• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Trophy Fish - Keep for mount or CPR and graphite?

The Miltona Muskie thread took a turn into this discussion, so I locked it and opened up this thread. Let's have a discussion on this issue...pro's and con's...WITHOUT making any PERSONAL judgments!

I'm definitely in favor of the real thing as opposed to the replica. The replica may even look better, but it's not the actual fish. In theory you wouldn't even have to catch the fish to get a replica, borrow a picture of your buddy's fish, pay your money, bingo. I realize you can probably buy mounted fish too, but to me it just isn't the same thing.

It's not like you're going to mount 100's of fish or anything, probably one or two. I don't know if I know anyone that has 5 mounted fish, although that would be fine with me if they had whatever number if they wanted to pay for it. In most cases the fish being mounted are big enough & old enough they're getting close to dying of old age anyway, so what are you really saving by releasing them? I suppose somebody else might catch it, but so what, they might not either. I do think it's a personal choice & people should do it how they want to, but I don't see it as a moral issue one way or the other. I guess I have bigger issue with people routinely cleaning 4-5+ lb walleyes, at least on most of the lakes that won't support that kind of harvest. In Lake Erie or some of those bigger fisheries it may have no affect on the population or it's structure.

REPLICA 100%

Both mounted fish and replica's are painted renditions of fish. I guess it gives some guys woodies to know that they painted on the skin vs a mold, but replica's in my opinion are better for a number of reasons. The fish gets released,the replica looks better, lasts longer, if you aren't happy with the paint job they will get it done to your liking. Fins don't break as easy, easier to dust/clean (more durable), replicas don't look ancient in 5 years. I have two replica's in the house, not one person that has seen them thought they were replica's, all thought they were the real thing till I showed them the release shots cool.gif

Iv'e got a couple of real walleye mounts and a muskie replica. I had a real muskie mount of a 44 inch fish that died after being caught. All my real skin mounts are starting to look tough. Tails and fins will all soon be in need of repair. My old muskie mount was getting in such bad shape I gave it to a taxidermy buddy to put in his show room. He repainted it and fixed up the fins, looks fine now. But if I would have had to pay for that service I'm not sure what it would have cost.The replica looks as good as the day I got it home. People who stop at the house all comment on the big muskie. They don't even realize its not a skin mount. Put a picture of the catch and release under it and I think they look great. Let my personl best go this year, hope to catch it again some day.

A well taken picture, or series of pictures, including the release have always stuck out in my mind. A fish on a wall never looks natural. A picture or pictures, with the background, water, boat, rods, lure, ect, seems to me the most natural way to show off a big fish.

I think, as evidenced many times on this site, CPR is catching on, and hope it continues to do so. Nothing wrong with keeping a few for the pan, but the "reproducers" are vital in sustaining natural reproduction in our lakes for the future, especially now days with all the technology and gear available to us. I get frustrated with people who keep EVERYTHING they catch, and then rip the DNR for not being able to sustain fish populations in the lakes they fish. I don't think keeping the fish of a lifetime is wrong, but I think there's a classier, and more awe inspiring way to show off that fish than a mount. Mounts, in my opinion, are not as impressive as pictures. You caught the fish, capture the moment, and let it go. Mounts can look cool, but you know you'll never have a shot a catching it again, or it's offspring, when they grow up.

A good camera, I think, should be a part of a fisherman's tools. Nothing like a good picture. Yeah, hold it out and make it look big, too, if you like. Exageration, to some extent, is a part of being a fisherman also. But, a picture can never lie.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

A big fish is up to the person who caught it. My nephew who is 4 might get a 24 inch walleye and to him its huge but to most who fish its not big at all. Who really cares what others do as long as its within the law.

Graphite is the way to go. I have caught many trophy fish and have 3 mounts. All are graphite and they look great!

(Note from admin,please read forum policy before posting again,Thank-you.)

I have by no means caught a trophy fish, but always have the camera ready for that time. I personally would have a picture with a big grin and a replica made and release the fish so some day someone can catch it and laugh at how small my replica is. But to each their own. You put the work in and got lucky and caught the big one do with it what you will.

I have caught some trophy fish and have kept some and have released some. It depends on my mood and the timing.

I have no mounted fish or graphites in my house. I actually do not like the looks of either one.

I keep a disposable camera in my tackle box for the ones I do release. I learned this the hard way after catching several large fish I let go with no camera. I do keep and eat some large fish though.

Keep in mind, that it's not always possible to release the fish. I caught a monster walleye ice fishing a few years ago and once out of the water, the eyes blew out of his head. It would have never gone back into the water, so the real mount is what I decided to do.

Quote:

I have caught some trophy fish and have kept some and have released some. It depends on my mood and the timing.

I have no mounted fish or graphites in my house. I actually do not like the looks of either one.

I keep a disposable camera in my tackle box for the ones I do release. I learned this the hard way after catching several large fish I let go with no camera. I do keep and eat some large fish though.

Just curious: if you kept some and don't have any on the wall, what did you do with them?

About 5 years ago I caught a rainbow trout that exceeded my standards for getting a fish mounted. I definitely considered releasing her and getting a replica, but at the time the replicas weren't realistic so I opted for the mount.

For me, realism is everything. I want the fish to look exactly like the moment I pulled it out of the water. I didn't take 20 photos of the fish from different angles just to get a standard paint job. Sunfish that are too bright, spots on crappies that are too perfect, walleyes that are too brown or green all make me sick. Either way you go, the paint job is critical.

My father has a 13 inch sunfish on the wall that is over 30 years old and looks like it was just pulled from a lake. My trout turned out OK. From a few feet away it certainly looks like it did the day I caught it. Up close you can tell it is painted. If I found a place that made replicas that didn't look fake, I would probably try that in the future.