• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

any walleye bite lately?

I'm gonna try to get out in the NE metro soon (white bear, bald eagle, centerville). Is anyone having any luck with a walleye bite or is the bite slow? Don't need any specifics, just wondering how the bite is going as of late. Thanks.

We (4 boats) had a small friendly walleye tourney just today... (Saturday Sept 8) and not ONE walleye was caught! So there. smile.gif

thanks for the reply, sly. I was guessing water temps might have to cool off a little more before any type of bite hits.

Hey, new to the area and the site.

went out this weekend on a local lake and the walleyes have just started to bite. caught 3 14-16" on friday and the same saturday. mixed in were some northern and bass. fun fishing but the lake was packed with recreation boats.. the water patrol was out both days and it seamed like i was the only one on the water that wasn't checked. I guess that could relate to the fact that i was the only one fishing!

They are starting to bite a little better the past week. The bite for me though has been after 9pm in less then 6 FTW. Jig and minnow and just letting it sit on the bottom or if it is a calm night a slip bobber. They are not hitting moving targets for me yet.

Good to know, shorefisher and skarupa. I'm getting pretty antsy and will probably try my luck wed. night. If I make it out, I'll leave a post as to my success or lack thereof.

Following-up on my "success or lack thereof".... got skunked. However, I was in a rush to get to the lake before it was dark and didn't have all my ducks lined up, so to speak, so I was a bit unprepared. I pretty much had to stay in the 12-17 ft range because I couldn't find any areas around six feet that weren't total weeds. The water temp was 68 degrees. Next time I'm gonna get out early to scout some areas during the daylight, and have all my equipment (like a light for in the boat so I can tie-up diffent presentations, DUH). Anyhow, it was a short 2.5 hours of fishing and I'll be back out soon - I'd really like to get into some walleye's on white bear for a change. Please feel free to follow-up post with any helpful info. on getting into white bear walleyes.

I haven't been out myself after eyes lately but I took a photo of a 28" walleye for a guy who was pulling cranks pretty fast over shallow weedlines.

Kdawg, Don't feel bad. Hit WBL Sunday only one very small eye. Hard to find a weedless spot in shallow even with day light out there. Picked mine up a sunset on top of bar. Water still a little warm I think. Chisago chain has put a few in the boat but again small. Thinking of Clear this weekend? It can only get better grin.gif

Thanks for the input, shorefisher. Well, I tried centerville last Sat., thinking, "smaller lake, water cools faster, less water clarity", just might be the ticket?!.... NADA. No walters, but 2 northern and 3, 8" crappies. No action whatsoever in the evening. I'm definately scratching my head, but will continue trying. I started out with jig/minnow, a couple light bites that were missed. Tried spinner with crawler, a no-go. Trolled some shad raps to no avail. Then went with a floating jig head and 2' snell, lindy-style, this is what caught the fish. All fish were caught in 12' of water and I worked it hard from 5' to 15'. BTW, water temp. was around 62... I think. Let me know how you do on clear. If I'm home this weekend, which is highly unlikely at the moment, I just might give clear a try myself.

thought i would post again because this was just crazy.

took my buddy out on monday to a local lake in the afternoon and started trolling rapalas over a flat. was trying for walleyes but all we could get were bass. We caught 7 bass between 14 and 19 inches. after trying a different area with no success, we came back to the original spot to try for walleyes. We drifted over the flat with jigs and minnows and caught 5 fish between 18 and 21 inchs. we were just about to call it a night and i hooked up with a big fish. after a 10 minute battle, i brought in a 27 inch walleye. caught it in 3 feet of water. on a side note, i think the reason they bit so well was a warm from came through. when we went out the temp was 76 and when we came back in that night it was 80. best fishing trip of the season. unfortunatly, we didnt have a camera so the only photos are the ones we kept for dinner, which i dont think you can post... not sure

there were some weeds, but mostly sand, clay and some rock. it was frusterating because we would get hung up a lot with weads but you could usually pull through them..

went out thursday night and had an interesting day.

got out there and put 2 nice eaters on the stringer. then the stringer fell off the hook and was in the water. i put on a big rapala in hopes of catching the stringer, and after about 1/2 hour i finally hooked into something which i thought was the stringer because it wasnt fighting that much but you could tell it was moving. finally got it in and was a 24 inch walleye. tried to anchor later in the day and got blown off the spot.. and broke off my anchor rope. stared to lightning out so i had to leave the anchor and get off the lake

fished tonka on wed night picked up a couple jig minnow about 30 feet then storm blew us off the lake

• 2 weeks later...