• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Difference in Gas...

minnesotatuff

last year there was some talk of unleaded gas without ethynol. this spring i had to have the o-rings replaced in my '04 115 mercury optimax. the boat has a 40 gal tank and im still using gas from last summer with enough left for a fall trolling trip. i think there was mention that gas from stations away from the cities dont have ethynol, or as much in it? im not sure if that was the cause of the o-rings but if a tank lasts me this long, im going to fill it with the best gas i can find. does anyone know specifically which stations have the lower or non-ethynol gas? i live in st paul and go to mille lacs either by 169 or 65 depending on where im fishing.

i havent been fishing since early july. the reports have been few and far between.

starting next saturday or the one after im taking a neighbor couple up for the day for their second annual walleye fishing trip. that will be my start for fall fishing until ice in.

the full moon of october is planned already.

regards,

minnesotatuff

I have the same motor- What you are looking for is non-oxygenated fuel which is what I always try to use, but I have ran all kinds of defiant fuel from 87, 89, 90, 91 and 92 with or without ethanol. I have never had a problem with my optimax but I'm also on the water 3 to 5 times a week. My fuel doesn't sit very long. My advise is to use non-oxygenated fuel and try to put the amount of fuel you need per trip so you have a good amount of fresh fuel in your boat on every trip. Instead of filling you boats and letting the fuel sit and go bad. I have posted what Mercury web site states on compatibility below.

Mercury engines compatible with ethanol fuels?

The fuel-system components of Mercury engines will withstand up to 10 percent ethanol in gasoline – the maximum level currently allowed by the EPA in the U.S. There are some efforts to establish E-20 (20 percent ethanol mixed with 80 gasoline) for use in some areas, but that will require agreement from EPA to grant a waiver. Part of the EPA waiver process will require verification from studies that demonstrate that higher levels of ethanol do not create problems with fuel-system materials or operation of hardware. E-20 has not been extensively studied by Mercury and is not acceptable for use in Mercury products. E-85 fuels must not be used in any Mercury engines and could seriously damage current Mercury products. It is not legal in the U.S. to market any ethanol fuel as gasoline if it contains more than 10 percent ethanol.

thank you for the in depth response. i have noticed that mixed gas for ice augers and older outboards doesnt go bad even with unleaded. the dealer told me and from what i have read, by adding mercury additive to the gas it will not go bad either. from that standpoint it makes the $2.11 a gallon i paid for gas last fall a pretty good deal. you are using yours enough to keep it running the way they are made to run. mine might get 5 or 6 day trips in the spring and another 4 or 5 in the fall. this is only my third season with it.

regards,

minnesotatuff

I strongly recommend using Non-oxy in all outboards, snowmobiles, atv's. etc. Many stations have it and it has a white label on the pump. Usually it is a premium fuel pump. Some BP stations have it and most stations on the way to Mille Lacs have it as well. If there is not a sticker on the pump, dont buy it there. The problem with Oxygenated fuel is that it breaks down. Depending on many factors, it can start very quickly and can gum up a fuel system badly. It also breaks down seals, fittings and a whole host of other things that will cost you money to repair/replace. Saving a couple of bucks in fuel will never make up for the headaches if the fuel causes problems, Usually when you are about 3-miles from shore.

THere is a product called Fitch Fuel Catalyst that maintains fuel better than stabil and other products. If fuel sits in your tanks for extended period of time. You may want to look into it.

thanks, i will use only non-oxy gas from now on and try to keep refreshing it every trip. im still planning on adding the mercury gas treatment as i dont know enough to know if its not needed with non-oxy. its been over 8 weeks since ive had it running. before the next trip i will start it up and let it run for a while...

opener weekend this spring was when the motor crapped out, it was just after learning that i can troll down even slower with it by tilting it so there is just enough water, with a little safety margine, to flow thru the pump. this is nice for backtrolling. forward it presents a hazzard for the lines. i dont have a gas kicker and kick myself for not getting one when i got the boat. now, i try to make do with the 115 and a vantage 80. im thinking about fall trolling. i like to troll forward because i am right handed and real with my left hand, fishing from a tiller. last year i tied a driftsock off the bow eye. that slowed the boat enough but control was hard. it was either on one side or the other of the keel and with any wind at all... backtrolling with a driftsock is alright, but... next time im going to try using two driftsocks, tied short to the front cleats on the gunnels. they will be ahead of me sitting in the stern and the equality shouldnt affect boat control too much. that would keep the socks higher in the water too. last fall we were in 3ft of water & less. dont know if i want to fish that shallow again though. we were lucky. this year its a whole different situation.

regards,

minnesotatuff

The place I fill up hot rod, boats and older motor's is Conaco in Princeton. Non oxy all the way. It is right off the exit of Rum River drive, under free way bridge. There middle grade is same price as 87 oct or as of late one penny more per gallon. If you head up to west side, this could be a nice stop. They seem to be cheaper than Zimm town and other gas stations on the way (minus Anoka). I think wright tire in Anoka on hwy 10 has non-oxy also. I could be worng.

Good luck MT!

I fill my boat with non-oxy from connaco in elk river. It is usally a few cents higher than the average, but it being on the side of highway 10 it is allways fresh. Runs good. I have a 125 2stroke and a 9.9 fourstroke runnin same tank.both are merc's.