleloader (with bonus tags)? I have an all seasons license.

If I shoot 2 this year I will be amazed. I have a son being born in the next 3 weeks, so I am going to be busy and may not get the kitchen pass. Nice planning on my part.

Quote:

I am in a lottery area for Firearm and Intensive for Muzzleloader. I can only take one deer on the lottery area. However, if I don't get one during Firearm, can I shoot up to 5 during muzzleloader (with bonus tags)? I have an all seasons license.

If I shoot 2 this year I will be amazed. I have a son being born in the next 3 weeks, so I am going to be busy and may not get the kitchen pass. Nice planning on my part.

Yes, you can do that.

Quote:

Lawdog, be sure you understand that the deer I would shoot in the lottery area would be during the archery season. The two deer that I would possibly shoot in the management area would be shotgun season. I could then take take two more deer with bonus tags in the intensive harvest area. That would be my limit of 5 deer a year. This is how I understand it. I could't take three deer during the firearm or regular archery season from a lottery and Management area, the most I could get is two total. (I thought I could three at first, but know now that its not legal)

96 - the seasons don't matter. You can take one or both during either of the seasons. Just so you don't exceed the limit (1 lottery, 2 managed), it doesn't matter when.

OK,, on the all season tag, can you shoot a deer each season one bow one gun one muzzle??? or just one the entire season ,,or all with bow???? and then go to managed areas with bonus tags and use there???