• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

We have two weeks to go for our week long trip to Ida. Anyone been fishing it lately? Looks like the temp. is coming down. What is there for bait, Leeches/Redtail? Got most everything packed and ready to fly that bird out there. If any of you are going to be in the area the week of 22nd-29th stop by Betsy Ross. Sure would like to chat and may have a cold one for you. Thanks.

I'm not sure about the bait shops in town but Christophersons Bait is done with big leeches for the year. Most everyone is using shad raps, crawlers, or red tails now. Fishing hasn't been to bad aorund the area, but haven't been on lake Ida for awhile, MIltona has given a few up for lately again. 12-17 fow around sunset has been working best for me.

Figured the leaches would be done with. Got my plastics and worm rigs ready. What size jig hook you using/need for the Redtails?

I guess I normally use a size 6 for the med to smaller red tails, and if you get some bigger ones go to a 4. I normally jig with them though so I use the fireball jig or lindy wide gap jig.

Thanks Alex1. Just looked up the Lindy Max Gap and Fireball Jigs. I guess they are pretty much one size hook. I'll definitely have to pick some of those up at the bait shop when I get there. Only 9 days to go. Make sure you stop by if you are in the area. I appreaciate all the help.

Just to give you a heads up, I talked to a co-worker who was out the other day on IDA and he said he was fishing in 35fow. draging a lindy rig with a red tail and did pretty good, a lot of little ones but put your time in and you will come home with a meal anyways. Wouldn't devolge his spot though. Let me know how you did when you get a chance cool.gifcool.gif

Hey I'll take a bunch of smaller ones. At least there are some hitting. Got a week so should be able to get a couple big one. Not asking for specific locations. I fish alot out here, chat on our local web and I don't just spat out my holes either. I surely will give a report.

berdman,

Hands down my #1 presentation this time of year is a live bait (lindy) rig tipped with a redtail. I almost exclusively run a #4 hook with redtails. Doesn't seem to matter to have the larger hook with med-smaller sized redtails.

#2 would be jig and a minnow. I'll use this to use up the smaller redtails as they don't seem to work as well (especially on larger fish) on a straight live bait rig.

#3 if you don't mind going out in the evening/night...pulling plugs in 4-12 ft. of Water can be very productive.

Locations with presentations 1 and 2can vary. If you've fished Ida for some years you'll be well aware of the multitude of structure possibilities out there. On structure that has weed growth on it, be it shorline points/bars or mid lake structure, I'll start out up next to the weeds and work my way down to 40' of water. On "weed free" structure or deep midlake structure your typically looking at areas that top out at 28-35'. If you find small fish on this sort of structure at a certain depth (typically shallower) try to slide to a different depth (obviously usually deeper) and you may run into a pocket of larger fish. Due to the lack of weeds on these type of areas, it is very easy to scan the structure with the electronics for fish. If I don't see any, I usually don't fish it. I'll usually stop back and scan again as they may hold fish at different times. With this said, if your not catching fish on a certain spot don't sit there and waste time waiting for 1 or 2 to cruise in. Stay mobile and spot jump until you find some. Forget Leeches but if you want a cheaper alternative to redtails, crawlers may work but I just hate getting nipped off by perch and sunfish.

There are a lot of small 12-13 inchers in Ida right now but you can find larger ones with a little work. All this talk makes me want to leave the duck boat at home an pull the Lund up instead on the 29th weekend. Hmmm we'll see!!

Good Luck!

WW

WW,

Thanks for all the info. Looks like Lindy Rigs are going to be in the tackle box, and evently on the rod. We do plan on trolling some cranks at night.

This is our first time to Ida so we have some work to do finding the right spots. The electonics will be worked hard and patients will be used, but not sitting on one spot all day. Got a good map so that will help cut out some time.

Boy have them fronts moved in. The lake temp should be dropping big time now. I know last year you mentioned this was the best time, looks like it may be the same this year.

8 days to go. Anticipation is getting to me.

Thanks, berdman

I'm jealous. If I didn't have a pheasant tournament this weekend I think it may be an excellent time to be on Ida. I know on Labor Day fish could be found on some deep mid lake structure but as mentioned, with the cooler weather, they should be sliding up/over onto the shoreline structure. There is a huge "bar" that comes off of the "island" with the huge house on it (West side of the lake). Basically the face of it runs North and south. Anywhere along the outsides of the weedline can be good. Good luck.

