• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Where were the geese?

I brought the goose stuff up in the event some birds were in the area I have permission for hunting some larger tracts of land.

I didnt see a single goose within miles of the land we hunt(East of Battle Lake about 10 miles).

Quite the change from years past. I did notice the headline in the Outdoor News this week stated goose populations were down 27% over last year. I believe that.

Anyone get lucky?

By golly den I tink mos' dem gooses was in my yard dis mornin'.

Not as many around right here, but I see some of the guys with batches of dead 'uns in dere trucks.

I spoke to a couple COs on Sunday and a group shot 32.

Hey, BLB, with a little "work" you may have found some geese. tongue.gifgrin.gif

When we had that cooler weather a week or so ago geese were in the fields a lot. This warmer weather has really changed their patterns from what I've seen.

I assume your "work" hours are a bit trimmed back now too.

grin.gif

We got plenty of "work" done preparing for deer once we saw the lack of birds around our area. It worked out kinda nice actually.

we got two on sat for two guys in oat stubble, didn't see much, probably less than 30 geese all morning. we did have about 75-100 woodies try to land in the decoys as we were setting up, so that was cool

on sunday our group of 7 shot 15, but we only had 18 geese come into the decoys. so we capitalized on our chances pretty well. we seen maybe 60 geese and there were a few flocks of 10-12 pretty high in "V" formation

it's pretty obvious numbers are down from the last few years.

both places that we hunted were near traditional roost ponds that usually hold 100-200 geese on a good year. one of the ponds doesn't even have water this year.

I was out fishing yesterday on your favorite walleye lake and did not see a single goose...usually I see quite a few..I did hear two distant shots...On the way back to the cabin I had two sandhill cranes almost take my roof rack off though.. grin.gif

A couple roosts near me had no birds on them. Looks like the heat may have changed their patterns a bit, or they just bugged out.

BLB,

I did alot of scouting that weekend, only saw a few fields holding geese, and small numbers. I couldn't even find a good dove field that I felt like setting up on. I went fishing instead, cept 5 walleyes around 15-17" and threw back one that was 27" and one that was almost 31"

BLB, if you get a chance, shoot me an email, [email protected] thanks