• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Trolling Cranks

JonnyD

I'm a rookie to the big pond. I just moved to the area this year and have only fished it 3 times so far. My Dads coming up this weekend and would like to get him on a couple nice eyes. I'm only familiar with the 7 mile/busters flat area and surrounding. I also have the lake masters gps chip, so I can find most of the polular areas. It sounds like right now the best chance to catch some eyes is to pull #11 Taildancers. Is this still the best bet in this area or can I go back to rigging?

My question is, how do I know where to start trolling out in this area? Do I troll on top of the flats, on the edge of them, or off them a few 100 yards and troll in no mans land. It sounds like a lot of guys go in no mans land and fish for suspended walleyes. My question is where? Is any one willing to point me in the right direction. I'm not looking for your gps cordinate, but maybe a general area where you've caught a few before trolling. When fishing in no mans land, do you just put the boards and start trolling, or do you actually drive around and look for suspended fish or bait fish.

Or am I better putting some spinners on and just fishing around the flats?

Any help would be great.

Use your electronics to locate fish in the areas your talking about, If your not marking fish chances are your not going to catch any. grin.gif

Come on guys, I'm not looking for your gps spots. Just wondering where to start looking for suspended fish. Any one want to share where the've had luck in the past..Any direction at all would be great. IE looking around 3 mile, 7 mile, 8 miles, Busters, Shermans, where should be a good starting point to start looking for suspended fish, or where have people had luck in the past?

You could always try trolling after dark (shallow on the rocks). Agate Reef or maybe in front of Fischer's. Use Shallow running shad raps size 5, 7, or 9, depending on the depth. Colors clown , firetiger, crawfish, gold, chart.

Maybe too early though, but who knows. Water temps are still around 70 according to some other posts a few days ago.

Or try throwing out lighted bobbers on the reefs with small glow jigs and leeches.

If you are a rookie on Mille Lacs I would be very careful trolling the reefs at night. If you have a GPS unit I would go out in the day and chart a course and save it. I am not sure about Agate but most of the milk run reefs on the south end don't have enough water to float a boat. These shallow reefs are going to eat more than one lower unit this fall. Just have to be very careful and think ahead.

i was on three mile yesterday morining. tried crankbaits for short while with no luck... we then anchored with good old slip bobbers and leeches.. caught 11 walleys largest being 23"

It's nasty for sure on the South End. I would get out to any reef you are going to fish a couple hours early, and map it out.(GPS ). Hopefully this will avoid the "hungry rock" bite!!

I've been fishing Mille Lacs for 20 years, but it's a whole new game when your'e dealing with shallow conditions, and when fishing after dark.

Is the water level at a record low with the lack of rain over the last two seasons???

JonnyD,

Crankbaiting on Mille Lacs fall in three categories: 1-Leadcore and smaller 2-4 inch cranks which cannot reach the 23-30 foot level on there own. I usually use 18 lb leadcore (usually 3-6 colors)and start working areas where I observe bait pods and fish arches. Leadcore is an experience thing which is very speed dependant(1.8-2.7 mph). Common areas are seven mile to nine mile, the entire length of 8 mile ect. Do not be afraid to venture way off the flats as the Big fish often do. Work 23-32 feet zones of water where you see bait and fish. 2- Longlining No-Stretch lines like Fireline. This works with larger deeper diving cranks such as the aforementioned Deep tail Dancer, Reef Runners, Hot and Tots ect. Speed is a factor here as well but does not affect depth like leadcore. This time of year 2.0-3.5 mph is common. Purchase the dive curve book (Precision Trolling) and go to town. 3- Longlining shad raps and minnow baits over structure such as rock reefs, flats, and weedbeds. This works great on Mille Lacs, expecially at night. Daytime trolling on the reef edges 8-12 feet can be good also. laugh.gif

I have also had success using clip on weights 1 oz. - 2 1/2 oz. sizes to get my crank baits in the strike zone of deeper water. Let out 35-50 feet of line, clip on a weight and let out another 75-100 feet line. Just like with everything else there are variables to take into consideration - so trial and error.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st
    • leech~~
      As I get older it's really not just about sending bullets down range.  Some of it's just the workmanship of the gun and the wow factor. The other two guns I have really wanted which I'll never have now because of their price, is a 8mm Jap Nambu and 9mm German Luger.   Just thought they always looked cool!  
    • jim curlee
      I had a guy hit me with a lightly used 1969 BAR, he wanted $1650 with an older Leupold scope. More than I think they are worth, I made an offer, he declined end of story.   You know if you look at the old brochures, a grade II BAR sold for $250 in the late 60s, $1650 would be a good return on your investment.    Why would anybody want a 50 year old gun, they are heavy, have wood stocks, and blued metal.  I guess mainly to keep their gun safes glued to the floor. lol   You can probably buy a stainless rifle that you never have to clean, with a synthetic stock you never have to refinish, is as light as a feather, and for half as much money, perfect.   I'm too old for a youth gun, although I've shrunk enough that it would probably fit. lol   No Ruger 10/44s.   Jim      

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.