• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Nisswa Guides Report-Early Fall!

Fishing continues to be red hot out on Gull Lake. Limits of walleyes have been commonplace. Most of these fish have been on the small size but most anglers are finding enough eaters to make it worth the trip. Jigs and small redtails, rainbows, or fatheads have worked well, so has a Lindy rig tipped with a redtail chub. Seems like with so many fish in the system right now you can catch them in a variety of depths. Over the last week fish have been found in 10-30 feet of water and I’m sure some have been on either side of that. All I know is that it has been very good out there. The whitefish chain has also been decent on some days. The bass fishing continues to be pretty good on the weed flats or deep weedlines. The crappie fishing is also picking up a little. Most guys are chasing walleyes so reports for the other species has been somewhat limited. If you want walleyes head over to Gull but remember to throw some back in the lake for next year. Let them go so they can grow!

Jason Erlandson

Wow! It sure feels like fall today. It is cold and blowing about 30 mph. I think I'll stay on land today. Yesterday was great again. We found most of our fish in 15-17 feet. We have seen the best bite all season over the last 10 days or so. It sure is fun out there.

Jason Erlandson

I'll report again after tomorrow's results. Lots of big fish coming out of the weeds. But fish are being caught everywhere.

Jason Erlandson

Fishing was red hot again today even though it started out with frost on the windshield this morning. We started the morning with jigs and minnows. I had a novice with me. After a few misses he hooked his first walleye of the day. Once he got the hang of it he was nailing the walleyes and bass one after another. After a couple of hours fishing jigs I switched it up. I went to a Lindy rig and a 4-6 inch redtail. Trophy hunting. A couple of pig walleyes and a big pike and the trip was over. It was a fun morning. We found all of our fish in 14-18 feet of water. If only every season was like fall. It is just way too short.

Jason Erlandson

Jason's reports lately have been for Gull Lake, although I'm sure he is keeping his eyes on the other lakes in the area to when they turn over and explode with fish grin.gif I am heading to Gull today, hopefully the wind lets me fish without kicking my donkey! Jason, I will be in for the Redtails and a current report!

Correct, I was speaking about Gull. But we have been out on Pelican and North Long a couple of days. Pelican seems to be feast or famine. Gull has been the most consistent. We have three boats out there all day today and I had a cancellation. We'll see how it goes with all of the wind. I'll keep you posted.

Jason Erlandson

Jason,

Are you sticking to shorelines or have you been out on the mid-lake structure? Thanks for the help. It is appreciated.

Thursday is not far away now!

Fished all day 9/16.Caught lots of small fish even on larger redtails.Kept three that were worth cleaning out of about twenty fish.Mid lake was just as good as shore lines.Was suprized how busy the lake was on sunday.Burl.

Our guides and I have been fishing shoreline structure most of the time. But that doesn't mean that there aren't fish on mid lake structure as well. Anglers are having great luck pretty much everywhere on the lake lately.

Jason Erlandson

Give Sandy point a try. We always do well there this time of the year. Try the weedline or get out on the point and work the 25-30 ft areas there.

If your'e fishing after dark, give trolling cranks a try. Not many people do this. But we have always caught fish on Sandy Point doing this.

Post your results!!!!

Good luck.

Rodmaker, What are you doing on the Brainerd site, I thought you were strictly a Mille Lacs guy.

Cranks seem to be what is working from what I hear. All my fishing gear is put away for the year boys. The baby is coming in the next two weeks. Now I am fishing vicariously. Show pictures please.

We sure had some wicked weather this week so I'll give you an update. Yesterday was a wash. The storms pushed us off the water at about 8:30 am, but the activity was pretty good while it lasted. A couple of changes this week. Gull is still pretty good but it has slowed a little. Seems like the fish have really scattered. I found my fish in 13-14 feet while some of our other guides went deep and caught them in 45 feet. So it has taken a little more hunting the last few days out there. Pelican has really turned on this week. Look for some of the mid-lake structure to hold fish on Pelican. North Long has been really good too. Try the main lake or the Merrifield end. Submerged points or humps are holding fish in 18-28 feet. That's the latest. Good luck this weekend!

Jason Erlandson

We (the wife also) fish Gull in the Fall for the last 10-15 years or so in Sept. We usually do well with redtails "reverse rigging" with 5-7 ft snells. The size of the Eyes are great. They are very chunky.

Haven't been able to hook into anything over 26" though.

Jason..Im fishing that tourney on Pelican on Sunday and was wondering if you have redtails and if yes how early do you open????? Thanks in advance....

My family has a place on Pelican, but due to the water levels we had to take the boat out over a month ago. I would have love to go up for a day or two, but it just isn't worth it especially doing it all by myself. I should have tried heading over to Gull though, I have heard it has been great this year.

You use a snell 5-7 ft. Red hook. Hook the Redtail towards the tail. (Similar to what you would do ice fishing) only a little further back.

You troll. Very slow. Moving a few feet at a time. I usually back troll with my Merc 75 or Minn Kota. Go a few feet and then put in neutral. When you do this , the redtail has the action that it is swimming up off the bottom. Trying to escape from something. Eye's can't resist this!!!!!

The In-Fisnerman has this presentation on one of their earlier Walleye tapes. I believe tape # 2 or #3. It's with Al and Marv Koep. My guess this was filmed on Gull.

This presentation works!!!!! Sometimes I put a single chart. or red bead in front of the hook.

We've been using this presentation on Gull for many years.

Give it a try grin.gif

Hook it in the top. This technique is an old Marv Koep/ Brainerd guides

Just remember, if there is a good wind, backtroll, .

Do you do anything different when "trophy hunting". Haven't been able to get over that 26" hump???

Must be doing something wrong??

Any tips/suggestions would be helpful.

When we use redtails we always us 4-6 "'ers.

Sounds good. If you get a chance, shoot me an e-mail at work tomorrow. Just wondering if your'e able to attend the Fall Frenzy next weekend.

Did you get into any "Pigs" on Gull??