• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Spinning wing decoy invention...

Okay, maybe this isn't exactly an invention confused.gif...but it's atleast an idea.

Last year, the ground was frozen solid for the last 3 weeks of the season. It took an act of god to get the posts for our spinners into the ground. So, I came up with this contraption to eliminate this problem.

Pretty simple to make..

1. Sand down a 5 gallon bucket (need to sand down so paint will stick better and won't scratch off.)

2. Fill with Quick Crete ($5 bag) 1/3 full

3. Place a 12" PVC pipe into the bucket and let dry.

4. Paint the bucket with your choice of flat paint

Now, I am just wondering how to attach stubble onto this. I am thinking about tying a bungy cord around it to place stubble in. Each weighs about 20-25 lbs, but with the handle still attached, it's nothing to throw into your trailer of pick-up bed.

What do you think? Any suggestions to make this idea better?

100_0229.jpg

100_0230.jpg

how about weld some pieces on there to make a tripod? or make a separate piece that connects to the original pole with a tripod.

but that "invention" you came up with is pretty slick too that way it can't blow over when its windy!

GOOOD THINKIN!

Dude, do you have a bunch of tall grass or corn stalks?? If so, you can wrap em around the bucket and wrap a bungee around the "Stubble wrap." That would hold it tight.

I have something kinda sorta similar and I wrapped the base and pole with burlap that I spray painted lines on. That seems to work fairly well.

Looks sweet.

Nice idea.

Any duck that sees that bucket is either dead or a hen passed on by the hunting party. If the bucket is plainted flat black or brown.... they will not see it ...

The weigh is necessary to keep the "vibrations" from knocking over the bucket. I do not see a tripod as being effective - again too much energy moving down the pole..

i guess i would just use one or two of those big thick rubberbands for stubble straps, throw some bean stubble or cornstalks in there and u should be good to go, rubberbands are cheap and would blend in good, keep it simple

The thing I think would help, as space is always an issue for us, is to somehow make them be able to stack into each other, sort of like those plastic lawn chairs.... or dixie cups, etc. Maybe have bigger PVC at bottom, and narrower at top... or even better yet, do you even need the PVC to stick above the cement? If it didn't then the pails would stack right into each other. Just a thought.

For attaching stubble, I would go to Ace and get about 15 feet of thin bungie material (at about $.30 per foot). Cut it, tie it around the bucket, paint it same color as bucket, and walla, put any stubble in it you want.

Good idea, easier than messing with frozen ground, as long as you can drive to the spot smile.gif

Rost you could simply use spray glue on the bucket and throw a bunch of straw on it and when it dries spray some more on and add more straw or use what the combine leaves after its done picking the beans or corn.

Since you don't have the pail filled all the way to the top in concrete already, why not make something that has a lower profile.

Guess thats an easy answer... smaller pail. If you can find a bunch of smaller pails that have a lower profile, yet still have enough capacity to provide the weight needed to keep the decoy upright in wind, that would be the answer.

A typical tractor tire inner tube has about the same diameter (if not smaller) as your bucket. Cut 1" wide strips off of that and use them as stubble straps as previously mentioned.

Why not use Hanson's idea of cutting the bucket shorter and then cover the remaining bucket with old burlap. It would fit in with most field cover and it could be glued on so you don't worry about damaging it. Any bird close enough to see that its fabric would be seriously dead by then.

It is great seeing new ideas and trying to come up with your own as well. A little off subject, but wanted to mention this in case it helped someone else (most probably already know this trick). While spring snow goose hunting, we learned a great trick for frozen ground. Cordless drills. If the ground is frozen and you can't even get the stakes for the decoys to stick in the ground. Get a drill bit the appropriate size and one guy drills and another guy follows placing decoys. Worked slick.

I am not so concerned about the height of the bucket. I thought about cutting it down, but then I would lose my handle. I could maybe try a smaller bucket though.

Guys, after a lot of thought, I've decided that this can no longer be called a "bucket" it's now called "THE Ducket"!... get it? Ha ha ha. Sorry. Dumb I know.

I like that idea Rost, we had the same problem last year. Luckily we were hunting corn and just shoved the spinner pole in the corn stalk.

You guys getting ready to open up this weekend?

Hey Flick- It's been awhile. Yes, everyone is getting ready for the opener except for me...My sister is getting married back in MN on Saturday confused.gif.

You coming down to sodak again this year?

you can remove the handle and move it down after you cut it. Drill holes in the side. Probobly before cement is poured. grin.gif

Rost- We won't be comin down this year, didn't even apply. Didn't really have enough reliable guys to plan a trip. Wish everything wouldn't have froze right before we got there last year, it was still a good time though.

Just have to stick with hunting ND all fall, I guess thats not all bad either....