• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Greetings all, we're headed into the BWCA the last weekend in September. While we've done plenty of fishing down here in the south late in the season, I've never been in the BWCA after Labor Day & would really appreciate some general pointers.

We'll be heading into Lake One - figure it's the only time of the year it won't look like a highway. smile.gif My buddy will be looking for walleye, I'll be hunting for good-sized pike. While the pike might be in danger from me, we're poor walleye fishermen in the best of times.

So: where do we start for walleye? Will they be up (10 feet or less) by then? I don't really want to lug in minnows, will plastics do the trick? Or is trolling better? I presume by reading the posts that leeches will be extinct by the time we hit Ely?

Any hints that might land a couple of eyes would be appreciated!

Go to Lake Three instead. It is not that much further and the fishing is way better. Start looking for reefs and wind blown points and shorelines. The fish can be anywhere this time of year depending on what time of day you are fishing. Be flexible try fishing 20-35 fow. during the day and move into 7-15 fow during dawn/dusk. The water temp is still 68 degrees right now so expect walleyes to be scattered about. Bring crawlers and leeches with you. It also never hurts to bring a minnow trap up there. Minnows can be real easy to find-Look around your campsite for rock shelves, sandy shallows. Bait your trap with dry dog food.

Good Luck

Justin

JustinG, thanks for the info. We're planning on hitting the interior, just entering at Lake One, but we'll be sure to try our luck on Lake Three. We haven't brought crawlers before but we'll try it this trip. Can't hurt unless I dump them in my buddy's sleeping bag by 'accident'...

Anyone else fish in late September around Ely?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Fall patterns makes little difference on what region your in. Although every lake has some uniqueness, the principles are the same.

If the weathers warm hit the windblown shorelines in the afternoon and evening. Those warm winds will most likely be from the West. Because of that I'd start out the day on the Eastern shorelines on the breaks in around 15' of water and then move in close as the water warms. Even if your in a cold front the eyes will still be there, just deeper. Being on new water you'll be looking. Cover water with a minnow harness(spinner). Fall eyes are feeding on minnows, if this is a fishing trip then you have ask yourself if its worth the hassle of bringing minnows. Once you find where the eyes are holding you can continue to troll for them or anchor up and throw jigs/tipped with a minnow or slip bob with a minnow. If yo don't have live bait you won't be slip bobbing. Be prepared to fish shallow. You might find the eyes in very close once the sun dips, too close to troll over them, too shallow to throw jig or slip bob. A shallow diving stick bait or floating rap casted along the shorelines or troll in close with a in-line planner board.

Now I'm not saying its the only way to get eyes, its just that this is one of those "go to" patterns and should be a very good starting point.

I have fished Lake Two, mid-Sept many a time. Larger fluorescent green Mr. Twisters with leeches (scarce as you stated) for walleyes, bouncing off bottom, did the trick. Drift to find, then keep going over same area. Always liked the portable depth finder along; otherwise fish where there is current, points. Probably fished 10-12ft range during day. Excellent time of year to go. Enjoy the views and let us know how you did when you get back.

Quote:

We'll be heading into Lake One - figure it's the only time of the year it won't look like a highway.

grin.gif Good luck with that. grin.gif

I know minners can be a hassle to deal with up there, but I'd get 'em bagged and thrown in a soft cooler until you get to camp beyond the portage into Lake Two. Then just transfer them into a minnow bucket. Fishing can be tough in the fall up there, a jig/minnow combo can make it a little easier. Fish the usual spots- points, current, reefs, and windblown islands. Last Oct during a windy trip, we just anchored on the downwind side of islands and jig/minner'd them as they came thru late in the day, 12-15ft.

OK, Duffman, then it might look like 494 at 11PM vs. 5PM. I know I'm sure not going to Lake One in the middle of the summer! I've heard the horror stories. shocked.gif

Sounds like we'll be packing in some live bait. Man, minnows! If we were competent walleye fishermen I'd say screw the minnows, but we need all the help we can get, so I'm going to have to consider it.

I've heard current is good in the spring - that true in the fall then, too?

Quote:

I've heard current is good in the spring - that true in the fall then, too?

That depends how much rain we get. We just got 6" of it in the last 4 days! The lake levels are back up, so if we get more rain, there will be some current.

Justin

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I always investigate inlets. If its just a rocky run then I look for a hole at the mouth. A slow moving inlet with some depth usually have some weed growth off the main flow and is a perfect spot for the evening with slip bobs, during the day I'll give the hole a shot.

You gave some great info regarding the BWCA. Have you ever fished Wood Lake(#26 entry) up through Hula L., Good L., and Basswood L.(Hoist and Wind Bay)???? Trying to plan an early to mid-October trip. I've never fished that late up in the BWCA area...I've heard mixed views-good and bad!! Tell me what you think.

Thanks,

Jose'

Just sail through Wood and Hula Lakes and go straight to Basswood. Don't even mess around with those lakes if you are after Walleyes.

Justin

If you like to catch BIG pike, find reefs on Basswood in late October when the whitefish/tulibees are spawning.

That's when you get the 20+ trophies.