• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

1st gun

Sandmannd

I have a couple different single shot guns, the hammer type I can see being more dangerous because of the hammer on my 2 guns with hammers, may not be all guns with hammers, but the 2 I have the safety on it is the hammer being partail cocked. I have accidentally fired the gun at my foot, missing by less then an inch. On my guns if you want to fire you pull back the hammer, then if you decide not to fire the gun, you need to pull the trigger and easily lower the hammer back down. I only once accidentally fired the gun by doing this, with doing it a thousand times, but was always cautious when doing it because I knew what could happen. I also have bolt action, which I think is much safer. Although its not a shotgun!

96trigger,

I searched, Yahoo, dangerous hunting shotguns, most dangerous shotgun, singe shot shotgun related deaths, best first hunting gun and a couple of other search topics and found nothing. I did not scroll threw the 16,000 hits that came up under topics, but went through a few pages. I was looking for negative info, because my oldest boy will start hunting training next year. Here you found what I was looking for right on MN DNR web site. Thanks! The gun my father bought for me was bought in 1991 brand new. I will revisit the safety features on gun.

What I did read was operator error (cold fingers, having hammer cocked and old gun), but does bring up a notion of awareness that should be in place.

I guess I was lucky! In the two years I first started to hunt I used a single shot. All we did was grouse hunt. My father made me have barrel cracked, until we flushed a bird. Then I would bring barrel back, wait until bird flushes and cock hammer and fire. Always felt safe and respected the gun.

Nice Post trigger. This is exactly what I was thinking in stating the dangers of a shot gun with a hammer. Especially for a first time gun owner. They are great guns just like all guns, but pulling trigger and easing the hammer back can be an accident waiting to happen.

Quote:

Sandmannd-

I just won an 870 express at a PF banquet last month. If you are interested I will cut you a deal and save you a few bucks. I don't need another 12 gauge. Just a thought.

ww

Walleye Wegs send me an email at [email protected] and let me know what you were thinking.

Thanks to everyone for all the posts. It's great to get this much info. I think I'm going to go with the pump. I have a young daughter and don't know that I will get out all that much anyway. I am thinking of joining a trap league to get some good practice in.

Shackbash, I have nothing against a hammer on a gun. You are doing a fine job teaching your kids the art of shot placement and aiming by doing that. Some people who don't have good fathers or teachers, might not be as careful around a hammer as you will teach your boys to be. I mean no disrespect to you or what you are teaching your kids. I shot an old bolt action stevens with the clip when I was a kid and would love to teach my son to shoot on it. However, I just refinished it and it is now in my collection, not a shooter anymore. My dad used take the clip from me so essentiall it was just a single shot. I love that gun. grin.gif

The exposed hammer is what makes this gun dangerous. I am a Firearm Safety Instructor and during our training, the DNR showed us a graph of accidents by action type. Check with the DNR Education unit in Fort Ripley, maybe they can get it for you. The most dangerous action, by far (it wasnt even close), was the lever....why the lever? Because of the exposed hammer. Since the shotguns we are talking about have the same exposed hammer, it makes them relatively more dangerous than other guns with typical safeties. Little hands, cold hands, inexperience and a little adrenaline can make these type of guns dangerous.

Also, because they are typically shorter and lighter, I suspect that muzzle control is more of an issue with these as well.

In a controlled setting with proper adult supervision, they can be good for kids (although watch the kick, they tend to pack a wallop).

i was gonna buy an 870 a few years ago. i actually found that the winchester1300 fit me better than the 870. was like night and day when i held them at the store. give a few different makes a chance.

don't forget the mossburg 500.

I grew up with a Wingmaster 870 and both my sons did. We now have 7 wingmaster 870's in the house. I would not shoot anything else!

Sandman,

It's great your taking up hunting! I'll be hunting in October with a friend in his forties, who is just starting, too. I admire you both. I don't imagine alot of people start hunting later in their lives. The most rewarding and appreciated meals you'll eat, will be the ones you hunted.

I have three boys, not yet hunting age. I might start them on Remmington 870 Wingmasters. I've had mine 27 years and love it. Whatever gun you choose, practice and get comfortable with it. I don't even think about ejecting shells. When I feel the kick on my shoulder, the shell is comming out.

I started on a single shot with a hammer, and then a side by side double barrel.

I don't like the hammers. Once some Sharptails flushed and I ended up not shooting. It was a cold morning and the cocked hammer slipped away from my light gloves. No harm done, it was pointed well away from my feet, towards the ground. It was still a good scare, for the youngster that I was.

Thanks for the nice words Weed Shark. I'm looking forward to the outings. Thanks to Walleye Wegs I have a new 870 that he didn't need and cut me a deal on. I have a couple of buddies that are going to take me out as time permits. Anyone else out there willing to take out a newbie and show the skills of hunting. I was thinking of hitting a range and shooting clays. Do you all think this is a good idea, is it the best way to get the feel for the gun or is there something else I should do?

It's sometimes nice to buy a box of clay targets, if someone knows a suitable location, and casually practice with a friend or two, throwing targets for each other.

At gun clubs, I like to shoot skeet. It practices a wide variety of angles: straight away, straight over-head, quartering shots with short leads, and crossing shots with long leads.

Ya!

The only chance you have of bagging a grouse is beginers luck, practice or your buddy shots one that has a little of both. grin.gif