• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Trail cam settings

FishinFreaks

Just got my first trail cam. Got a Stealth Cam I450. I'm way excited. As I'm going through the set up, I'm uncertain about a couple choices I have.

1) I have a 1 GB SD card, so I think I'll do the 4.0 MP setting. I can put 750 pics on it at that setting. The other options are 1.3 MP and then a tiny setting. Steer me away from this decision if you think it's a poor one.

2) I'm wondering about how many pics you have it take per triggering and how long between re-sets on it. Do you go 2 pics per trigger (it can do up to 9)? Do you go 5 minutes between triggering? 10 minutes? 15?

Thanks for any input. I'm hoping to put it out on Sunday or Monday. Can't wait!!!

when i start a camera in a new area i set it to 3 pics per trigger just to get a good look at what is setting it off. and then trim it down from there. i check mine once a week, once i have a pic of most of the deer around the area i will set it to a pic per trigger with a time out of five minutes just to keep from it anoying the deer.

Thanks Rotweiler. On the initial set up, how long would you set it for between triggers?

on the intial i would set it to take as many pics as possible. if your getting a ton of pics per day then set it to time out longer and/or take less pics per trigger. i have mineral blocks in front of mine. the only thing is mineral blocks are becoming less attractive to bucks now. so start off with it taking lots of pics. another tip ive learned is place your camera waist hieght and angled looking down the trail.

no matter which brand you have, the trigger speed isnt as quick as youd like. the best advise i can give for getting pics is to place something in front of your camera to get the deer to stop, whether its a scent or food put something to pause them for a couple seconds.

i forgot to say, mineral blocks and such are out now so put corn or some other feed in front of it(unless its by your stand, illegal). these cameras are the greatest tool for seeing what size bucks are calling your hunting area "home". i wouldnt put them within 200yd of your stand if you can help it just because of scent reasons. but in urban areas you can get away with it. ive found trail cams almost as much fun as siting in the stand! i have a stealth cam 3.0 and 2.0 so if you have any questions on settings just ask. ive been checking posts almost daily. hope you see your shooter.

P.S. dont get discouraged by night pics only of your buck, hunt after noons during the last quarter moon they move more during the last hour of light.

I also bought a new I450. Its been out for 2 weeks now. I will be checking it on saturday. How many triggers and how long the delay kind of depends on how you are using it. If you're on a trail or similar intersection you want as many as possible. If you're over a food plot or mineral site then the deer will hang there more and you might fill your card too quickly.

Mines on a new plot planted in Aug. so I set mine for 3pics and wait 5 mins.

I also used the high setting. The sensor is only a 1.3MP and the 4.0 is reached through enhancement. There is a bit of a difference in the quality so I decided on high. With a 1gb card you'll be fine.

Be very careful on the baiting idea going forward.

The laws were changed a couple years back on the wording.

Before you couldnt hunt with bait in sight or something like that.

Now the wording is explicity saying you cant hunt in a area that you "know" has bait. That opens a new can of worms.

Best to go with minerals or scents starting very soon.

From the regs:

- Hunters are not allowed to use bait or hunt in the vicinity of bait that the hunter knows about or has reason to know about or hunt in the vicinity where bait has been placed within the previous ten days.