• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Nate McVey

MN Elk in Kittson County

Nate McVey

Some of you may have seen my posts campaigning for the RMEF. Here is a picture of a bull from earlier this week in Kittson County. You can bet the RMEF's fundraising efforts play a very large role in the reintroduction of elk to MN.

MNElk2.jpg

MNElk1.jpg

harvey lee

That looks to be a sure book bull. Out west class elk. smile.gif

xedge2002

That would be awesome to get a big elk herd going in MN! I am planning on going out west sometime to try and hunt one of them but it would be even better if I could stay in MN!!

jlm

Numbers are certainly on the rise in Kittson county as well as in other areas. I wonder why the only hunting season is in the Grygla area??? Anyone know the logic behind not opening a season for the other herds in MN?

Nate McVey

The reason for the lack of a hunting season in Kittson is becuase it was there last year. The MN legislature decided to alternate hunts in these early years. Hunting these smaller herds often breaks them up and scatters them increasing the odds for predators and for starvation. If I remember right, they did not issue any bull tags this year, only a couple of cow tags. The Kittson herd also travels between Canada and the U.S., they winter in Canada and summer in MN. If the herds keep growing we will have more oppourtunity to hunt them with more regularity.

jlm

There was a hunt in Kittson County last year?

Nate McVey

The reading I have done says they were going to alternate hunting zones year to year, but I can't find anything to back that up on the DNR website. I will see what I can some up with tomorrow. Sorry for any confusion.

lcornice

Quote:

The reason for the lack of a hunting season in Kittson is becuase it was there last year. The MN legislature decided to alternate hunts in these early years. Hunting these smaller herds often breaks them up and scatters them increasing the odds for predators and for starvation. If I remember right, they did not issue any bull tags this year, only a couple of cow tags. The Kittson herd also travels between Canada and the U.S., they winter in Canada and summer in MN. If the herds keep growing we will have more oppourtunity to hunt them with more regularity.

The Kittson county herd has never been hunted in Minnesota.

CSP

lol.......wow....that pic is taken like two miles from my place......that's the richarville town hall in the picture right? -- yeah, we've never had a hunt here in kittson county for the elk. There was talk last year of opening a limited season that would be open primarily to land owners (yeah me).....but something went wrong and we still don't have a season.

shiner if you ever make it up to this area again, let me know.....the elk hang out on our property quite a bit.....it's crazy when you're sitting in you stand and tbey start to bugle.

jlm

Anyone know if a Kittson County hunt is in the works. My understanding is that there are more elk in the Kittson County area than there are in Marshall county (Grygla herd). At least at times anyway!

Nate McVey

Thanks CSP, I talked with my regional director and he told me the same thing......that they had hoped to be able to alternate hunt sites but it never got past the planning stage, sorry for the missinformation.

That picture was taken by a fellow volunteer and emailed to me, so I'm not sure of the exact location. Although there is the RMEF First Annual Bugle Days being held at the Lake Bronson State Park on September 14-16 that I am trying to make it up to, although that is bow opener so I'm not sure. Is that bull really as big as it looks?

north red river

I seen a herd of about 8-10 elk northeast of Hallock here a few days ago with a couple VERY nice bulls out there.

CSP

yeah, that bull is huge.....there's actually one bigger out in the caribou herd, but it's SO remote where that one hangs out it's really rare that you see it......i acutally haven't seen it this summer yet, but one of the locals who lives out that way has seen it a couple of times.......the one in the herd out here sure is beautiful though. Every spring all the neighbors are out looking for the sheds...no one found this years though (from what i know anyways)

Nate McVey

Thanks CSP! Elk are amazing animals. I can not wait until I am driving to CO on November 3 for the 3rd rifle season. That week I spend out there sets me right for the rest of the year.

lcornice

Quote:

Anyone know if a Kittson County hunt is in the works. My understanding is that there are more elk in the Kittson County area than there are in Marshall county (Grygla herd). At least at times anyway!

It's not. The only reason the Grygla herd is hunted is because of the lack of landowner tolerance of depredation. The statute forcing DNR to consider hunting when the population exceeds 20 adults goes back to 1987. There is no statute governing Kittson county even though that herd is larger (probably around 75 vs. 55 in Grygla). It's doubtful the Kittson bunch will be hunted until their numbers grow. Quite frankly, there wouldn't be hunting in Grygla if there was the negative history with those animals.

CSP

from my understanding, the herd here won't be hunted untill they reach around 135 animals via the dnr surveys.....there are alot more elk around here than the DNR ever gets a count on.....the caribou herd is around 60 in all, the ones here (in richardville township) has about 30 in all, plus theres groups closer to hallock, and down towards lake bronson, plus misc. satelite bulls and others scattered all over.......i'd guess the number to be well over a hundred at most times if you're talking county wide