• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

winter puppy

R. Miller

Thinking about putting money down on an English Setter...pups will be 7, 8 weeks old around the first of the year. I have two 13 year old Britts, we bought them in the fall of the year. Spring is also a good time. But what about buying pups in the dead on winter in MN? That's the only thing holding me back. I figure basic commands training with a little guy could be done in the house or garage, and planted birds in the spring...but what about potty training and everything else in Jan, Feb? I don't know what to do!

Pick the best litter you can find and deal with the weather. Is the breeder local? I have house broken dogs in the winter, never had a real problem.

I agree with setterguy, personally I think the first of the year is a great time to get a hunting dog. Picked up my last lab in january, did alot of training in the garage. Potty training went well even with all the snow. I think he even enjoyed it. Even to this day at 5 years old he will only go on the remaining snow banks after the melt has started. By the time hunting season rolled around in October, he was ready to roll at 10 months old. Great age to get out hunting if all your trainig has went well.

That's what I was thinking guys...thanks for the advice. Setterguy-It's Beirl Setters out of northern Wisconsin. They breed the Ryman, Old Hemlock lines. Talked to them for a while last night...look like great dogs.

I actually prefer training dogs in the winter. You dont have the heat issues, and you should be able to have that setter ready to get out in the woods next fall!! I shot birds over my 10 month old Red Setter who was a January Pup

I got my first gsp in decemember and never had an issue. Yeah late nights and its cold when you take them out to do their thing, but they also dont mess around and take care of buisness really fast because its cold out.

Plus a new dog in winter, means you will have a dog ready to go by fall when hunting seasons starts.

Good luck and have fun

Got one pup in late November, another in early Feb. Never had any troubles. But I would shovel off a pee pee area so you do not get a bunch of yellow ice on the sidewalk or driveway.

I wonder if you would make a gravel/rock area this fall and then keep that clear of snow this winter for the pup to do their business if they would continue to use only that area next spring and summer?

I know other people on FM have said they have been able to train their dogs to go in a certain area so they don't have to clean up the whole yard.