I was out with my Brother-in-Law, Paul (owner of Betsy Ross Resort) yesterday morning and picked up this Walleye in about 23' of water with gold jig & fathead. Didn't measure him or weigh him, just took a quick cell phone picture and got him back in the lake where he belongs.

09-23-07_0710.jpg

We had a great time on Lake Ida last week. Ended up with 17 Walleye for the week. Beings our first trip on this lake we were happy. One 28", one 25" and two 24" all released, the rest were eating size. Caught the 28" and a few others on Shad Raps at night. Most were caught on Jig and Silver Minnow or Lindy rig with silver minnow and a couple on Redtails. Spent most of the time on Little Ida. Did go out on the main lake and Christophersons Bay. Not as much luck on the walleyes, but did manage some nice size Northern's and Bass. Crappie were not found, ended up with two for the whole week. Only a couple small perch, too small to keep. Sunny's were more than plentiful, in fact there were too many. Kept eating the tails off the bait.

All in all we had a great time. Resort was great and the people were excellent. Ended up eating Broasted Chicken at the Leaf Vally Merchantile, yum yum. tongue.gif

We want to thank all of you for your help in getting us started on a new lake. We definettly are planning another trip next fall.

Thanks,

Berdman

Berdman, Glad you had a good trip. Congrats on the big fish and I commend you on letting them swim. Just curious as to if you found a certain depth that seemed to be "magic" or were they up and down? I may hopefully get up there this weekend to give her one more try.

WW

WW, With the water temp still a little warm they were a little deep. During the day 30-35' was the target zone. In the evening we were in 20' with most of them being in 15'. Used a #7 Glass Shad Rap at about 2.5-3 mile per hour. Tried to get shallower in the evening but with all the weeds we got tired of the hang ups. Seemed every time we tried to hit that bar by the (island) we were getting so much wind it was impossible frown.gif. Again, thanks for your advice.

Little Ida you say? You didnt catch any pike? Ive caught many many 30" pike in there before.

Berdman, congrats on your your trip to Lake Ida..It's a great lake..I've been fishing this lake for 36yrs and never get bored with it. It's got alot of niced fish in it. I was up there this past Friday night and Saturday and the fish were just getting going.. Wasn't able to fish where I normaly fish in the fall because of the wind but did manage some nice eaters. Also alots of small 10"ers.. Wave Wacker what do you run for a boat? I'll be up there on Friday night again and fishing Saturday. May see you on the lake.

I run a 1775 blue/tan Lund ProV with a 75 merc 4 stroke. Been enjoying the Ida Waters for 12+ years now (fortunate enough that my now wife's parents have a place on the lake) and as Marbleye possibly can agree with, I haven't come close to checking out all the twists and turns of all the structure that Ida has in it.

I am going to be up at some point this weekend but just not sure for how long with things going on at home. The weather looks like it's going to turn cold overnight with some rain on Sat. and Sun. Right now, it looks as if I may run up on Thurs. night and fish Fri. for sure, maybe Sat.

Marbleye, what make of boat/motor do you run? If you don't mind saying, What presentation/s and depth did you find your fish? Do you typically fish North or South in the Fall? I have a couple of spots South that I am going to check out right away and then "go hunting" from there. Maybe run into you.

WW

Yes, we caught some nice Pike on Little Ida. Boat partner wasn't too found of Pike so we didn't target them. I know we had at least 3-4 in the 28-30 inch range just from our boat on Little Ida. Once we were in Christophersons there were more and bigger. Others in the group did enjoy them and most were from Little Ida. All caught on Golden Shiners.

I envy you folks that get to fish this lake so much. We really like the different opportunities in structure and layout of this lake. Like I said it was our first time and with just one week and changing winds we didn't get a chance to try even a smiggen of the possibilitys. We will be back next year and now have a some knowledge on where to go and not to go. We didn't even make it to the south end. I wish I was back in the Midwest to get more opportunitys to fish Ida.

What is considered "Little Ida"???

[quote Spent most of the time on Little Ida. Did go out on the main lake and Christophersons Bay. Not as much luck on the walleyes,

Basically the big bay on the Northwest corner of Lake Ida. Where Betsy Ross resort is.

Wave Wacker I fish mostly the north end of the lake. But once in a while I get down to pilgrams point..As far as depth goes I was fishing 35'- 45' of water..Was unable to get the fish any shallower. But again the weather kept me from fishing my normal spots...Jigs and fatheads were the ticket..I love using redtails. But at the cost of $8.00 a dozen that drains the pocket book pretty fast. I run a Alumacraft 175 Navigator (gray) 115 Merc. See you on the water.

Marbleye.