• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How do you unlock the White Bear Muskies??

Can anyone give some advice as to how to go about unlocking the jaws of the muskies swimming around in White Bear Lake?? I usually troll with bottom bouncers and deep diving cranks and I have not even had a single snap. Any suggestions? I would think trolling deep is the way to go on a highly pressured lake like this, but obviously it is not! Any help would be appreciated.

GoggleEye

You have to make a peace offering/sacrifice....your cowgirl would get the lake's attention......sorry....I've made my offerings to several metro lakes and have yet to receive much in return. LOL

I HAVE HAD THE BEST SUCCESS WITH BIG SPINNERS, BIG BUCKTAILS, AND SOMETHING CALLED A SAND CAT. WE USUALLY GET SERIOUS ON THAT LAKE IN OCTOBER WHEN THE TRAFFIC IS DOWN. OF COURSE, THE BIG SUCKER FISH IS ALWAYS A GOOD BET IN THE FALL TOO. ITS A GREAT WAY TO SPEND A NICE SUNDAY IN OCTOBER. LISTENING TO ANOTHER VIKINGS LOSS AND A HOPEFULLY A PACKER WIN WHILE FISHING ON A NICE FALL DAY IS ALWAYS GOOD. tongue.gif

I agree. SFBOY, if you ever need a seat filled, let me know. I'd be willing to help out on white bear anytime.

I have had several close encounters with the big

gators out there. Sadly, they were never when I had

the right tackle or were fishing for them directly.

Here is a pattern I think will work for these fish.

First off, along with your big rods and baitcasters,

bring along the panfish rigs. Even better if you got a couple guys along to do the same. Now settle down in a

spot packed with lots of sunnies, and bass. I'm talking about a spot where there is plenty of weeds nearby,and

the bait can't touch bottom without you getting another fish on. This "frenzy" of feeding fish, and those being tossed back noisily into the water, will get them going!!

I used to fish the reed beds and shallows for panfish on the south side of Manitou bridge. Numerous times, a muskie

would suddenly nail one of the pannies by the boat. I've also had them grab the fish that was on my line!! This was repeated many, many times, throughout the years I fished out there. I always wanted to try and "get em going",

then toss out a real set-up that could take on one

of those things. Maybe it could work for you??

If the two-line thing ever passes for open water

fishing, a big sucker or shiner tossed out in such a situation, would prove itself quick I'm sure!!

when my girlfriend and I go out fishing together, we do exactly that. She's catch pannies until she's tired of catching them, and then she'll grab one of my other musky rods and put a big sucker on and just let it hang in the water near the boat with the clicker on. That way, when they grab the sucker unexpectedly, you're rod isn't shooting into the water. It's worked a few times for us. It's also a great thing to do over in Wisconsin, where it's legal to fish with more than one rod. I'll have one rod with a sucker a foot or two into the water and be casting with another rods. I've caught many muskies this way!!! When you start your figure 8, do it next to the sucker.

Kingfisher, I may be heading out there soon. Do you want me to let you know when I am heading out there?? Do you have to work tomorrow night (Sunday)?? I get off work around noon on Sunday and may head out there later in the day once the powerboats and jetskis start leaving the lake. Let me know if you are free and want to go out there.

GoggleEye

I have to work tomorrow night at 6 p.m. I don't know if that works for you. I have some friends that are heading up that way around 1, so I could meet you there, but might need a ride home as I a/o a vehicle at the moment. I don't know how long you're going to stay out there....

King, I decided not to go out tonight as I wanted to watch some football and take care of stuff around the house. Let's try to get out there sometime in the morning though this week. I also got nine rainbows last night in WI after work. They are biting like mad and I couldn't even fish with more than two lines at one time. All were caught on corn on slip bobs 35 feet down. They were still biting like crazy when I left too. Sizes were in the 10-15 inch range. What morning works best for you this week? I have to work at 10 a.m. every day, so we could head out at five or so and fish for a good four hours. Let me know.

Wednesday/thursday works best for me. Let me know what's going on. Shoot me an e-mail and we can figure things out or you could give me a call on my cell. E-mail me and I'll give you my number.

I've gotten a few fish on White Bear during daylight and I'm sure all the guys who really now what they're doing can find a lot of them during all times of the day. I would suggest going at night though. Not just evenings, but after the news is over - I guarantee the line at the landing won't be too long either!:) I've fished 5 nights there since 9/1 and the results were a 38, a 44, and two more hooked but not landed. The earliest fish caught was at 11:30 PM and the latest was about 2:45 AM. Not claiming to be any sort of authroity but a buddy fished last Friday before dusk and continued until we met him at 10:30. No real fish or hits until 2AM. All the action has been on Cowgirls and all in less than 5 feet. Not sure what the cold snap did as I was out with my brother Saturday night and fished during the front with no action. Don't forget your headlamp. The best part is that I have yet to hear a jetski in the dark!

Which ramp do you park at? I'm almost positive the county one is posted as closing over night and I thought the city one did also.

I use the Matoska (SP?) park launch by the Manitou bridge. Its a bit of a pain right now to get there due to road work but its doable. I've never had any issues with the truck being parked there over night.

Quote:

Which ramp do you park at? I'm almost positive the county one is posted as closing over night and I thought the city one did also.

I think all county ramps have that listed, but I doubt they ever would enforce it. Following that rule, then nobdy could ever fish prior to about 6 am, or sunrise, and we all know that would be a useless rule to have. I don't want to make anybody get a ticket, so research it with the county, but I doubt you would ever have a problem. I have driven past Ramsey Cnty Sheriffs in the Bald Eagle lot before after dark/before sunrise and they just waved.

Thanks for the info. guys! I can't chime in on the overnight parking issue, but I have always thought that rule is pretty stupid.

I was out there tonight. Anyone else? It seemed like the only people on the lake were sailing or fishing 'skies...

It was my first time fishing muskies out there this year I got two follows but no takers.

I was out Sunday. Moved a few fish, my partner had a chance at a nice fish but never got the hookset. My streak of 30" muskies continues mad.gif I caught a nice fat 35" fish... just cant seem to crack that 40" mark...

The fish we did see/caught came from burning bucktails anyhwere from 4-11 fow.