• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Gunflint report and Paradise Beach question

I have a couple questions about laker fishing in Superior but first a report from the weekend.

Spent the weekend fishing around the Poplar Lake area off the Gunflint. Sunny, windy conditions on Saturday and Sunday made canoe control challenging, but through anchoring and keeping the brakes on by back-paddling, we were able to find a few walleyes and bass on Skipper, Horseshoe and Caribou (the one off Lizz). Nothing huge…a couple of the walleyes were up shallow on the wind-blown points…tough to keep the canoe in position, but part of the reason I love fishing those lakes. Also picked up a nice brookie trolling a tiny Husky Jerk through Lizz…had to eat a little crow on that one as it was the girlfriend who insisted on dragging a lure through after I told her she was wasting her time and we should just paddle through to Caribou.

Spent a couple mornings fishing on Poplar – pretty slow. I never do much on that lake.

Here is the Lake Superior question: I’ve heard Paradise Beach north of Grand Marais is a nice place to camp on the water and have a fire. Any chance a guy could pick up a laker shore casting there in late September? Not sure of there is anything there to draw fish in. I’ve put in some time for loopers and salmon, so I know Superior isn’t a numbers game, but just wondering if it is a complete waste of time to try casting there…

Thanks for any info you might be willing to share.

We used to live about 3 miles from Paradise Beach. I have caught a number of lakers, stealhead, a few coho and one northern trolling around where the Brule River dumps into the lake and to the west. The best conditions seemed to be after some rain and a steady NE breeze for a few days. For shore casting I would head down to the river and give it a try. Most of my fishing down there is in late June through July. Maybe come late september there will some salmon or even stealhead near the mouth for you. I don't know much about the camping down there.